It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graham (R-SC) "GOP will not be the Ron Paul party"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I thought seeing as there is a fair number of Paulers here they might have an opinion of Graham's comments:

It was good as with all politicians that Graham held a personal meeting with his voting district and with the GOP at a loss these days as a party... these needs to be some reconnecting. The audience largely agreed with Graham, disagreement with dems, liberals public option etc. So while there was a consensus there, and some criticism regarding Graham conservativitism Graham had a chance to patch things up and explain his and the GOP's stance. Instead, he outlined his vision for the GOP that didnt include the consensus of Ron Paul supporters... which I think was rather careless... given some of his voting district resident were rather in support of the new GOP to the more libertarian side of things.

I think its a very bad idea for Graham to isolate this segment. I recall that last time Paulers raised quiet a pritty penny in a short period of time, not to mention the millions of voters who went out for Ron Paul. I dont agree with Paul ideologically but if I was a marketing executive for the GOP I would be slapping my face... I dont know how the GOP can expect to have vision when continuing the type of conservatism for the last 8years? I'd be curious to see what other ATSers have to say about this.

Maybe Graham made a mistake, maybe his consensus is his, but nevertheless he is one of the larger figures in the GOP, and Im pritty sure he knew what he was basically saying to this segment.... why would the GOP isolate a segment that virtually agrees with everything they do apart from foreign policy?

[edit on 13-10-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The GOP will never be the Ron Paul party....

unless it's the only way to get elected. I like Ron Paul as much as I can like any politician (I would shake his hand but never go to dinner with him), but I see his efforts as a failure. He will never make an actual difference. They simply won't let him.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Well I think the question here is.... who are the voters who continue to support the Bush-conservative policies in the GOP.... I mean thats the strange thing here.... we see the GOPers cut out a growing young segment of their party.... and surely they do so knowing they have sufficient support else where..... who are these supports who are opposed to the ideals of Ron Paul supporters because I have not really seen much disagreement between original GOPers and Paulers... but yes I think its a bad idea to cut out this segment.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think it is fortunate for Ron Paul to be ostracized by the main stream GOP. If they ever embraced him, I fear Ron Paul and libertarians of all varieties would be deceived.

Ron Paul supports removing the power of the centralized government, and the centralized government is trying all it can to make sure this never happens.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Graham and the GOP have been sold on the Neo-Con agenda and they can't imagine that they are wrong.I gotta give Cheney and his little cabal credit they have the GOP rank and file so afraid of reprisals that they will stick with this agenda until the end.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DINSTAAR
The GOP will never be the Ron Paul party....

unless it's the only way to get elected. I like Ron Paul as much as I can like any politician (I would shake his hand but never go to dinner with him), but I see his efforts as a failure. He will never make an actual difference. They simply won't let him.

Ahh, so sell yourself to a Party to get elected...

Yeah, that really worked in 2008, when he went as a Republican candidate.

Graham's an idiot, none the less. The GOP is so screwed over, and no matter how much Fox News tries to play off that the entire country is mad and wants Obama gone, it's not true.

Republicans need to change their views, or guess what, they'll fail again.

Really, who do all of you on here see running for President?

Sarah Palin? Bobby Jindal? Tim Pawlenty?

Actually, Pawlenty has the best chance for the GOP candidacy, seeing he's not seeking a reelection in 2010 as governor.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

That's because Ron Paul is an actual conservative.

These GOP leaders can continue to play fight with the other side but everyone is starting to realize it's politics as usual and they are all in bed together having a massive orgy.

Screw the GOP, it saddens me that Ron Paul is still a member of this party, the whole party has lost its way.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ron Paul is who woke me up from the apathy many are still firmly holding onto. The GOP made a big mistake by ridiculing and belittling him IMO.

I was very involved in his campaign. I wish he would have been a bit more forceful. I don’t agree with Alan Grayson on much (other then auditing the FED) but I do like his spunk.

Perhaps that could have been the worst thing for Dr. Paul to do.

I could care less which party he was under I could not vote for anyone else. Wasted vote? Perhaps. But I can sleep knowing I held to my principals regardless.

The GOP, like the Democrats has the same agenda. That agenda is not anything Ron Paul is going to be ok with.

The Ron Paul supporters are a threat to the GOP. They generally are EX-GOP supporters that woke up.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Says the problem to the solution.

Let's not forget Graham voted for the bailouts. That's where he's coming from. No wonder he slams Paul. What's he gonna do, say he's wrong.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

Shhh!Daibolus! the GOP rank and file don't know about that!
in fact I think supporters of both parties are not even supposed remember those bailouts.

new topics

top topics

join