It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call off your dogs!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Alright...

Let's assume that Sit X has occured, you have your palace in the woods (or anywhere else), and you are tucking in for a bit, but unknown to you is that the dogs of the area, now abandoned and neglected, are banding together and heading into the countryside to find food. Let's assume that their supply of food in refuse and trash has been depleted and they have moved to hunt in the wild as packs.

How can you stop these menaces from troubling you? Are there ways to dodge their well trained nose?

I assume that keeping your food wrapped well and out of reach will be a good start, but how can you stop them from pestering you and your camp? And what if you have a dog of your own?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I would set bear like traps around my camp sowhen the dogs got close snap.. dog for dinner and new fur coat for my wife.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
12 Ga with 00 shot.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Just send a message around to your fellow buddies from afar, to let-em know your gonna have a big luncheon/buffet and they are invited!

ETA....Theres no reason to tell-em whats on the menu!

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I'm a minority. We don't have palaces.
We're not allowed by TPTB.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

when we went backpacking in bear country, it was a necessity to put food into a bag and hang it from a tall tree limb away from camp to keep bears from showing up for dinner. It would work, but it would get old quick. I would probably go for the third eye option after a while.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
If they have made it to the point of pack mentallity, it is easy to control the "pack" shoot Mr. dominate 1st

Its like coyote hunting...in ways....if there is more than one dog you want to shoot, which one do you shoot 1st? easy question...

The one furthest away, because after the 1st shot, the one furthest away, is the one most likely to get away, in the turn and run...

link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

How can you stop these menaces from troubling you?

Just call the local Chinese restaurant...

They will take care of this problem asap, with no questions asked...win-win for everyone!

link   
Honestly, I'd feed em. No better ally in a survival situation than a dog or two, and f they are hungry, they will be loyal to you if you establish that you are their master and will provide food.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The reasons why canines travel in packs is because they are naturally scavengers. Thus they are, by nature, cowardly.

Yes, dogs can be nurtured into aggressiveness, and even naturally in a pack, can sometimes be aggressive. However, it doesn't take much to deter either a single aggressively bred dog or a pack of aggressive feral dogs.

Loud sounds are all it takes to scare them off (just as with bears).

Fighting back is all it takes to scare them off (just as with bears).

Killing the Alpha is all it takes to scare them off (perhaps permanently).

If you have no fear, and show that to a pack of canines, they will not attack unless they think that you are too weak to back up your lack of fear.

(And if all else fails, hiss and gutturally growl like an angry cat! It is instinctual in dogs to fear that warning sound. Hearing that sound coming from a human will make them even more confused and frightened. I say this from experience after being attacked by a pack of feral Rottweilers while I was walking home drunk one night.)

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
All dogs, unless feral to begin with, will seek out the company of Humans. Thousands of years worth of domestication can't be wiped out in a year, regardless of how bad things are.

And if Sit-X does occur, I would personally feel much more comfortable having a couple of well trained dogs with me in my camp. You can't find or build a better intruder alarm system, nor can you find or hire a better, more loyal friend.

In Sit-X, friends like that will be hard to find.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky
reply to post by Jkd Up

Just call the local Chinese restaurant...

They will take care of this problem asap, with no questions asked...win-win for everyone!

I got no problem with that!!! No one can make cat and dog like them!

...Or is that stereotyping them....

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FantasmaTaans

You should upgrade your zoning board! I won't survive in anything less than 900 square foot with central heat/air

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hmmm well since you said they where previously domesticated I would probably make a point to re-domesticate them. Utilize their natural hunting ability for the purpose of survival. I would first need a means to feed them in order to gain their trust. (Note to self: bring dog food with you)

I've seen quite a few dogs that adopt new masters. Some of these are dogs that become violent to trespassers.

I've done a considerable amount of hunting with a Dog. They are not a hindrance, they are an asset.

Man's best friend doesn't have to be a menace, and this is your only possible ally in the animal kingdom at this point.

If this method failed I would use them as a food source. Hey a few billion Chinese can't be wrong!

[edit on 21-10-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
The reasons why canines travel in packs is because they are naturally scavengers. Thus they are, by nature, cowardly.

Yes, dogs can be nurtured into aggressiveness, and even naturally in a pack, can sometimes be aggressive. However, it doesn't take much to deter either a single aggressively bred dog or a pack of aggressive feral dogs.

Loud sounds are all it takes to scare them off (just as with bears).

Fighting back is all it takes to scare them off (just as with bears).

Killing the Alpha is all it takes to scare them off (perhaps permanently).

If you have no fear, and show that to a pack of canines, they will not attack unless they think that you are too weak to back up your lack of fear.

(And if all else fails, hiss and gutturally growl like an angry cat! It is instinctual in dogs to fear that warning sound. Hearing that sound coming from a human will make them even more confused and frightened. I say this from experience after being attacked by a pack of feral Rottweilers while I was walking home drunk one night.)

This is not true will all dogs. I have a GSD and he was shot twice by a guys who was tresspassing. The dog took 26 stiches and 2 months to recover. The guy lost an eye and took over 70 stiches 40+ is his face and head. It was all I could do to get the dog off of him. In fact i left him in the woods while I took the dog to the vet. I called the DNR on the way and they met him at his truck about the time he found his way back to it. He hasen't come back.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

They're not that sweet when a stranger (man or animal) comes onto the property.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

In normal situations you may well be right. But consider the fact that if TOTWAWKI just happened, what you will have is a bunch of starving animals that may have already taken down or at the very least at least scavenged human flesh. Things change in a situation such as this. There are already cases on the books where feral dog packs have attacked humans, how much more so when these packs grow and have to start competing with others for a food source.

As for me and mine we will shoot on sight any stray that we might come across.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

While stored food may be at risk from packs of wild dogs, they may become a greater threat to humans.

In rural America a few generations back, packs of wild dogs were a threat to humans. Throw in the occasional case of rabies, and it got worse.

I recall reading of the events after the Goths, Visigoths, and Vandals got finished with the Roman world. Due to the loss of life to invaders, starvation, and disease, wild animals became a significant threat to the remaining populace.

On other threads, I noted that spear points and butt caps can be gotten and stored until needed. I pointed out that there's nothing like a six to eight foot spear to fend off unfriendly critters.

Packs of animals will take a child in a skinny minute.

History has lots of lessons therein, and it's good to not only know what happened, but why.

Yes.

Dogs will become a problem in the absence of aggressive control methods.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Interesting thread...I have a couple real life incidents about it. First, I worked for a small rural PD and we actually had a group of 4 or 5 dogs that started running as a pack. They got aggressive with people walking around the city and became a problem. The dogs made a "den" of sorts in a ditch just on the outskirt of town. Ironically, had they walked into the farmland ans messed around they would have been taken out by local farmers very quickly, but I digress. We ended up calling in animal control and chasing these dogs down. Animal control was able to tranquilize them and remove them. My point is a pack of dogs can be a significant problem. And re-domesticating them isn't a great option. Consider this. If you are in a survival situation much of your time will likely be spent hunting or gathering...Not sure if taking the time out of your day to work with dogs would be very fruitful. I think "converting" them into a food source is a better plan.

I've also been in Iraq and can tell you they have massive stray dog problems there and while you might be able to befriend a single stray as an asset, a pack is a whole other thing.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

my 22/250 with the silencer and scope.... end of problem

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join