It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Legal just encouraged me to undergo End of Life Counseling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
DISCLAIMER: I am not disparaging the advice in the following ad

I just got this in the email today... This reeks of End of Life Counseling...

They are advising me what to do as it pertains to my life ending.

Where is the uproar over this End of Life counseling coming from Big Legal?

Everyone was in a tizzy about the same thing being part of the "Public option"...

Some folks just aren't being intellectually honest.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/2ffe228ed401b7e9.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/7327404a4852a9a7.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 24-9-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
If you want to be on life support or force your family to be the ones who make the decision if they are legally allowed to then don't get a living will.

Legal Zoom saved me some big bucks with deed changes.

I didn't see any mention of counseling.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Living Wills are not end of life counseling, I have maintained one since I was 19 years old when my oldest child was born, its pretty much common sense and responsible if you care about what you leave your loved ones.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I didn't say it was a bad idea...

I just said it was End of Life Counseling...

What's wrong with this type of advice being delivered by the gov as part of a health reform bill?

Does Legal Zoom do it better?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Where did it mention counseling??????

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

What's wrong with this type of advice being delivered by the gov as part of a health reform bill?

Does Legal Zoom do it better?

I can guarantee they could do it cheaper. If they were doing so, but they are not.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

It didn't... but advising people to get a will IS End of Life Counseling. Then the questions it will ask in the next few steps are also end of Life Counseling.

I'm being advised to think about specific things as it relates to the end of my life.

My question is, why would it be wrong for the gov to do this for free? If LegalZoom can do it for $39 via the web, why couldn't we have a program where our government recommends services like this. Perhaps even provides services like this.

I mean heck... you could even remove a LOT of lawyers this way.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
Living Wills are not end of life counseling, I have maintained one since I was 19 years old when my oldest child was born, its pretty much common sense and responsible if you care about what you leave your loved ones.

How is it NOT end of life counseling?

It only matters if your life ends!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
End of life counseling is for folks who have a terminal illness or condition, A living will can be used by anyone.

Heck you could get hit by a bus tommorrow is it not wise to have your affairs in order at all times?

Making a living will is not in anticipation of a terminal illness and its not the governments place to be involved in such family affairs anyway.

If you have a spouse and children and dont have a will or living will you are fairly irresponsible anyway, but it is to be expected in this day and age.

Pretty sorry state of affairs that the FEDGOV is expected to take care of such things that are pretty much common sense.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I don't see how having or suggesting a Living Will is end of life counseling, really.
I think its called "planning".

Honestly. I was considering one myself. I don't want to be a burden on my family if I'm somehow catatonic/vegetative.

But, whatever floats your boat.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If you got hit by a bus tomorrow (God forbid!) and your family was being swarmed by medical jargon along with their grief, would you want to be kept on life support?

If you wake up paralyzed from the neck down and require 24/7 care, tube feedings, ventilator, the works, do you want to have some say in how your life continues or ends?

That's what living wills are for. The medical community knows that family dynamics are sometimes counterproductive to the hospital experience. Being unable to state YOUR wishes leaves the family in the awkward and painful position of having to do it.

I've seen families get into fisticuffs in the ICU over having to decide what to do with dad. It's not pretty and although dad can't respond, there's a good chance he can hear everything going on and the suffering his family is going through.

Living wills are for YOUR benefit as well as to relief your family of the burden of having to make medical decisions on your behalf. End of life counseling is an entirely different issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
I don't see how having or suggesting a Living Will is end of life counseling, really.
I think its called "planning".

And yet, this is part of what was included in the End of Life Counseling in the "1000 page bill" we were debating the merits of a while ago. And many were up in arms about this.

Honestly. I was considering one myself. I don't want to be a burden on my family if I'm somehow catatonic/vegetative.

But, whatever floats your boat.

Like I said... I see nothing wrong with this... I see nothing wrong with the GOV providing this service either.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
wait, how does the government come in involving Living Wills? I dont really see it in your initial post, just spam mail from a legal website offering to help.

I was asked by the doctors office I visit if I wanted information on living wills. Nothing to do with gov't.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
What makes you think this has anything to do with the government ??

It's just a company trying to sell you a will. why ?? because you might be getting up there in age, .... and your part of the target consumer.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
wait, how does the government come in involving Living Wills? I dont really see it in your initial post, just spam mail from a legal website offering to help.

I was asked by the doctors office I visit if I wanted information on living wills. Nothing to do with gov't.

This is exactly what was proposed as part of the "1000 page healthcare bill" which we were debating the merits of before, and many were in a tizzy about it.

I personally find nothing wrong with a doctor being encouraged to recommend these services, whether it be via a public option or not!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

What makes you think this has anything to do with the government ??

It's just a company trying to sell you a will. why ?? because you might be getting up there in age, .... and your part of the target consumer.

I never said it had anything to do with the government today.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
The Obamacare/Kennedycare/Healthcare Bill wanted to make End of Life counseling mandatory, and mandatory is where the problem comes in for some.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkStormCrow
The Obamacare/Kennedycare/Healthcare Bill wanted to make End of Life counseling mandatory, and mandatory is where the problem comes in for some.

No it did not.

It "encouraged doctors to provide it".

Far cry from mandatory. Though I have to admit, I'd support a mandatory law for people to have living wills as much as I support the law which says you have to have car insurance if you are going to drive.

I still think there should be a public option for both.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I see nothing wrong with end of life counseling. I DO see something wrong with the government doing it. First off, it's not "free". NOTHING the government does is free. Even if its no cost to the patient, the paper costs money..paid by taxpayers, the person who advises the patient gets paid a government salary, paid by the tax payers..yada yada yada on down the line.

My point is that I shouldn't have to pay for an idiot who didn't get one of these sooner. Legalzoom is charging 39 bucks for a living will, which isn't bad compared to other laywer fees, but that's YOUR responsibility, not the governments, nor any other tax payer.

However, a little research on your states gov site will give you the proper forms. You print them out, fill them out, and get them notarized and they stand up in court for a hell of a lot less than 39 dollars. I think that is the much better way to go, have the government give out information, not forcibly take action.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Actually IIRC they removed those provisions from the bill completely now.

Of course I could be mistaken

From the Senate version of the bill it was removed

[edit on 9/24/2009 by DarkStormCrow]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join