It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappointed with ATS.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Everyone has prejudices. Even someone who says "I have no prejudices." is a liar, because then they judge those who are prejudice.

I mostly lurk here, even though I am a member. I only comment on posts that I have strong feelings about. This is one of those posts.

The only person any of us can change is ourselves. True inner peace comes when we get to the point where we let others speak their minds and feel neutral about it knowing that their OPINION doesn't affect us.

I can't change the world, but I can change myself. I personally like ATS just the way it is. I learn a lot by hearing how others feel.

We are all works in progress. None of us has the right to judge anyone other then ourselves.

Flowers in a garden are lovely because of their different colors. If all were the same shape and color it would be boring. Diversity is entertaining in a garden and in life.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I appreciate your attempt at putting this out there. It's an important issue for some and makes a difference if you choose to look at race.

From all your reasons, justifications, descriptions of various groups, and this, "Now I'll be the first to say, we're all a lil bit racist" I think you are still a little bit racist yourself.

I'm glad to see you're working on it and have a say though.

Once while on a bus in Baltimore I stood up shortly after someone sat down near me. The guy who sat down was black and when I stood up he yelled, "WHAT!? You Racist %$#&! You too good to sit next to a black man! &%$^ RACIST!"

The entire busload of people stopped and looked at us. [I'm white, and one of maybe 2-3 white people on the full bus.]

I calmly took a breath, looked at him, and said, "My wife's black..."

Some people on the bus just laughed out loud and starting razzing him and making all kinds of mess LOL

my point?

Sometimes we just see the world with our own filters. He ~wanted~ to see me as a racist.

I don't see much racism on ATS - maybe it's just not a part of my life.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Pathos

What a great and honest reply.
The problem is that too many Americans posting here have blind patriotism and see no wrong. Instead they keep bleating on about how wonderful the USA is, from the posts here we can see that all is not rosy.
But hey its all Obamas fault everything was just great before he turned up.

From what I see in my limited viewpoint is that the USA should bring it's troops home and keep out of foreign politics. Evict all the illegals and close the borders. Then perhaps you can start and rebuild your infrastructure and economy.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Whoa... this thread is NOT about:

Originally posted by lightchild bleating on about how wonderful the USA is...
...the USA should bring it's troops home and keep out of foreign politics. Evict all the illegals and close the borders. Then perhaps you can start and rebuild your infrastructure and economy.

This is what is known as "Thread Slide"... See #1 in the COINTELPRO 101 thread I post in my signature.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookHunter

I don't want to go off topic or derail the thread.
But I feel it is related.

Most of the racism and hate seems to come from the growing numbers of USA citizens visiting ATS.
This has only started since the economy has taken a turn for the worst, it's easy to point the finger and blame outsiders when you have problems.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm disappointed with all these "I'm Disappointed With ATS" threads. As someone who reads ATS just for entertainment I feel like it's counter intuitive to rally against the crazy.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

I think ATS should be divided into 2.
Part 1 - USA
Part 2 - Rest of the world

What is stopping you from starting threads? I usually read the non American threads to see what is happening elsewhere and what our friends across the seas think. I usually do not comment because I often do not have enough in-depth knowledge of the subject. But of course that is the reason I am reading the thread in the first place.

So get out there and start so threads so you can further my education

On the racism. The only reason I can see for it to be discussed at ATS is because the Mass Media is making a big deal of it. I live in the south and brought the subject up to a bunch of old "rednecks" I was chatting with. They laughed and said they saw a lot worse "racism" up north. We then want back to discussing raising sheep, goats and training sheep dogs. ( They really admire the dog training shepherds in Scotland bye the bye) Oh yeah this group of "rednecks" was composed of latinos, whites and blacks. Sometimes we have some Asians join us too.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I don't like the fact that you say we are all a little bit racist. i am not. i dont value anything physical, why would i value color or origin? people that are racist look at the small picture, people that aren't look at the big picture.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
i really hope i dont get this post removed and penalized but i thought this was kind of funny and wanted to share it on this topic.

Well they say Racism is ignorance, but they also say ignorance is bliss, so when you're feeling down, draw a nice warm bath and light a cross. lmao

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
I think ATS should be divided into 2.

Part 1 - USA
Part 2 - Rest of the world

Naa, should be:
Part 1 - The southeast USA
Part 2 - The real world

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy

Well they say Racism is ignorance, but they also say ignorance is bliss, so when you're feeling down, draw a nice warm bath and light a cross. lmao

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful"

Lol, recognize that?

Back on topic - I think that there is a whole group of public figures that rely on racism to keep being relevant in our society. Al Sharpton is one of them, you all know the rest. I believe that they believe it is in their own best interest to keep stirring it up and that is the reason why racism will never be a non-issue. Those invested in fighting racism are sometimes the ones that perpetrate it.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I remember when I was growing up, they kept stressing the point to all of us kids that we are all equal.
We'd all look at each other with confused looks on our faces, scratch our heads and say, "OK".

Now, as working adults, we are required to attend Diversity compliance courses every freaking year, only now they tell us we need to recognize each others differences and cultures.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
and for the real post of my ever so demanded opinion...

I think that a discussion about *real* scientific evidence peer reviewed about aspects of different race to be fair game and even potentially encouraged so long as respect is kept.

A good example was a thread talking about how some evidence suggests africans are mentally inferior to caucasians, and caucasians are inferior to asians.
To me, this is a valid discussion to talk about the science involved, potential factors if indeed true (which could be a number of meaty conspiracys), etc.

Now, if its a senario of some quack simply saying it because he had a bad experience driving through the ghetto, then sure..its racism and anyone promoting it as a truth is also potentially a idiot racist.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

You're white?

ew.

Listen, the buzz phrase is deny ignorance here. You know that.

How do we do it? By learning.

Some peoples' learning curve is harsher than others. Be patient. Give it a couple of hundred years (if we live thru 2012) then see how we're doing.

edit to add; nice thread my friend. S&F

[edit on 17-10-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

A good example was a thread talking about how some evidence suggests africans are mentally inferior to caucasians, and caucasians are inferior to asians.

I can certainly see different races having different strengths and weaknesses that only makes sense. However I understood there was greater differences between different groups of Africans than there was between whites and Africans.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
To the OP, thank god I'm not like you, or your messed up white friend. I for one am proud of who I am, and being white. I'm the rare exception that doesn't feel it needs to "change colors like in Halo"

In fact, I always despised people like that in high school, because they were always pretending to be something they weren't all for the sake of "keeping up an image" Me? I was raised old school, and I mean real old school. My parents values came from my grandparents from the 1920's and thank god they survived and made it to me before I ended up being another troubled "teen"

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

reply to post by Pathos

From what I see in my limited viewpoint is that the USA should bring it's troops home and keep out of foreign politics. Evict all the illegals and close the borders. Then perhaps you can start and rebuild your infrastructure and economy.

I think we have to take care of our domestic issues before we do anything else. I agree.

I also agree that before Obama was on stage, we were heading into this direction anyway. Regardless about who became president this last time around, I think the bubble was going to burst. It was only a matter of time.

People voted for Obama because they saw corruption; thus, McCain's election loss on the Republican ticket. When he started putting policy into place, people realized there was no way to vote corruption out of office.

We need the help from Europe to solve this issue. Since we cannot take care of it through elections, we may not have any other choices on the table.

reply to post by Pathos

What a great and honest reply.
The problem is that too many Americans posting here have blind patriotism and see no wrong. Instead they keep bleating on about how wonderful the USA is, from the posts here we can see that all is not rosy.

I will be one to admit that sometimes I can be guilty (of blind patriotism); however, I also know that humility must override the dangers of pride. Knowing and admitting there are issues within our country hurts, but it is the right thing to do when so much more is at stake.

Our divisive issues are of government, corporation, and media origin. Once we deal with these three elements, we will be back on the right track.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I remember when I was growing up, they kept stressing the point to all of us kids that we are all equal.
We'd all look at each other with confused looks on our faces, scratch our heads and say, "OK".

Now, as working adults, we are required to attend Diversity compliance courses every freaking year, only now they tell us we need to recognize each others differences and cultures.

spot on!

star

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
"Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes, there'll be always war."

Bob Marley

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Majority of our race issues were dealt with long ago. Its a matter of standing together when our government wants us divided.

We are fighting a new war my friend. Its called government-corporate-media corruption, and everyone in those three arenas are contributing to it. Everyone.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by Pathos]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join