It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Chaos reigns at Detroit aid event

www.freep.com

Thousands stand in line for help paying bills

Thousands of people swarmed Cobo Hall in chaos this morning trying to get applications for housing and utility payment assistance from the city of Detroit.

People fainted, others fought as the Detroit Police Gang Unit tried to keep people in line --- some since last night --- and in check.

“It’s a disaster here,” former assistant Detroit Police chief and city council candidate Gary Brown said, handing out water. “This is dangerous. Very unorganized, very dangerous.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This story looks very grim.
When i was looking at the pictures it made me think of some third world country or russia 20 years ago.

The economic near future of the US does not look good so i do not think this is going to be a one time event.

Very sad i have to say.

Have a look at the pictures from this source and see what i mean.

www.freep.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
How is Detroit even going to pay for that?

The city has shut down schools, laid off police and firefighters, and reduced the number of paramedics and ambulances on duty at any one time.

The buildings downtown are crumbling and abandoned, the houses are rotting and abandoned, and the streets have craters in them.

The city government is corrupt and cannot even function on it's own. Basic social services have been shut down and even scrapped.

Detroit cannot do anything right. The people of Detroit - in their typical ignorant fashion - voted 35 years ago for a mayor in favor of his race rather than in favor of who was most suited for the job and who would do the best for Detroit. That tradition has continued ever since, and so has Detroit's decline.

The people of that dump deserve every bit of what has happened to them. They had the power to change this and didn't.

As a famous quote once said, "people get the government they deserve." This cannot be any more true than in the case of Detroit.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It is going to get ugly.

I hope everyone is prepared

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well the desperation of the real American decline is showing its ugly heat, the ones that the government cheerleaders of "America recovery" rhetoric is trying very hard to hide.

Yes, as usual rather than protesting and complaining in Washington pristine mall the people rather die waiting in line for government hand outs.

People needs to understand that the only way this nation is going to change is with the people show of unity no in hand out lines but marching in Washington where our elite government lives in splendor.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't mean to rain on your thread but this is already being discussed in another thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this, my friend. I thought I would save a click for a couple folks that were too lazy.....but,

You guys should read the article. Sounds like dangerously poor planning on the part of the leaders of Detroit and it sounds like a lot of desperate people...They were providing 5000 APPLICATIONS for assistance....and ran out...

Not good.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b24bcb91d9d6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cddcde370ba.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5cd99ed8b305.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8852c5788a36.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1592f849b5e0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8082e156c42a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c1ddc958ee6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3c497f2b7dd.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e14d7ea2abe1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/737035469329.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Try handing out free cash in any major city during the current economic downturn and see how long the lines are.

Detroit really is hell on earth though.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just wait until they realize that the economy is not going to recover. They will start pouring into other cities. But honestly, I tihink we need something like the LA riots again. Just to get the power back where it belongs. This all seems like Katrina all over again. Only this time there wasn't even a disaster. Just globalists who outsourced their jobs to other countries. Hopefully this time though, people won't be as focused on racial issues. But who am I kidding?

I really hope these people are informed about what is really going on. The american public has been looted by the globablists. Sharing the wealth.

Very sad.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
So many people on here acting like this is the end.

Recovery is waiting in the wings...

Cities inhale and exhale over centuries sometimes... and Detroit is no different.

That's like telling someone who caught a cold they are going to die...

Please...

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
How is Detroit even going to pay for that?
The city has shut down schools, laid off police and firefighters, and reduced the number of paramedics and ambulances on duty at any one time.
The buildings downtown are crumbling and abandoned, the houses are rotting and abandoned, and the streets have craters in them.

Detroit is a perfect example of rust-belt decay...much of it brought on by the global economy's hijacking of American industry to feed Wall Street.

But it is dealing with its circumstances in a radical way...by shrinking! The city is taking neighbourhoods where 4 out of 5 houses are empty, and offering to move the last of the folks to new communities. Thereby enabling them to cut services to the abandoned ones. While this sounds like social engineering of the highest order, it is a progressive response to dying sprawl and a crumbling tax base.

The lands themselves are being given over to urban farms to provide food to the locals. www.modeldmedia.com...

We ought to be watching this play out...as this may be the future of cities for some time.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
I really hope these people are informed about what is really going on.

The citizens of Detroit? HA! I lived up there for 12 years and only recently moved here to Houston, and I can say with absolute certainty that they have no clue about what is really going on. These people are very naive and very gullible.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

These people are very naive and very gullible.

Surely you are speaking about ALL people...

including yourself.

[edit on 8-10-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I was speaking of the people of Detroit.

Did you quote that just so you could get a jab in at me? Next time make it a little less obvious.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Well anybody with any common sense should know that Texas is our only hope at fight this monster.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

These people are very naive and very gullible.

Surely you are speaking about ALL people...

including yourself.

Surely you are including yourself Hunka with this obvious insult which has nothing to do with the subject of the thread but instead is a childish, unproductive, spoiled-brat type of response to the sad and heart-wrenching affair in Detroit where masses of humans are suffering from the results of selfish, manipulative people like you present yourself to be in most of your threads, replies, posts and comments. Bring something useful or at least try not to be so rude. Have a heart. Buy one if necessary.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I was speaking of the people of Detroit.

Did you quote that just so you could get a jab in at me? Next time make it a little less obvious.

Not at all.. but you say the people of detroit are gullible as if it isn't true for all humanity.

ALL HUMANS ARE GULLIBLE.

That goes for you and me, the people in detroit, the folks in Houston, Atlanta, Beijing, Moscow, Paris etc...

So to malign the people of detroit for something we all are guilty of is not only off topic but it's ignorance.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Calling the people of Detroit naive and gullible is off-topic? This topic is ABOUT Detroit and the condition of Detroit. The condition of Detroit is directly attributed to the people of Detroit's gullibility and their apathetic approach to holding their elected officials accountable.

You using what I said to try and insult me just because you don't agree with me on many subjects is the only thing off-topic here.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think what he was trying to say that the City of Detroit for a long time has been that way. Even before shutting down. People there can barely survive as it is. Now they have no economical power at all.

People in Detroit work for little wages and are taxed to death and now they have nothing to show for it, because the Federal Government sold them out.

But most of us saw it coming a very long time ago.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
sigh.

Yeah Detroit looks like it's in some trouble. I was thinking when I looked at those pictures that it looks awfully close to a riot...

I think it's safe to say that the leaders severely underestimated the response.

The sad part for me is that this was just to get applications...I didn't see any mention about how much actual HELP is going to be handed out...

(stop fighting guys)

[edit on 8-10-2009 by KSPigpen]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join