It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tourists "Arrested" in Kalona

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Tourists "Arrested" in Kalona

www.kcrg.com

Imagine you're taking a road trip, when you see the flashing lights in your mirror. It's probably the worst feeling you can have.

People traveling through the Washington County town of Kalona Thursday had that feeling, and they weren't even speeding.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
All of us at ATS know that you can be pulled over for any reason. All of us here also know that you can be arrested for any reason, but you cannot be held longer than 24 hours (72 hours on a weekend) without charge.

I'm not sure what I think about a small town, desperate for Tourism, resorting to arresting Tourists that pass by their town and coercing them to visit via LEO "arrest".

"You have the right to visit our town. You have the right to hospitality. You have the right to enjoy yourself, at our expense, for 24 hours."

Catch and Release is one thing...and it does sound like Kalona is being most hospitable in their arrests to aid and abet Tourism in their town, however, I can see this being misused and abused.

Imagine driving past Disneyland and being arrested because you didn't stop!

This is one of those Grey Areas where the town of Kalona means well, and no harm no foul on their part, but it's opening a door that shouldn't ever be opened.

I'm curious as to what everyone else on ATS thinks about this.

www.kcrg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I agree with you that they mean well, but I couldn't really decipher from the article whether or not they were required to stay.

Either way, it seems entirely improper to interrupt someone's trip and instantly put them in a state of confusion and maybe even paranoia because they had the audacity to not stop in a town they did not plan on visiting in the first place.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
WHAT? Was this a forced stay? Or did the "tourists" decide to stay on their own? I couldn't tell by reading that article. Seems to me that the law enforcement could get in trouble for arresting someone just to increase tourism.

What if every town did this. Imagine how travel would slow to a crawl...slower than riding horse & wagon back in the old days.

This is a joke right?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I can see this going over very badly for this town and law enforcement there. I mean yeah it sounds like fun and games but they are seriously using a tool for the wrong job. Unlike many here at ATS I am not going to bash the police in general because I know there are bad and good in every career.

But I think this town is setting themselves up for a big screwing by doing this. I feel sorry for them for being so desperate. In another time this might have been viewed in the good nature they intend, but not today.

Raist

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Not to mention the travelers the article says were stopped but "let go" because they were on their way the hospital.

What about people who are on a time limit?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Seems pretty obvious to me: they were stopped and offered an all expenses paid stay in the town. If they didnt want to stay, they went on their way, but if they had no fixed itinery they were quids in. Deal

I can image a lot of folk driving along that road in the hope of getting stopped so they can get a free weekend in a hotel as well.....

Edit: and I guess this must be a pretty low crime area if the police have nothing better to do than act as agents for the local tourist board!

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Essan]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It does remind me of "Cake or Death?" (Oh, well...if you put it that way, I'll take cake please!)

The article was indeed vague on whether they were actually arrested and given no choice or whether it was a matter of choice. Even if they were actually arrested, the LEO is using discretion, but not until after they've made a Traffic Stop.

There are rural areas that purposely target and ticket Tourists that pass through. This has been one of the oldest forms of Highway Robbery known to man that still happens by even our own LEOs. This at least seems like a kinder, gentler twist on that same concept though. Although, that still doesn't make it right.

Besides, imagine the dangerous situation it puts the LEOs into! Drug Runner with a big load on their way to St. Louis gets pulled over by a LEO to "arrest" them and take them to enjoy a night's stay at their town and gets his head blown off by a paranoid Drug Runner who is certain he's getting busted and has nothing to lose!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

This is total BS. Talk about abusing their power. Why don't they rent big billboard signs on the freeways that say,

"Free 1 night stay. Free gift basket. Meet the Mayor. Sightsee our attractions . Blah Blah Blah."

I am appalled by what this town has stooped to. Why don't the cops do the same when its garage sale day? Drag any cars driving on the freeway to make a stop at each garage sale.

Disguisting!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
I can see this going over very badly for this town and law enforcement there. I mean yeah it sounds like fun and games but they are seriously using a tool for the wrong job. Unlike many here at ATS I am not going to bash the police in general because I know there are bad and good in every career.

But I think this town is setting themselves up for a big screwing by doing this. I feel sorry for them for being so desperate. In another time this might have been viewed in the good nature they intend, but not today.

Raist

I agree withyou there.

When some 3 strikes fugitive has a shoot out and kills 3 cops or something, this won't seem so cute anymore.

Pulling someone over is a serious thing and should be taken with deadly seriousness. At all times, the police are armed and dangerous. Many times, people too have guns and other weapons hidden in and around their car seats and other easy to reach areas.

I can see this is going to go very badly if they are not careful, especially the way the whole word is getting worried about the police state as of late.

Originally posted by fraterormus
Besides, imagine the dangerous situation it puts the LEOs into! Drug Runner with a big load on their way to St. Louis gets pulled over by a LEO to "arrest" them and take them to enjoy a night's stay at their town and gets his head blown off by a paranoid Drug Runner who is certain he's getting busted and has nothing to lose!

Yep, my point exactly. This may seem like fun and games but there is little to no useful communication between the police car and the car being pulled over. No reason to suspect the police are pulling a cute prank on you. Someone is going to think they have no way out and this is going to be a tragedy.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
If they are doing this to boost Tourism then they have just shoot them selfs in the foot. When this gets out no one will drive any where near that town.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
hmmm not only is it mocking the justice system but, the use of lawenforcers to catch tourists is a waste of city/county/state/goverment money.

they for crying out loud stopped someone on the way to the hospital.

this my friends is unlawfull, they just broke every law there is about personal integrity, way to go! and they are making a joke out of it for you to suck up and accept.

if id be king of US that day id bulldows the place to the ground for failing being human and accept that where they live other people dosnot want.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It's nothing more than a clever marketing ploy. There is no way they would actually have the power to threaten/coerce someone with arrest if they didn't spend a little touristy time in the town. If they tried to actually arrest someone the ACLU would be down that town's throat so fast, they wouldn't know what hit them.

top topics

join