It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rolling News threads - Outcome?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Having just followed 13 pages of rolling news coverage in the Boy in a Helium Balloon thread, I'm left wondering if there's a way the mods could post the outcome, say at the end of the OP, in this, and other such threads? If you take a break of several hours it will likely be difficult to find the relevant portion of the thread.

What do folks think - is there any mileage in this?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Good idea!! I join you in this request!

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Many thanks to the site admin for adding a note to the title in this case!

(And thanks for your support, Dr D.
)

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
And what did your last slave die of?

I think it's an excellent idea - because in many such threads - not just news threads but long threads in general - we see people repeat information and/or arguments that have been posted earlier in the thread - simply because they are too lazy to read.

However, I know all staffers are over-worked and underpaid (and I say this as tongue in the cheek, because moderators are volunteers, i.e. they don't get paid to moderate). Adding another task to the list - and let's face it summarizing a long thread won't be a 5 minute task - may just break the camel's back. In short - moderators simply won't have the time to do this.

BUT I see no reason why any member that has been following the thread can't do it. They can make notes as the thread progress, and when it becomes clear that posters aren't reading the entire thread, they can post a summary? A member that takes the initiative to sum up a long thread will be doing everyone a favour.

That said - people that are too lazy to read the entire thread, may be too lazy to read the summary...

But that’s just my opinion.

Edit: Sp.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I hear you about the workload of moderators, but I don't think that laziness is the issue with very long threads. The fact is, few people have the luxury of spending hours reading through such threads.

It gets really frustrating when the topic is hot, because often new posts are entered faster than you can read (well me anyway). When that happens all you get to do is read; not participate.

The summary is a good idea. There might need to be a note at the beginning of long threads as to where to find the latest summary (eg. what page).

top topics

join