It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you kill an animal by hand?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There are two reasons for this thread:

First off, if you were stuck to find food, and you didn't have a gun or bow. Is it possible in anyway to actually sneak up on a deer or other animal?

Since they are prey animals and have all the tools needed to run, I don't see how this is possible. I know the statisitics for hunters loaded with modern technology, and only one out of three are successful.

I was watching a show on the science channel last night about Neanderthals. They speculated that they hunted on the edges of woods, and actually stalked and ambushed the animals. They required large amounts of calories so they killed every other day.

to me that seemed a bit excessive. And they showed a deer(obviously trained or drugged) just standing there till a neanderthal snuck up and killed him.

It just seems highly implausible that an animal could ever be snuck up on.

But maybe the more experienced hunters(since I have nill for experience) can explain it to me.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I have caught two animals by hand rabbits "lots O them" and a turkey, they are really dumb...

Not that I'm smart, I just got lucky that it came within reach and I never moved until.......snap and some flapping..

I know a friend that chased a deer into water then cowboy style kinda road drowned it...

Yes there are always options..

You won't be sneeking, you will need to be laying in wait for this to be an option, I would sudgest learning to make cordage and using a snare before anything like this!

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Possible, yes, but not very practical. They can be caught off guard just like a person can, but its generally very difficult and you're also putting yourself at high risk of injury if successful. Just imagine getting bitten by a rabid squirrel or rabbit in a survival situation. Deer? No thanks. Despite the Bambi reputation, they can easily kill a person if they decide to attack.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Possible? Yes.

Practical? No.

In order to kill an animal without long-range weaponry, you basically have to become an animal yourself. Very few people can do that. I am not sure I could do that.

In the wild, despite what you see on APL, predators actually kill very rarely. Most of their attacks are thwarted. A typical predator is always hungry, always stalking, always looking for an opportunity, just to eat enough to survive. This despite the fact they have claws, teeth, and bodies designed specifically to hunt down and kill other animals.

We, on the other hand, do not have claws to rend flesh. We have nails to stabilize fingertips. We do not have jaws designed to rip out large hunks of flesh. We have jaws and teeth designed for eating small bites of about anything at leisure. We do not have rippling muscles that propel us at high speed towards hapless prey; we have bipedal legs that allow us to stand upright and see farther to plan for our next move.

Hope is not lost; in a survival situation, the one who uses that intelligence he has been given by nature will be the one who eats the best. Sure, we lack the tools to act like a lioness on the prowl or a wolf chasing down deer, but we do have something else: the intelligence I alluded to. We can set a trap to ensnare an animal. We can fashion tools to throw or shoot to allow us to strike from a greater distance. We can fish, using bait to entice fish into falling for the hook.

All of these things can be done using nothing more than a trusty pocketknife and some knowledge. But our greatest physical advantage, one which we share with bears and swine, is that we are not solely dependent on meat; we can also harvest for those times when the trap isn't sprung, the fish aren't biting, and we don't have the time for hunting.

So no, breaking a deer's neck with your bare hands looks great in the movies, but it doesn't work well in reality. Instead, we have something greater than brute strength and speed: our minds.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Simplicity is the mother of invention.

Snares or traps are the best way to get food. Find a high traffic animal path and set a simple high strength steel wire snare. It may not capture the animal, most will rip off their limb to escape. Yes, it sounds cruel but you were talking survival. Set numerous ones and check them each daily. Track the blood to the animal and meal ready in just 1 hour over the campfire.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Wild Pigs, Fish, Snakes, Birds and some Lizards and am sure there are many more animals that are caught by hand, even those that are coaxed to come close enough to catch by just offering a bit of food as bait.
Still would help to have a knife, club or sharp rock handy to put them out of there misery, or for gutting and skinning of them.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It just seems highly implausible that an animal could ever be snuck up on.

You never, ever try to sneak up on a wild animal. Hand to hand combat with any wild animal will get your ass tore up. A deer will kill you with a single kick. Do a youtube search for that guy beat the hell up by one. It looks funny but he was lucky. I have seen a dog tore up from a groundhog.

Oh, one other thing, if you catch a cute bunny rabbit. If not butchering right away, twist their head off to allow the blood to drain. Bloodshot rabbit meat tastes awful. Blood of any animal will breakdown the meat and make it the consistency of snot.

I figured I would give you some graphic descritions. I grew up on a dairy farm and we pretty much butchered are own meat.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sure you can, Good knife and a Mulie Deer and its no problem, Mulies are not the brightest. I've walked within 3 feet of several, When i got my buck 2 years ago, there were 5 other smaller bucks with him, that just stood there, they probably didnt go more than 10 feet.
Now white tail, very doubtful, unless you are just sneaky.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I used to catch trout by hand as a kid.

It is very simple you just trawl your hand up and down the river bank edge.

Trout hide in hole's once you find a hole the trout will not be able to get past your hand.

I was totally a fluke that i found this way of catching them and it is a lot easier than standing in the water trying to tickle them.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Ugh, you reminded me of an awful story. Once in elementary school I was the first on a playground. I ran to the swingset to find it all twisted with a deerleg wrapped in it. Poor thing must of gotten entangled in the swing and lost its leg. I remember the janitor coming out and getting it.

I like the responses, thank you. I would think that the neanderthals are more likely to trap or chase an animal off a cliff then sneaking up on it.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I should of specified that the neanderthals had spears. They didn't kill by hand. But I still find it not very feasible that 3 neanderthals can sneak up on a huge deer and kill it with a spear.

I have plenty of deer im area. They are even half tame. Used to humans, only once (behind a fence and felt safe) was I ever able to walk up to a deer.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
first you have to catch it
then you have to kill it
and then gut it

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
You reminded me of a very funny story...

I had this friend who used to drink get high and come up with the craziest ideas... this one involved a deer feeder... he figured he could move that feeder under this tree they had in the yard where he would wait up in the branches with his knife... his plan was to drop down on one cut its throat and have himself a deer BBQ....

Three busted ribs and a snapped wrist, no deer... he finally gave up on his plan... finding it much safer to pounce on helpless 12 packs of Budweiser...

Just so you know those deer never came close... he got hurt from falling out of the tree, twice...

[edit on 20-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
HERE IT IS DEER KICKING A HUNTERS ASS

And he had weapons.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Tickle them? I have never tried to tickle a trout.

I know that in a survival situation, and I needed food, I will take this advice to heart and sent you many thanks.

but I can't stand the thought of ever reaching into a bank and moving my hand around.

I just have a fear of doing that. I am worried about things other then trout. LIke snapping turtles that can take a finger.

I could never do noodling, unless desperate.

I also have a fear of fish spines.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I had a whitetail with a fawn come within about 10 yards of me while walking on top of a dike.

From what I've read, stand still, don't smile, dont look it in the eyes, and keep everything in the vertical, including your weapon. And keep downwind.

It worked. It acted as if I wasn't even there, and it looked right at me.

Could I have killed it? Not using bare hands. But it is possible to get close to them, close enough to not miss. I could have shot from the hip and hit it.

I've also flushed deer that were with a few yards, but I move more slowly and more quietly than most hunters do.

[edit on 20/10/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I would find it rather easy to kill an animal by hand. But first I would snare said animal. Then you would be free to take your time and await for the animal to wear itself out. But that time it'd be easy pickins.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A guy that used to work for my family sneaked up on a deer, and grabbed it back leg. It kicked his hand, broke 3 of his fingers, and it also kicked him in the face.

I know another guy that killed a decent sized elk with a spear that he made with a traditional flint spearhead on it. He climbed a tree that was right over an elk trail. He waited until there was one right below him, and he jumped down, stabbing it through the back. He was pretty hardcore.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
yes, you can....small animals only please.
Chickens or any other small animal you should try to break it's neck.
larger animals, it would be suggested to climb a tree with a spear or a knife
and drop out onto the animal and try to slit it's throat. A deer or any other large animal
can seriously hurt you!!
I suggest learning about plant foods that you can eat. Also learn about preparing and smoking your meats to last longer.
go to your lockal used book store and pick up some books on survival.
A recommendation is Bernard Shanks Wilderness Survival.
other suggestions include:
the Foxfire Books (these are great, they interviewed a bunch of old people in Appalachia in the 70's , and there is everything in there from smoking a wild hog to moonshining to plant foods to making a banjo or a log cabin)
and the Complete Outdoor Encyclopedia by Vin Sparano...this book covers Hunting, Fishing, Camping,

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join