It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tired of the double standard!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
While at work yesterday, a woman came into the business. She was an African American woman. She announced to me and my co-workers that tomorrow was she and her husbands anniversary. We all offered our congratulations, and one of my co-workers said to her " oh maybe he will send you flowers"! Nothing wrong with that statement right? Well, the ladies reply to that was and I quote "he had better not send me flowers, thats white girl crap, I told him to just give me the damn money"! Now I have been thinking about this...if I had said anything about anything being "black girl crap" do you know the kind of trouble I would have gotten in? Not only was that rude, I think it was racist! Fingers are always pointed at whites as being the racist ones... I think not! I would never have said anything like that to her or anyone of a race different that my own. I love all people and do not judge anyone based on the color of their skin! It irritated me! Do you see my point?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I'm going to assume you are fairly new to the work place and living out in the world on your own and offer a little advice.

Get used to it, keep your mouth quite and vent on here.You will most likely get atleast one poster to call you a racist, but you will still be employed.

Thats it, nothing more. If you say anything then you will lose your job and be labeled racist.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yeah, I do see your point, black people can make racist comments all day and get away with it. why ?? because why not, ... let them have a lil fun , ... its like a Special Ed student calling another kid " retarded" . Let them have a moment in the sun, and feel special.

haha, now that was racist, I'm kidding of course, but yeah, its a stupid double standard, but my first comment does hold true a little, If you called her out she would feel like " your white, what do u have to worry about"

They can't really use it in a derrogatory fashion, ... you dont hear black people screaming " you bottled water drinking honkey" ....

What I'm saying is, ... no matter how bad you think it is .... its not really that bad, ... I'm sure they have to deal with alot more crap than you. So relax when a black girl says you can't dance, ..... because you probably can't.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
happens all the time...apparently only white people can be racist...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisd250

That is not what I was implying so be so kind as to NOT put words in my mouth!!! You totally missed the point!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Oh now see I can pop and lock and smoke the dance floor, I got the mad skills in that area!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Just because a person may have a rough life does not excuse crap like that.

Hell I grew up dirt poor eating fried bologna that we got from the National Guard Armory(stood in line for hours to get it too). Does that give me an excuse to spout ignorant racist crap?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The thing is ... its not ignorant racist crap. Some things may be true, white people probably do buy more roses than black people. Black people dance better than white people....... just innocent observations if you ask me.

Dont get bent out of shape because a black person implied that white people enjoy buying roses for eachother...... if anything she knocked herself, .... so relax, take those brass knuckles off and stop punching that picture of Jesus.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

What I'm saying is, ... no matter how bad you think it is .... its not really that bad, ... I'm sure they have to deal with alot more crap than you. So relax when a black girl says you can't dance, ..... because you probably can't.

awww poor minorities...they deserve the right to be as racist as they accuse the rest of the world of since we horrible whiteys have kept them down all these years...couldn't possibly be the lack of desire or aptitude for education and the teaching their kids to deal crack, no?
definitely the white people makin them look bad.
now THAT was racist. and a little true.

i don't think that all (in fact most) black people fit that stereotype...but i DO know that even calling them "black people" offends some of them....
and honestly...on the one hand i guess i get it. we are all just "people" but on the other hand, i have no problem if i get called a white girl...because i am.

and as long as there is no animosity and its not too derogatory (i may be upset with the honky term simply out of respect) i don't get too upset...and i do understand that minorities (i hate that word) have had to deal with a lot more guff for silly things like color and such for a very long time and it can't be easy.

but that is absolutely no excuse to be flagrant with racial terms when i'm sure they expect or appreciate when others keep the racial slurs and derogatory racial comments to themselves.

that said.
if i were you OP, i'd just shrug it off. she likely didn't mean anything by it...
don't you ever call black people black? if you do, you really can't be mad unless she is obviously racist.
in which case, i cam a bit tired of the double standard. (though it doesn't make BEING racist okay whether you are white, black or plaid.)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

Oh now see I can pop and lock and smoke the dance floor, I got the mad skills in that area!

seems assuming a black person can dance better than a whitey is a bit racist...but all in good fun, right? these are the kind of racist "jokes" I laugh about...
i would have thought the roses comment was hilarious had i been there. its funny to joke...to an extent. but if she were seriously racist, it would bother me. since its such a crime that ALL white people are so guilty of.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Black people, well they have so much media that makes, and or tells them that they should feel victimized, and their families and such make them feel victimized, and even music artists say they should feel victimized.

Even if it's not flat out saying it, but little hints.

I see it daily. I'll list examples if need be.

I guess, it's sort of maybe humor for them, but for white people we laugh, then think, well I said that joke about, "what do you say when you see a floating tv in your room at night.... freeze *****" and you just flipped out! It was funny you have to admit, and even though I don't go around in a ghost outfit and put giant lowercase t's in peoples lawns, you put me on par with them!

I know white people who can dance like they were born to dance.

I know black people who is a head chef at the Hotel Hilton.

I've know both sides.

It's still the US vs. Them mentality.

Black Vs. White White VS. Black.

There are many stereotypes against black people though, crack heads, thugs, gangsters.

They've come to terms in it someways like, actually making being a thug or hood rat as being cool and hip, and being promoted. (not on crack though, because we all agree crack is wack, except for crackheads they think it's just grand lol)

All in all of what i'm trying to say.

Is that we're all people, and people better rise the **** up and realize this, and put little bs of hockey players and basketball players aside, and learn that if we keep biccuring, about this, then we're all damned.

And that bringing up racism, although it may be funny at points, shouldn't be used as a social norm.

Now I heard a ton of personal info from that woman.

Especially "Flowers are white girl **** I want the money".

Well to be honest, if her sex isn't freaken fantastic which would at least put her on par with a prostitute, I feel very sorry for her husband, because chances are she's cheating already, or is going to very soon.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well, you've brave for starting a thread like this. No matter how good your intentions your going to get attacking posts from all sides.

I feel a couple of contradictory things about this topic:
1) Given what we did to them, they deserve to say whatever they want about us or themselves.
2) A good natured, balanced person has no use for racist comments toward anyone.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Never mind, wouldn't make a differance.

OP, see what I mean. If you say something about it and stick with your opinion you will no doubt get the reaction that I am getting.

I have proven my point and will no longer participate in this thread.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by jd140]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

The thing is ... its not ignorant racist crap. Some things may be true, white people probably do buy more roses than black people. Black people dance better than white people....... just innocent observations if you ask me.

John travolta, kevin bacon, patrick swayze.

Great dancers!

I can name more but that's just ones off the top of my head.

The only reason why, they 'seem' to dance better.

Is and you know it.

The shake their asses on the floor, and well it makes you horny, and you instantly think good dancing, it's all erotica stuff, which dancing is, but it takes no real talent.

Just like the Stanky leg, the your a jerk, the move left, then quickly move right.

And then all the creators of a so called dance say, "you can't do it like me".

And for some reason, everyone goes, no no I can't.

Hahahaha

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
You need to understand only white people can be racist. No one else can be racist its just simply not possible it is probably genetic. Its like original sin we are born racist and have to spend our lives proving we aren't. I hope this helps

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Well, you've brave for starting a thread like this. No matter how good your intentions your going to get attacking posts from all sides.

I feel a couple of contradictory things about this topic:
1) Given what we did to them, they deserve to say whatever they want about us or themselves.

WTF??

I didn't do anything to them!

I did absolutely nothing to a black person, at any point in my life

NOW TELL ME WHY THE **** I SHOULD BE CRITICIZED FOR SOMETHING I NEVER DID.

What logic is this? Are you that stupid!?

(Stupid in place of ignorant because it's more fitting)

No, that's like saying Jews can take over the world and kill people at will, because well, it's been rough for them!

I'm astonished!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yeah it's a shame, but as someone else said we just have to keep our mouths closed and accept.

Soon, just being white will be a hate crime.

Also to the person above me, great post, I applaude. It's thinking like the person you were commenting to that started genocides such as the Holocaust, and it really is a barbaric thought process.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Deus Ex Machina 42]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
ANOTHER example that shows how acceptable it is for non-whites to say everything and anything negative against whites, but whites dare say anything negative about non-whites and it IS racism. I find it baffling that people cannot see the double standard here.

Besides considering the situation in reverse, can you honestly not see how deep-seeded the notion of "negativity toward whites is ok" has been drilled into her head?

How come Hollywood can make movies such as "White men can't jump..." but you can't make a movie "Black men can't skate..."

(BTW that last one is a fictional movie title about a promising black ice-skating amateur who turns pro and wins the world championships
)

The first movie title suggests that white basketball players do not have the ability to jump and reach the same heights as black basketball players can.

The second movie title suggests that black people cannot perform ice-skating because racism prevents them from doing so.

Do you see the problem here?

[edit on 17/9/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
While at work yesterday, a woman came into the business. She was an African American woman. She announced to me and my co-workers that tomorrow was she and her husbands anniversary. We all offered our congratulations, and one of my co-workers said to her " oh maybe he will send you flowers"! Nothing wrong with that statement right? Well, the ladies reply to that was and I quote "he had better not send me flowers, thats white girl crap, I told him to just give me the damn money"! Now I have been thinking about this...if I had said anything about anything being "black girl crap" do you know the kind of trouble I would have gotten in? Not only was that rude, I think it was racist! Fingers are always pointed at whites as being the racist ones... I think not! I would never have said anything like that to her or anyone of a race different that my own. I love all people and do not judge anyone based on the color of their skin! It irritated me! Do you see my point?

Well it's "understood" socially that white people are supposed to sort of "take it from behind" by blacks for being socio-economically superior to them. Sort of like let's say you're walking down the street and a bum kicks you, you're supposed to sort of turn a blind eye because well, he's a bum afterall and you're more well-of than him so why rub it in his face? So in that same sense, it's an "unspoken" social silent understanding that whites are supposed to take 'minor' denigrations from blacks since whites are supposedly better socio-economically endowed and of course there's that whole slavery thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join