It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"JESUS was born in 4-6 B.C, and crucified in 34 A.D.???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I was asking myself this question, how many years were there before year one A.D. I am guessing 1,000??, I did some research and came across this article saying that Jesus was born in 4-6 B.C. not 1 A.D. as was previously thought, so was he over one thousand years old before he started performing these miracles that eventually got him crucified at 34 A.d.???Forgive me the bible lingo is rather confusing to me sometimes, when I do the math it doesn't

What is the meaning of BC and AD (B.C. and A.D.)? BC AD, B.C. A.D. Question: "What is the meaning of BC and AD (B.C. and A.D.)?" Answer: It is commonly thought that BC stands for "before Christ" and AD stands for "after death." This is only half correct. How could the year 1 B.C. have been "before Christ" and 1 A.D. been "after death"? BC does stand for "before Christ." AD actually stands for the Latin phrase "anno domini" which means "in the year of our Lord." The B.C. / A.D. dating system is not taught in the Bible. It actually was not fully implemented and accepted until several centuries after Jesus' death. It is interesting to note that the purpose of the BC / AD dating system was to make the birth of Jesus Christ the dividing point of world history. However, when the B.C. / A.D. system was being calculated, they actually made a mistake in pinpointing the year of Jesus' birth. Scholars later discovered that Jesus was actually born in around 4-6 BC, not 1 AD. That is not the crucial issue. The birth, life, ministry, death, and resurrection of Christ are the "turning points" in world history. It is fitting, therefore, that Jesus Christ is the separation of "old" and "new." BC was "before Christ" and since His birth, we have been living "in the year of our Lord." Philippians 2:10-11, "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
does it go backwards or forwards, say he was born in 4 B.C. then the next year would be 3 B.c and the 2 B.c if so why would stop and go backwards?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by brooklyn87
so was he over one thousand years old before he started performing these miracles that eventually got him crucified at 34 A.d.???

I don't think it was the miracles that got him crucified.

When he overturned the money changers at the temple it was because of the practice of blood sacrifices. Jesus spoke out about the nonsense of some of the religious rituals of the time.

Jesus was crucified because he was upsetting the pocketbooks of those in power. He was crucified for telling the truth about the deceptions. He was set up by a secret brotherhood that had infiltrated the Sanhedrin as well as the Roman government.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
BC dates go backwards and AD dates go forwards. 4 BC- 34 AD would be 38 years

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am not worried what got him crucified, but if B.C goes backwards then why? that is my question, why not go forward in one long stream of time, and what date did time begin

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by brooklyn87

i think what you posted with your question answers it...

AD doesnt stand for after death...it's a latin phrase, meaning in the year of our lord.

and yea..no way to determine exactly when this jesus guy was born...well actually...there is bc there was that emporer guy killing babies being born that year....so if we pin point exactly that year, then you have when jesus was born.

but that shouldnt be anywhere near important to the faith.

but to spell it out for you. no jesus was not 1000 years old. he was in his 30s when he was put to death.
*edit..it is commonly believed he was in his 30s...and that's pretty much all we can go on.

[edit on 10/24/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I am not worried what got him crucified, but if B.C goes backwards then why? that is my question, why not go forward in one long stream of time, and what date did time begin

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

bc man made the time table forever after it happened.

many different cultures started recording time at different points.

i guess if you really want that answer...find out what's the earliest recorded point of time...then you got your answer...i'm not about to go on that goose chase though.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If he didn't die until 34A.D. then why label 1 a.d. when he wasn't dead yet?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

BECAUSE AD DOESNT STAND FOR AFTER DEATH. you answered that for yourself...read your quote you put in....come on dude...

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Understandable, but again what year did B.c. begin

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Where do you get the number 1000? As the quote says, bc means "before Christ. They got the dates wrong so that sometime between what we call 6 bc and 4 bc, meaning between 4 and 6 years before we used to think that Jesus was born, Jesus was really born. They can't get the whole world to change their calendars because someone made a mistake in the second century. If Jesus was born in 6 bc and died in 34 ad, he would have been 40 when he died. There was no year zero.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Honestly, there is no good reason why BC dates go backward other than to make it seem like all of history was counting down to the birth of Christ. The concept behind "Anno Domini" is that we are now living in a different world than the pre-Christian world.

It's really kind of stupid in the end

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I didnt realize it went backwards in B.c, but when did it start, it sounds so simple but so complicated

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

google it....i'm sure you can find the answer for yourself..lets not be lazy here.

lets deny laziness along with ignorance.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Understandable, but again what year did B.c. begin

Well, according to the system, 1the first year of BC started shortly after the Big Bang, I suppose lol

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Shadowflux]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
It just seems weird to me to count time to the birth of Christ, back then did anyone know he was coming? did they think "OK when he is four years old we will start time over?"

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
according to scientist the dinosaurs died over millions of years ago, so that would make it 998,000 B.C when they became extinct?

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
if it helps any brooklyn87, for people of the jewish faith it is something like the year 5773, which is about as old as recorded history is right now

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

It just seems weird to me to count time to the birth of Christ, back then did anyone know he was coming? did they think "OK when he is four years old we will start time over?"

No one knew he was coming, unless you believe as the Christians do. Honestly, it's just BS thought up by the Vatican however long ago. It has no relevancy to anything unless you are a Christian, I suppose

However, there other calendars that people follow, for instance, it is not the year 2009 in the Jewish calendar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join