It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How trusting are you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Suspicious by nature, yet still trusting...that about sums me up.
Got the scars of burns to prove it inside and out.
I find it difficult to fully trust anyone, no matter how long I've known them.
Being a conspiracy theorist only reinforces that, as my life experiences have also.
I'm a recluse to boot, and don't fit into any social circles I've encountered thus far.To fit in an equal exchange of personal info must occur, thus establishing a basis of trust over a period of time.
I see around me, more and more identity theft...and with that comes increased security.
But the increased security brings with it more invasion into your personal information.
How much info are you comfortable telling your family, friends, co-workers..or those who serve you day to day in various aspects of your life, bank tellers, customer service,waiters?
How well do you protect yourself?
ie:
While filling out documents for a loan you are asked for references that are non family members.Who do you ask? Ever fear that someone close to you will use your information against you, or for their own purposes?
Do you think identity theft only happens to those whose wallet or mail gets stolen?
Do you tell friends how much is in your bank account?Ever lend your credit card to family? How much personal info do you give out about yourself, financial or otherwise to people you work with?
Would you be shocked to find out that your info is being spread around with the daily tabloid celebrity gossip?
Food for thought:

It’s a fun and easy way to upload pictures for your friends and followers to see, or send a quick update on what you’re doing right at this moment. It all seems harmless until you realize that almost 10 million Americans were victims of identity fraud in 2008, which is over a 20 percent increase since 2007. With over 250 million personal data records breached since 2005, millions of people have been exposed to the ill effects that being a victim of identity theft can quickly have - all because personal information got into the wrong hands.

www.buzzle.com...

A driver's license number, credit card number, or Social Security number truly are our "identity" — numbers that define us and are they keys to various doors in the world. A credit card account reveals all of our charges and, more importantly, the types and frequencies of our purchases. A driver's license, once intended as nothing other than a permit to get behind the wheel of a car, has become, Margaret Mannix points out, "the nation's de facto ID card." A Social Security number can be an ID number in a medical file, a financial account or a student ID. Swipe this number and a few other key pieces of information, and a thief can set up a whole new life (and credit history).

social.jrank.org...

It’s a burgeoning problem in a tight economy. The Federal Trade Commission estimates that 9% of all identity theft has a family member as the culprit. That’s about 900,000 incidents annually, the FTC says

www.mainstreet.com...

It's time to be more cautious, even though this reeks of an Orwellian scenario where you can't trust your nearest and dearest..it's fact.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I hate to say I trust no human living soul.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I hate to say I trust no human living soul.

Same here after 17 years of mind control, and people trying to always destroy anything in my life, only my close family are anyone i trust.

People have done so many dodgy things to me, just for not fancying the female gender, after awhile you just get numb to people altogether.

You will not know how many homophobic females are in society until you live a life like mine.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Trust is earned. There is no other way.

Sheesh, I have a hard enough time trusting myself. And I work very hard to earn it. I'm a tough customer for sure. Once I get to the point of trusting myself, doubt creeps in despite my valiant efforts to deflect it. Insidious little bugger...(doubt that is.)

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I lost all trust after My ex Penny screwed me while I was in the navy, and then repeated prayers to God for something approaching a normal life netted me nothing but being screwed more.

I TRUST NO ONE. Not God, not, women, not Christians, NO ONE.

I can say this, because no one really knows who I am, and none of ya never WILL. Only the aforementioned *says a nasty 4 letter word about her* knows who I am, but she's so stupid, she couldn't tell her ass from a tree on a sunny day.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

What ever happened to you, is nothing to what the female gender did to my life. The government used this cow against me, and we had nothing to do with each other.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Oh.. I can believe it. Women (says a bunch of stuff that would get me burned at the stake on a good day)- and that's their good points. The govt- you cant trust the govt for ANYTHING. I've seen my share of just plain crap that didn't make sense out of the govt.

I'm a husk of what I could have been, and it hasn't been from not trying my darndest to get myself somewhere.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
trust the light and genuine spirit within a human soul.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by thaknobodi]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Very interesting topic. S&F. Trust, a very powerful enigma. To trust in someone means you have to have somewhat of a belief in someone to some extent. I think that almost anyone you ask will have some negative insight to shed on the subject, but some will also have positive insight. Every time you shop to buy food you trust that it is not poisoned. After all how many times is it handled before it gets to you. Some people do not even trust in themselves.

The dictionary defines trust as:

trust
  /trʌst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [truhst] Show IPA ,
Use trust in a Sentence
See web results for trust
See images of trust
–noun
1. reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.
2. confident expectation of something; hope.
3. confidence in the certainty of future payment for property or goods received; credit: to sell merchandise on trust.
4. a person on whom or thing on which one relies: God is my trust.
5. the condition of one to whom something has been entrusted.
6. the obligation or responsibility imposed on a person in whom confidence or authority is placed: a position of trust.
7. charge, custody, or care: to leave valuables in someone's trust.
8. something committed or entrusted to one's care for use or safekeeping, as an office, duty, or the like; responsibility; charge.
9. Law.
a. a fiduciary relationship in which one person (the trustee) holds the title to property (the trust estate or trust property) for the benefit of another (the beneficiary).
b. the property or funds so held.
10. Commerce.
a. an illegal combination of industrial or commercial companies in which the stock of the constituent companies is controlled by a central board of trustees, thus making it possible to manage the companies so as to minimize production costs, control prices, eliminate competition, etc.
b. any large industrial or commercial corporation or combination having a monopolistic or semimonopolistic control over the production of some commodity or service.
11. Archaic. reliability.
–adjective
12. Law. of or pertaining to trusts or a trust.
–verb (used without object)
13. to rely upon or place confidence in someone or something (usually fol. by in or to): to trust in another's honesty; trusting to luck.
14. to have confidence; hope: Things work out if one only trusts.
15. to sell merchandise on credit.
–verb (used with object)
16. to have trust or confidence in; rely or depend on.
17. to believe.
18. to expect confidently; hope (usually fol. by a clause or infinitive as object): trusting the job would soon be finished; trusting to find oil on the land.
19. to commit or consign with trust or confidence.
20. to permit to remain or go somewhere or to do something without fear of consequences: He does not trust his children out of his sight.
21. to invest with a trust; entrust with something.
22. to give credit to (a person) for goods, services, etc., supplied: Will you trust us till payday?
—Verb phrase
23. trust to, to rely on; trust: Never trust to luck!
—Idiom
24. in trust, in the position of being left in the care or guardianship of another: She left money to her uncle to keep in trust for her children.
Origin:
1175–1225; (n.) ME < ON traust trust (c. G Trost comfort); (v.) ME trusten < ON treysta, deriv. of traust

Related forms:
trust⋅a⋅ble, adjective
trust⋅a⋅bil⋅i⋅ty, noun
truster, noun

Synonyms:
1. certainty, belief, faith. Trust, assurance, confidence imply a feeling of security. Trust implies instinctive unquestioning belief in and reliance upon something: to have trust in one's parents. Confidence implies conscious trust because of good reasons, definite evidence, or past experience: to have confidence in the outcome of events. Assurance implies absolute confidence and certainty: to feel an assurance of victory. 8. commitment, commission. 17. credit. 19. entrust.

Maybe its the lack of trust in mankind that will be its inevitable downfall. Once again great thread.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It takes a while for me to gain the trust of people.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
To not trust anyone is to be paranoid. If you can trust no one else, trust yourself.

I trust nobody absolutely including myself. I do trust nature to abide by certain laws of the universe.

In the past, I was naive and gave everyone the benefit of the doubt. If they betrayed me, I would not think anything of it. This is not a wise thing to do. I think balance is needed. Ive heard it before and its true, "People teach you how to treat them". If someone betrays my trust, I will take that into consideration and possibly not speak with them again.

In the last year I've gone from being paranoid (trusting no one) to trusting myself and some close friends and family. This has done much for my well-being.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Yep trusting family can be hard as well as they can be just like others. I will always trust myself, and my family.

But the funny thing about trust outside that is once its gone its gone for good, and that is something that i am glad about in humans.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I have gained back a sense of trust in people who once betrayed me. It takes forgiveness and acceptance of the past on my part. It takes acceptance and a willingness to change on their part. Not an easy thing for either party. At least, it can seem to be very difficult.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

From what people did to me, there is no chance of me forgiving them, its like since school the police and all these scummy people have been trying to frame me and totally wreck my life.

For me all that is beyond forgiveness, society can have all its trash, i will not bother with it.

Even though not trusting a person outside your family is bad and can be lonely and all that, i am glad i saw the extremes of how bad people are, and i have seen whats it like to have the mob against you.

Thankfully having a family and the truth on my side kept me going. The truth has always kept me going in this world.

Everyone that talks about this has there bad experiences, and how bad is there business, but no way on earth would i ever forgive the people for they did to me. Your not talking about a small thing, but people desperately trying to destroy you for 17 and a half years. Thats like over half my life. For me society deserves all the scum it has, and just think society thought these people where great, while they where destroying my life.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I thank all of you for your posts.
However, the direction I was going in was how much do you trust others with your personal information.
It's obvious we have all been jaded by a person or event in our life that makes us wary.
But daily we encounter situations were we must give out some piece of our info like simply swiping an atm card, or trusting a friend to keep a secret about a loan we are trying to get..etc.
Do you tell friends family and co-workers such info?
Would you even trust your spouse, child, sibling with your credit card?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I usually trust what people are saying as the truth. I will give general information about myself and my life, but I don't trust the Internet with personal information. I posted a picture of myself here once, but I RARELY post my image on the Internet.

In real life, I'm pretty trusting and I have been totally screwed for it, too. But that hasn't made me distrust everyone. Each person is different. I usually give people my trust until they prove that they don't deserve it.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I trust openly and with an open heart from the get go.

From there it's up to the other guy.

They frig it up?

They'll never get a second chance.

Ever.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Sorry for getting of topic. My bad! I don't trust the government to know much of anything about me. I left my previous apartment and haven't updated the information with anyone. All mail that is essential is being forwarded from my parents address.

I don't have a credit card, so never exchange that information. I do have a business idea that I'm not sharing with anyone. It's not that I don't trust my friends to not capitalize on the idea, it's that I don't trust them entirely to keep their mouth shut.

I don't trust businesses to know my cell phone number. If someone calls, and I'm not aware of who it is, it can go to voicemail which is a standard message. If it's important, they will leave a message or text me.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Sorry for getting of topic. My bad! I don't trust the government to know much of anything about me. I left my previous apartment and haven't updated the information with anyone. All mail that is essential is being forwarded from my parents address.

I don't have a credit card, so never exchange that information. I do have a business idea that I'm not sharing with anyone. It's not that I don't trust my friends to not capitalize on the idea, it's that I don't trust them entirely to keep their mouth shut.

I don't trust businesses to know my cell phone number. If someone calls, and I'm not aware of who it is, it can go to voicemail which is a standard message. If it's important, they will leave a message or text me.

wow- i'm exactly the same.
just moved, didn't forward my mail to here.
no credit card.
and i never answer my phone unless i know who is calling.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I thank all of you for your posts.
However, the direction I was going in was how much do you trust others with your personal information.
It's obvious we have all been jaded by a person or event in our life that makes us wary.
But daily we encounter situations were we must give out some piece of our info like simply swiping an atm card, or trusting a friend to keep a secret about a loan we are trying to get..etc.
Do you tell friends family and co-workers such info?
Would you even trust your spouse, child, sibling with your credit card?

I don't tell my friends, family, or co-workers anything unless I deem it to be essential to me. My mother I will share some things with, and I once worked with a girl that I did trust with my debit card and pin. I can count the number of people I trust with information on one hand.

They have never let me down. And neither have I, them.

I would trust my spouse implicitly with all of my info no matter what the subject.

Otherwise, what is the point of having a spouse. If you cannot trust your own spouse, something is definetely wrong with your relationship.

That is my own opinion of course..I realize that others would never trust their spouse, and I respect that, just don't agree.

new topics

top topics

join