It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are young women becoming more narcissistic?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This writer (a woman) seems to think so:

The ego epidemic: How more and more of us women have an inflated sense of our own fabulousness
By Lucy Taylor

More of us have huge expectations of ourselves, our lives and everyone in them. We think the universe resolves around us, with a deluded sense of our own fabulousness, and believe we are cleverer, more talented and more attractive than we actually are.

We have trouble accepting criticism and extending empathy because we are so preoccupied with ourselves.

Source
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Sad part is that people like that and a majority of the rest of the world are totally unprepared when a situation hits and have absolutely no clue how to handle real life.Just a bunch of marshmallows.

That's the negative side to living in that little, self absorbed fantasy world.The illusion detracts them from the actual facts of reality.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Awesome post! I've been discussing the new empowerment of women in the last 5-10yrs with my fiance`.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think it's a societal phase.

Just like with black people, the whole gangs, and black power, buy black, only black people are 'hip' and 'hop'. lol

Women are going through it too, especially when all the advertisements are about smart moms and dumb dads. Media pushes that women are all smarter.

Actually the media plays the biggest role in how we act... sad enough.

It'll pass in about a hundred years, they'll come to the same recognition we all do, that life doesn't really care what you are.

I've met just as many narcissitic girls as I have polar opposites of that.

For these little made up groups, Were like starburst packages, all different shapes and colors, but no one is better then the other, and end the end, all our 'unique' colors become brown.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bballjamal
Awesome post! I've been discussing the new empowerment of women in the last 5-10yrs with my fiance`.

I could (and have) argued for hours about this with my wife and also on teh intrawebz.

My take on it is that there are two main factors at work here.

1) The media is much, much more powerful than people realize...even those who are aware that it has a detremental effect. An entire generation or two of both men AND women have been brainwashed for various reasons and in various directions. Among women, this translates into materialism (handbags, shoes, etc.) plus a kind of male-bashing that allows them to feel, superficially at least, a kind of unnatural yet seductive sense of power. But it is illusionary and media-induced, and when these warped-brained folks interface with reality, the results are rarely pleasant.

2) More women have entered the office workplace and become like men. Corporate jockying often involves harsh egoism and narcissism, and this impacts women as well as men.

Sad stuff, people.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Seriously? That woman should speak for herself. Anyway, it would help if we didn't constantly tell little girls how cute or pretty they are as apposed to brave or smart. And treat women in general like they have value other than their looks, but I guess that's too big an order. Let's just criticize the ones that have a little self esteem left. It'll make use feel better.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD
Seriously? That woman should speak for herself. Anyway, it would help if we didn't constantly tell little girls how cute or pretty they are as apposed to brave or smart. And treat women in general like they have value other than their looks, but I guess that's too big an order. Let's just criticize the ones that have a little self esteem left. It'll make use feel better.

All things in moderation.

All humans need to feel a sense of dignity and self-worth. At the same time, excessive "empowerment" and unrealistic expectations are a sign of social decay.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Before the Women's Liberation Movement, married women were mostly encouraged to stay at home and take care of the family and keep the house in order. Men would go out and work and provide for the family from a financial sense, while mothers would provide for the family in an emotional sense. This turned out to be good for the majority of families world wide. Also, importantly, divorce rates were much lower than they are now, families were more stable than they are now, and the behaviour of youths was less rebellious than is now. (I understand other factors may come into these findings, but I feel they ARE directly related to Feminism).

Then came Women's Liberation and things changed. The gibe that women couldn't have a career was shoved down the throats of the general population and further DIVISION amongst people resulted. Women who were living FULFILLING and emotionally rich lives were convinced that there was "something more" and that they SHOULD think about their career opportunities.

So now society is like this: women have equal rights in that they can VOTE and enter politics (I consider these things very positive). Yet, radical Feminists have cemented the idea in teenagers and young women that the most important thing for them to consider is THEIR careers and what they want to do from a professional sense.

This has lead to more selfish mothers, less responsible fathers, hostility between the two, and a generation of angry kids that were not raised properly!

Young women ARE becoming narcissistic, but the blame for this rests mostly on the shoulders of the evil, deceitful, hidden, radical Feminist agenda!

[edit on 16/9/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
basically we are trying to build our ego's because
the male has always put us in second place throughout
all of history.
we are just as capable of being CEO of any company as any male. so..
*blows raspberry*
besides, do you not know that the young female generation in this age has one of THE lowest self esteems ever. so let us gloat will ya? you had centuries and centuries to do so, let us have our time yeah?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I also wonder if the breakdown of the nuclear family in general bears a great deal of responsibility. Consider the following:

n the Matriarchal System the reproductive unit consists of the mother and her offspring, the father playing a marginal role, wandering into and out of the "family," subject to dismissal at the mother's bidding. The central fact about this kind of family is its naturalness. Roman jurists spoke of maternity as a natural fact, "natura verum," and of paternity as merely a matter of civil law. "In all but a few species," writes Sarah Hardy, "females are permanent residents in social groups, males mere transients." This is the reproductive arrangement of all lower mammals. It has been the reproductive arrangement of the human race itself until recently. Its biological backup is awesome--what Margaret Mead meant by saying the female role is a "biological fact."

It is the reproductive pattern which re-emerges in times of social catastrophe. When men are killed on battlefields or cast into prisons, female-headed families carry on. When there is divorce, the mother takes custody of the children. When ghetto males sit on curbsides and get stoned, ghetto females and children stay home and watch T.V. The matriarchal family may result from catastrophe, but it may also result from doing nothing, from biological and social drifting. It is always on standby, always waiting to resurface and re-establish itself. It is what society lapses into when the upkeep and maintenance of the patriarchal system is neglected. It is the pattern which is re-emerging at the present time under the aegis of the feminist/sexual revolution.

It is the pattern found in surviving Stone Age societies.

Source:
www.fisheaters.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The problem is that woman want it both ways. You can open the door yourself since we are "equal"
Equality means no special treatment. Men and woman are not equal in ability, but everyone should have equal opportunity. Then it gets sorted out by who can or cannot.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I know the article just discusses women, but I think men are doing the same thing, too. For example, I remember a classmate a few years ago saying something about how he "should be able to walk into any bar in the city and find a girl to take home for the night," after complaining at trying for months to do just that and failing.

He was not attractive, (I don't think; hard for me to judge on men, being a man also) not very bright, probably wasn't rich since he was in school still, and not particularly nice or anything, either. If I were a woman, I wouldn't have looked twice at him. I've known an awful lot of people of both genders like that. It's probably why so many relationships fail; put two people like that together, and both will always wonder why the other is never giving to the relationship, when both are so selfish, conceited, and deluded that they expect the other to worship them and are surprised and hurt when it doesn't happen.

I, for one, am perfectly willing to admit that I'm not perfect. Once, long ago, I thought I had made a mistake, but I was wrong. (/lamejoke)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I think this has been common in our culture for thousands of years. Women are basically more attractive than men. I feel sorry for beautiful women because it usually doesn't last for most of them. A few are lucky and escape childbirth body-break-down.

I would imagine statistics with female prisons will speak for themselves also.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I agree totally

I think the majority of young gals if given a chance would take on a whole bar full of men just to get a boost.

It seems to be related to the phnom that was inspired by the mainstreaming of Gangbanging. To be as hard and as popular as humanly possible, of course
women get that type of esteem by doing the bounce - as men get it by fighting, lying and killing.

It will be an interesting day when these mommas are all battle axed out and sporting a perma purse. There will be close to a whole generation of empty ladies un able to really love in the way nature intended, too busy hating their crows feet and the men who could care less anymore.

Girls Gone Wild

[edit on 16-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Care to post the names and addresses of any of the bars you mention in your post?

Just kidding...sort of.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
reply to post by mental modulator

Care to post the names and addresses of any of the bars you mention in your post?

Just kidding...sort of.

Just find a University, find a bar SAT night and you will be sure to find the above mentioned goodness if you know your target.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

This has lead to more selfish mothers, less responsible fathers, hostility between the two, and a generation of angry kids that were not raised properly!

[edit on 15/9/2009 by Dark Ghost]

bravo!
as a woman, i couldn't agree with you more.

i'm absolutely appalled at the women/mothers (they barely deserve the title) taking their parental role lightly...some due to just plain selfishness, others under the delusion that its more important to make a lot of money by working all hours the baby is awake (and do you know how much childcare costs???)
i'm sorry, i love being a woman and i respect a strong woman. but man, i am so disappointed in the females that i see day to day in my life and in public...its sad.
i honestly don't see that as rampant in males other than the general most people are crappy people anymore. almost every situation with a kid involved that i see anymore the dad is taking care of the kid more and cares more for the kid than the mothers. poor kids.

as a woman and a mother i think that women should stay home and be mothers for as long as they possibly can or need to (for the children)
there is something to be said for women feeling empowered and having lives in addition to being a mom...but anymore it seems that the responsibilities of being a mom has become simply being able to find a babysitter so you can carry on with your life. its like, just don't have kids then selfish a-holes!!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's interesting that a young woman recognizes the problem...that's a good sign.

A very good book explains the current trend with well researched data and suggestions for a solution:

The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement (Hardcover)
by Jean M. Twenge Ph.D. (Author), W. Keith Campbell Ph.D. (Author)

Here's the link to the Amazon listing:
www.amazon.com...=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Editorial Reviews From Booklist
Twenge and Campbell, psychologists and authors of previous books on self-admiration, team up for a thorough look at a troubling trend that has broad cultural implications. They begin by chronicling changes in American culture that have brought us Botox, fake paparazzi, and MySpace. The authors distinguish between self-esteem and narcissism, drawing on scientific research, but focus on narcissistic personality traits “among the normal population” and cultural narcissism that goes deep into social values. The authors debunk myths about narcissism—that it is necessary in order to be competitive and that narcissists are actually overcompensating for low self-esteem. Although young girls have been hit hardest by the narcissism epidemic, with unrealistic notions of physical beauty, the scourge has affected us all—witness Wall Street greed and the mortgage crisis with its overblown sense of materialism and entitlement. The authors argue that the nation needs to recognize the epidemic and its negative consequences, and take corrective action. Individuals can start by practicing gratitude, and parents can teach their children friendship skills, with the emphasis on others rather than self. --Vanessa Bush

fixed ex tags k/j

[edit on 23/9/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

My youngest daughter (just turned 19) is like that... but its starting to fade...
My oldest daughter, (now 24 and the mother of an adorable little 2yo girl) is wholly focused on her child...

People change when they get older, or if new responsibilities change their direction...

I should also add that narcissism is stronger in my sons

[edit on 16-9-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Debsturrs
besides, do you not know that the young female generation in this age has one of THE lowest self esteems ever.

Do you think it has anything to do with the widely believed lie, told by women to other women, that going to work is a more fulfilling experience than motherhood?

Jon

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join