It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanking may lower kids' IQs

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

This is soo true.

Even I swatted my son on the butt once or twice...

But never had to after about age 2 as you mentioned...

That seemed to be about the age that you could reason with him. I think that most parents who do spank their children past this age, aren't even trying to uphold reason as the highest virtue, but authority instead.

And all this study shows really is that those children who are raised with reason as the highest virtue will grow up to be highly reasonable people.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm willing to sacrifice 5 or so of my kids' IQ points if it means they won't be one of those snot-nosed undiciplined little bastards that I see running around everywhere.

I think learning how to act like a decent human being would suit them better in life than those 5 IQ points.

Worked out pretty well for me.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Funny, because I conducted a study recently and found the opposite.

My conclusion was that spanking may raise a child's IQ.

(The above was sarcasm)

On a serious note:

This study is both useless and insulting to my intelligence.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I agree with your distinction for the most part but I'd like to add that disciplinary spankings, given over-zealously can cross the line. This most often occurs when an implement such as a belt, paddle or switch of some sort is used and the administrator can't feel his or her own strength.

I don't believe it is acceptable to leave deep contusions, welts or abrasions on a child to where the child is in significant distress or agony for a needlessly extended period of time. Beating the buttocks too hard and vigorously can actually break pockets of fatty tissue away from the muscle and cause dangerous blood clots, not to mention breaks in the tailbone, damage to the nervous system and in girls, the risk of displacing her uterus and causing uterine hemorrhage.

Not striking the face is common sense to me, because for one it is condescending and demeaning, and secondly there's a risk of dislodging the jaw. I've had the misfortune to witness it myself.

As a Licensed Bodywork Therapist, I can attest that a safely administered disciplinary spanking may cause a significant stinging sensation but should only leave temporary redness that fades within a couple hours. Anything more severe is crossing into the danger zone.

I know that in many instances of abuse, parents have sworn up and down that their intentions were to discipline but they seemingly forgot that the human body doesn't take battery very lightly. In any instance, disciplinary spanking should be a last resort and should be reserved for those who can accurately gauge what force a child can safely take.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by fancymonger]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Thats a bunch of BS. Parents need to spank there kids more. If parent did there jobs correctly and were firm in there upbringings then you wouldn't have all these 5 year old toting handguns and shooting other kids. I'm a firm believer in the old addage. "Spare the rod spoil the child". When the gov't made it so that it was ilegal to spank your own kid, they created a whole new generation of child killers. So don't give me anything about spanked kids have lower IQ's thats BS. I got spanked alot growing up and I'm listed at 163...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I got spanked as a kid. My IQ is 138, so it isn't so...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
My contribution to this thread is:

Asia has some of the brightest and hardest working people on the planet
And 95% of kids there get spanked or worse.

thx

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I found this story and wanted to post it here on ATS. There are so many threads on spanking but this one jumped out for a couple of reasons. One because I think there will be many who disagree with this thread title and wish to denounce it out of ignorance. And yet, it is very likely true. There are many negative discoveries that accompany spanking, humiliation and brutality toward children...yes, even your own.

You can spank once a year or so if your children need it. I have heard people say that as if it does no harm at all. Ask your child...do you remember when I spanked you? Ask them what thoughts and feelings were going through their head at the time and now as they remember. I think the answers will surprise you.

Spanking and Genetics May Increase Childhood Aggression

A study co-authored by UT Dallas criminologist Dr. J.C. Barnes shows that the risk of problem behavior during childhood -- particularly for boys -- is greatly increased if children have genetic predispositions for these behaviors and if they are spanked by their parents.

"We found that genetic factors affect which children display aggressive behavior, but we also found that genetic factors matter more when children were exposed to spanking as a disciplinary tactic," said Barnes, an assistant professor of criminology in the School of Economic, Political and Policy Sciences.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Funny how the things that matter the most - are paid the least bit of attention. S&F.
edit on 6-3-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Yeah... Spanking is no big deal.
Kids need to get hurt. It's how they learn what to do and what not to do.

If you get spanked on the butt every time you act like a dick to your elders, you're going to eventually notice the connection.

If you like to sled down your stairs on piece of cardboard, and seem to end up with skinned knees and elbows, and bruises after you do it, you're going to eventually, if not immediately, notice the connection.

I say, let them kids jump on the bed. They'll fall off and get hurt and realize they probably shouldn't do it anymore.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wecomeinpeace

IQ tests aren't that reliable, are they?

I was spanked as a kid and I turned out very well.

Though I've noticed that it is more difficult to control kids when they're getting to be smarter than their parents.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

At first, pure fear but I learned how to avoid spankings over time.

One parent was verbally abusive for years because they didn't know how to deal with my disability.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

Yet you can't tell the difference between there and their.

I'm not sure I buy that 163 score of yours.

You'll have to forgive me. It's the grammar nazi in me.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I could see how spanking your kid A LOT could affect their intelligence. They might assume a less philosophical approach to the world and more of a conquerors mindset. Empathy, in my opinion, is the number one way to measure someones intelligence.

Kids that are hit all the time for doing petty little usually turn out horrible with anger issues. I have no problem if you spank your kid for doing something SERIOUSLY wrong and not everyday.

edit on 6-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst
Yeah... Spanking is no big deal.
Kids need to get hurt. It's how they learn what to do and what not to do.

If you get spanked on the butt every time you act like a dick to your elders, you're going to eventually notice the connection.

If you like to sled down your stairs on piece of cardboard, and seem to end up with skinned knees and elbows, and bruises after you do it, you're going to eventually, if not immediately, notice the connection.

I say, let them kids jump on the bed. They'll fall off and get hurt and realize they probably shouldn't do it anymore.

That was the old mentality.

But that was when the world (and our heads) were flat.

We all know better know.
And...

When I knew better - I did better.
(and if you didn't, you don't)

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join