It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want education. not occupation.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Just about realized its in the wrong forum, sorry please move mods ty!

I realize the education i am receiving from my high school is limited, enclosed in a box, and it does not allow me to think. i am not challenged at all is any way. after a summer break and total change in perspective, im pissed! this education system we have here in a so called developed country, Canada i am in by the way, does not allow one to explore possibilities, but only build on the ones that are obviously wrong in heart. i would rather drop out and go under some physicists wing and get no diploma or mark of achievement than get credits and degrees, it would benefit me more than this school system ever could.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by gandhi]

[edit on 14-9-2009 by gandhi]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You can learn a lot from the internet. Teach yourself! your resources are limitless! read some books.
Just be happy you are not a slave to corporate daily struggle of financial survival. Enjoy your school years because before you know it it's work and sleep.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You can learn a lot from the internet. Teach yourself! your resources are limitless! read some books.
Just be happy you are not a slave to corporate daily struggle of financial survival. Enjoy your school years because before you know it it's work and sleep.

Sorry i dont know why this double posted... i have high speed internet and didnt click twice. =/

[edit on 14-9-2009 by sgrrsh26]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Start researching subjects that interest you online, at the local library, and start watching educational television. Most of what I know now I learned after high school. Most teachers mean well but with the curriculum and sheer number of students and the asinine policies that the government makes (Standardized Tests, not sure if they have those in Canada).

Always take anything with a grain of salt and never accept anything as truth unless it passes all the mental processes you can subject it to. The education system is really designed to grind out identical little worker-drones, cogs which are meant to conform and fit in with society but society doesn't work, its broken, and so many of the cogs are broken too. They really can't support thinking outside the box because that might turn you into a free-thinking individual. Good thing is not everyone becomes a zombie, many people, thanks to the efforts of the good teachers who think outside the box, come out of it okay...

Just learn about what YOU want to learn about, this is the information age after all...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
run

(edit personal info)

[edit on 14-9-2009 by angelx666]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Boy, what has ever happened to people doing things for themselves?

Let me get this straight. The education in your own standards sucks. Yet you still want to go under a wing of another person or have someone else change it for you.

How about this.

Get a job, and spend some money doing a bit of your own research. Teach yourself some computer programming, math, go outside and do some research, use the money from your job to take a trip to some place educational.

What do you want? People to spoon-feed you information that they do not know? People can only teach what they know. Do a bit of discovering yourself, and quit blaming the your problems on other people.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Don't listen to people that say to get your info online.

GO TO A LIBRARY, and read. Read about biology, anthropology, history, and science. Read classic novels. Read random books and get a variety of information. Read about food & nutrition.

Don't trust the internet, please!! . . . even National Geographic is in the hands of the illuminati, and is very biased. How much more are other, less respectable sites.

LIBRARY. READ.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

You may not know this but the library of congress is online. Thats right you can read all the books that are in libraries online too.

BEST LEARNING TOOL EVER the internet.

The internet is a REAL threat to ALL established indoctrination systems/ public school systems.

Use the Net. It is your friend.

Even those that decry it online are still themselves online.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Half the stuff on the internet is misleading or flat-out--wrong, so the library is a better place to learn. If you read actual books online, i suppose it's okay but it won't be as comfortable.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Bittorrent is your friend.

The how-to torrents alone can provide more knowledge than can be gained through the system's schools. Don't get some schmuck's .doc, but look for scans of actual books in .pdf

Learn woodworking, metalworking, farming, engineering, liquor, etc, it's all out there for the gathering.

And don't let anyone convince you to stop learning.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
(snicker)

I spent the better part of 3 summers in the 500 - 600 sections of my local library. You would be amazed at what you can find there. With black and white cartoons on TV, Saturdays were a joke. (Thats where technology was at then) Some of those books talked about Spontaneous Human Combustion, others about Astronomy... I even found one that detailed how to build your own particle accelerator.

Yep, lots of data in the library.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Go to the library as previous posters have said. Look now to see what interests you the most and act on it.

I chose physics because it is the greatest challenge for me. Music is a close second. Finding one's purpose is a task in itself, so starting now, like you are, is great.

I do not believe in luck, so I will say, Good Researching!

BTW: Check out my thread in my signature, where I critiqued the educational system.

Anyway. ttyl

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Bravo OP.
You do it.
Not much a conventional education is good for, other than becoming a teacher and passing on the same irrelevant drivvel

Learn how to think, learn how to learn and then most of all, learn how to become conscious in the present moment. Then life will become your school and your access to information will surpass each and every one of your peers.
Best of luck ... took me one year in a dumb corporate job after graduating to learn that one, but I never looked back.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
reply to post by titorite

Half the stuff on the internet is misleading or flat-out--wrong, so the library is a better place to learn. If you read actual books online, i suppose it's okay but it won't be as comfortable.

Only half?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

Get a job, and spend some money doing a bit of your own research. Teach yourself some computer programming, math, go outside and do some research, use the money from your job to take a trip to some place educational.

What do you want? People to spoon-feed you information that they do not know? People can only teach what they know. Do a bit of discovering yourself, and quit blaming the your problems on other people.

That's exactly what I did, though I started doing personal scientific research back in my pre-teen years in the library, now it's a combination of internet and library. I also learn other stuff, mostly IT related like website development.

I could've actually got into a science or physics curriculum but being in a 3rd world country, it was lack luster and you end up poor.. So instead, I got into a curriculum that could get you a nice job and pursue science later..

Like I got engineering curriculum, working as a computer programmer, and doing a self-study with quantum mechanics, astrophysics and other fields of science in my free time.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

And I respect and star you for that!

Someone doing something at their own free will...sheesh, what a rarity.

I find it ironic that the OP is asking for education reform, when all it will do is breed the same type of people in mass quantity.

You will always be the same as others until you branch out yourself. The education has its flaws, but if all schools were like "better" ones (not ghetto, poverty stricken ones), it wouldn't be TO bad. Everything in life can get better though.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Not necessarily.

If education were reformed to get rid of the useless fact based learning style, and begin a developmental style, where students are simply taught how to learn, how to think and how to become present, and then given access to resources, individuality and creativity would have a very powerful forum to manifest itself.

Imagine that kind of world

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I hate to admit it, but the OP's problem goes deeper than a stagnant curriculum. I'm not sure how many of you have experienced High School in Canada in the past 5 years, so let me tell you that it isn't a pretty place anymore.

Its not just that the curriculum is stagnant, as I have already said, it is also that the schools are actively repressing original thought now. The more you stay in line and act like a drone, the better the teachers treat you. Essays are almost unseen, most original works that used to be required in the curriculum are gone in favour of bland "fill in the blanks" style worksheets.

I went into Highschool after 4 years of homeschooling expecting it to be amazing and open my mind. I came out a drained and conflicted drone, my original intensity and imagination cracked after 5 years of being forced to conform to the mold that the Canadian education system strives to create.

In short, I feel for you OP. Follow the advice in the thread, gather your wits and study on your own. Make the best of a bad situation and don't given in to the educational system here. Canada doesn't want originality, it wants subservient people that can work low level jobs. Might be different back east, but here in BC the schools are hardly bastions of enlightened thought.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I agree with OP. High School sucks. Im in US by the way. It's pure repetition and memorization. No critical thinking or challenges.. I'm in all honors and and advanced placement classes. Trust me, it's horrible. It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to believe in the "dumbing down of america". Some teachers even admit it's happening. In the end it just makes you feel more depressed and you feel as if you become more stupid by attending high school. I have a friend in the UK and her education is not nearly as ridiculous as ours. Over there they have this thing called CRITICAL THINKING which americans don't know much about. The top ten in my class are idiots who can memorize information well. Ask them to explain something however, they get lost. Let us not forget. We live in a society where the "nerd" is stigmatized. Yes. You will be called "gay" or "nerdy" for reading a book other than Twilight. I have been called a nerd for liking to draw. EVERYTHING productive is nerdy. Call me crazy... But this is my daily experience.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Schooling, as it exists largely today, is not education. It is training.

Education teaches you to think. You can do this yourself, with the help of others.. As suggested above, READ. While you are out there in the world, looking for books in the library, the retail store or the used book store, you will meet people. When you meet these people, speak with them. Discourse is a critical aspect of education. Some of the most profound lessons that I have ever learned were taught/revealed to me in garden variety 'bull sessions'. It seems that our society has lost the art of sitting on the front porch (literally or figuratively) and just talking. I blame the proliferation of distractions (television, 500 channels, the internet, as well as the way so many people live in subdivisions these days) on the loss of just sitting around and talking, but I digress.

To recap, read, and read a wide swath, from technology through philosophy to literature. Cultivate friendships with like-minded persons, those who are educating themselves, not necessarily people who agree with your current positions. Good luck with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join