It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi Says: 'Are You Serious?'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

And house speaker Pelosi is right to be dismissive. If folks would read the constitution themselves instead of handing out rhetorical questions on ther assumptions, they would find that Article I of the Constitution gives Congress the power:

“to regulate commerce…among the several states” as well as the authority to “make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution” its power to regulate commerce

www.law.cornell.edu...

Justice Antonin Scalia (a conservative) even admitted this fact:
www.law.cornell.edu...

So really, if conservatives are going to walk around asking rhetorical questions based over their assumptions, you'd better expect that it will probably not be addressed.

SG

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Excuse me? A speaker of the House NEVER has the RIGHT to be dismissive. Not under my Constitution.

I_R

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I dont now who to believe about america at this point? Pelosi, Beck, Obama, Olberman thier all the same to me.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker

Excuse me? A speaker of the House NEVER has the RIGHT to be dismissive.

Uh yes she does. She doesnt have to answer every pundit that has their own ideological agenda, period. Theres nothing forcing her to respond to every media pundit, reporter, you name it. Toughies if you didnt like her answer.

Not under my Constitution.

The I suppose your constitution has nothing to do with the real constitution of the United States I just referenced above.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Umm...no she doesn't...not if she wants to be re-elected.

And yes, my Constitution...the one that says they work for us, not the other way around in whatever words YOU want to quote.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Please elaborate on how the interstate commerce power actually has any bearing on medicinal issues... keep in mind that your letter from scalia actually states that its a separate and non binding opinion... and is in no way legal precedent

and note again that all those cases cited have nothing to do with health care, nor the ability to make citizens pay "fines" for a universal health care system... as there is no legal precedent on Universal Health Care (becuase there never has been Universal Healthcare) Your grabbing at some pretty flimsy straws. This will ultimately go to the Supreme Court im sure.

So yes Pelosi should answer the question and the man asking was not a pundit.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Umm...no she doesn't...

Exactly. Thankyou for admitting so.

if she wants to get re-elected? What, is she destroying her chances with the WND and Limbaugh voting segment? I didnt know she had that chance??

In anycase Pelosi has a low approval rating, I dont see her caring much about her losses to the rightwing segment.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
where does the constitution force Americans to:

Pay income taxes
Pay for car insurance
Pay into social security (even though i'll never see a cent)
Forced to get vaccinations (grade school, high school, etc)
forced to go to school (truancy laws)

i mean the list goes on and on man.

You can't say that 'some' violations of our "civil liberties" are "okay" and others "are not". A rose by any other name still has a lot of thorns with which to make you bleed.

If you're going to attack someone for stupidity, hey good, go for it, seriously...but don't be one sided in your approach.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Hey SG, by your argument, my business is failing. Hence you and only you are required to hire me to remodel your home. I, of course, will be setting the price. Because someone such as you, a consumer, need not worry because I will have your best interests at heart.

Oh, and if you cannot afford it, that is all right. We will just have to fine you in the amount of 8% of your wages for the rest of your life. Unless you sooner or later can afford to pay it.

And if you cannot afford the 8%, well I will just have to come over there and seize your property.

PRETTY GOOD ANALOGY HUH? Interstate commerce, will the defenders of idiocy please stand up, come on, just stand up.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Like most politicians she forgets for whom she works. At this moment in USAmerican history the only reason she doesn't stand out as the worst of the worst partisan politicos is that she is in the company of Harry Reid (an oddly feeble-minded individual imo) and the Chicago Mob in the White House.

Like most politicians with enormous power in the States -- whether Republican or Democrat makes no difference -- she has no qualms about saying the Constitution empowers her actions. Her great problem though is revealed in the manner she responded to the question put to her: the problem with Pelosi is that she is a graceless, arrogant creep.

In my opinion the only thing worse that could happen to the States is if some tragedy left her as the unelected President of the United States.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by janon
reply to post by purplemer

I acknowledge your post but I don't understand it. Can you translate that into English?

Also, if the UK is so great, why is it being taken over by Muslims?

hey bud dont get me wrong, u have 2 some extent misundertood me. Me is not saying the UK is so great. There are many problems here that are spreading and getting worse. The muslims are not one of them, they are people and one thing that is gd about the uk is it mutlicutured tolerence. Muslims r not a problems the media defining them as such is.
regarding the rest of me post me was just tryin 2 say that the healthcare system we have over her works. It might not be the best healthcrare system in the world but it does work and everyone and anyone can use it.
peeps moan about it, but peeps moan about a lot of things.
It kinda gets on my tits when peeps in america start moaning about having a national healthcare system as most would benefit from it.
Peeps should be treated more equl and guys seem not to like that. Mb dats the same reason u thinks its ok to start wars on other peeps around world.
One day the world will be made even more equel and u guys r all gonna complain like hell and when dat happens im getting myself a pair of ear mufflers

ps me not bashin ur country as i said many things r rubbish over here 2

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Umm...no she doesn't...

Exactly. Thankyou for admitting so.

What???

if she wants to get re-elected? What, is she destroying her chances with the WND and Limbaugh voting segment? I didnt know she had that chance??

No, she's losing her base...there's a difference.

In anycase Pelosi has a low approval rating, I dont see her caring much about her losses to the rightwing segment.

I'm not worried about her losing any segment except the ones that vote for her. Keep it up Pelosi...your chances are waning with your own base.

[edit on 10/24/09 by idle_rocker]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
where does the constitution force Americans to:

Pay income taxes
Pay for car insurance
Pay into social security (even though i'll never see a cent)
Forced to get vaccinations (grade school, high school, etc)
forced to go to school (truancy laws)

i mean the list goes on and on man.

You can't say that 'some' violations of our "civil liberties" are "okay" and others "are not". A rose by any other name still has a lot of thorns with which to make you bleed.

If you're going to attack someone for stupidity, hey good, go for it, seriously...but don't be one sided in your approach.

First Post on ATS, been stalking in the shadows for a month or so now. This just got me going...

Pay income taxes - 16th Amendment. The American people voted on it, thats how an amendment works. Forty-two of the 48 states at the time agreed to the amendment.

Pay for car insurance - Pretty sure this is a State regulation (backup?)

Pay into social security - From FDR's New Deal. Several recent presidents have been focusing (at least floating the ideas) of privitization of social security.

Forced to get vaccinations - This is just false. Again, somthing passed by states if at all (I think Rick Perry of Texas tried/did this) IN FACT, the SCOTUS has upheld the peoples rights to say no to the state on "forced" vaccinations.
Link: theburningplatform.com...

forced to go to school - You don't have to go to a public school. You don't have to go to a private school. My niece is going to be homeschool from the get go. I know plenty of people who never finished high school , dropped out young and while most don't have a dream job, i've met a few sucessful businessmen that went this route.

I would like to point out that I'm not a fan of all of these subjects, and I am definatly not a fan of Pelosi or Gov't healthcare. I just like seeing facts properly displayed.

If I broke any rules or any hearts in my first post, go easy please.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Whats so funny is that people cry that they don't want to have to pay for other people's health insurance, but if your in the private industry: you already do.

You really think that the only thing insurance companies consider is price when offering it to your employer?

They consider the health of everyone there. They consider their ages, they consider their past medical histories, they consider the children they have, and how many employees are at the office. And what the jobs are that they are doing.
Do you really think they don't consider anything when offering a price?

They are for profit. If you have people in your office that are: older, sick, or have kids. You are payign for them.

In fact, they actually have a group of companies they like to compete for, and give the best deals too, because they cost less and make more of a profit.

so you are paying for every medium your company exhibits. Why do you think everyone pays different rates at different companies? Outside of what the employer covers?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
By the way, the question just borders on the silly and is just a gotcha question. And everyone is mad Pelosi didn't fall for it.

The constitution is a document. Not an encylopedia britannica listing every little scenario it applies too.

If it was, we wouldn't need a supreme court to decipher the amendments as they apply to different situations.d

I would actually find it creepy to ascripe to a document that acted like a standard operating procedure and dictated how we accomplished every little step.

What I find sad is that it is now being degraded and abused by the right much like the bible to whirl people in a frenzy and make them believe their rights are being eroded away.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Please learn to post in English, instead of trying to sound like a "Brother" with the vocabulary of a two year old.
And it's not that we don't want every one to have access to health care, but I don't believe that I should have to pay for someone else's illness.

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Congress derives the authority to mandate that people purchase health insurance from its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce.

Funny, but purchasing health insurance across state lines is PROHIBITED BY LAW!

Notice the irony?
For this bogus authority to become valid, Congress would have pass a bill allowing health insurance to be purchased from out-of-state providers, which is a non-government-run health insurance reform option.
Pelosi vehemently opposes all non-government-run options.

So what will it be Nancy; no real Constitutional authority or a true free market solution?

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

Please learn to post in English, instead of trying to sound like a "Brother" with the vocabulary of a two year old.
And it's not that we don't want every one to have access to health care, but I don't believe that I should have to pay for someone else's illness.

You are joking right? You dont wana pay 4 someone elses illness, u peeps get worse and worse. i mean how selfish can u get!
mabe tis a good idea to get real, get with the programme and have a little compasion to life. I dont wana have to pay for some greedy peps lack of compassion in life but i mit have too. I guess u dont want to pay any money to the poor starving peeps in africa, whilst u sit there stuffing burgers down your oversized throat.
And i dont give two flying hootless owls about wat u think of the way i write and talk. things are the way they are

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Sorry cant say that I agree. First of all we are in a recession overhauling health care will be an easy fall into depression. Fining non compliants 700 a piece? well that lines the governments pockets but leaves the actual consumers with alot less. Not to mention taking diversity and competition down to nil... Economically speaking "worst idea ever"

And what happened to people deciding whether or not they even wanted health care. I could have afforded it in my 20's but thats stupid i could easily have spent the money on things that I wanted to buy.

Im sorry but we are doing the youth of the nation a huge disservice

[edit on 24-10-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by masterp

It's so funny that Americans do not want health care for all.

That's not quite true. Americans want everyone to have healthcare. Americans just happen to think that it shouldn't be given freely (as that makes cost goes up somewhere) and they don't want the government to run the healthcare system.

Sorry, my bad. It's so funny that Americans do not want to give a little from their profits in order to have health care for all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join