It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Peace" protest in NYC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
These people apparently are unaware of what peace really is.

This data from NY1 reporter talking to an NYPD Captain on 1st avenue reading a list of events...

100 Arrests as of 5:00 PM, more than 20 for Felony assault.

18 NYPD officers injured

4 NYPD police dogs injured (kicked by the crowd)

2 NYPD horses injured, one tackled to the ground by the crowd, it may need to be put down.

Over 150 reports of property damage so far, no cost estimate... three reports are of innocent people who simply were surrounded by the crowd while trying to get somewhere in their car.

Idiots.

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 05:50 PM
link   
That really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bunch of fu-ken a-s holes with out a clue.

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sound's like domestic terrorism to me.... LOCK 'EM UP!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok, why are they protesting? Do they like it when Saddam gasses his own people? Do they like Saddam executing someone for tearing up a newspaper with his picture on it? For making a joke about him? For holding rallies? These people are ignorant. They are peace nick hippies only when it comes to Saddam. Ask me they are being funded by Saddam to hold these protests.

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
James,

I'm willing to bet, your right!

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Ok, why are they protesting? Do they like it when Saddam gasses his own people? Do they like Saddam executing someone for tearing up a newspaper with his picture on it? For making a joke about him? For holding rallies? These people are ignorant. They are peace nick hippies only when it comes to Saddam. Ask me they are being funded by Saddam to hold these protests.

Are they being being funded by Saddam to hold these protests James??? I ask :-)

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Thanks for asking SB. I have no proof as of yet, but I would bet a dime on a beet this true. Maybe funded by Sadam, or maybe some Mauslim group. Who knows, I just don't understand how they condone Saddam gassing his own people, executing them for ridicules things.

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I contend because of just this kind of activity, they deem it neccessary for another attack to drum up public support for war..... stay tuned, and stay away from large public gatherings...

Who knows, maybe the attack will take the form of a VX attack on a peace rally? Wouldnt that do the trick?????

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   
as with all mass protests, there a few troublemakers trying to start up trouble. you cant blame the entire crowd, that's ignorant

i was there yesterday, and the crowd was mostly complacent compared to how the police were rediculously controlling blocking 100s of people to a sidewalk and preventing 10s of thousands of people from entering protests. there were also reports of cops pepper-spraying innocent protesters.

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
dude...

These people need to understand they're in a city on high alert. The police are nervous and more concerned about controlling the crowd than making sure everyone can join in.

A report on the local CBS New York station this morning has 90 of the 300+ property damage reports from the supposed "calm" center of the protests on 1st Avenue. Right, complacent... sure... keep fooling yourself.

You have a right to protest, but not at the expense of damaging the private property of others.

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by William
These people apparently are unaware of what peace really is.

This data from NY1 reporter talking to an NYPD Captain on 1st avenue reading a list of events...

100 Arrests as of 5:00 PM, more than 20 for Felony assault.

18 NYPD officers injured

4 NYPD police dogs injured (kicked by the crowd)

2 NYPD horses injured, one tackled to the ground by the crowd, it may need to be put down.

Over 150 reports of property damage so far, no cost estimate... three reports are of innocent people who simply were surrounded by the crowd while trying to get somewhere in their car.

Idiots.

My God, these people are supposed to be demonstrating against war and violence and here they are attacking defenseless animals and police officers
Actually the horses/dogs are considered police officers so they will probably be fined as if they assaulted a human officer.

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You're right MM, with the animal and human officer thing. if you kill a K-9 drug sniffing dog, you will be in the same amountof trouble as killing a human officer. Except killing a human cop can be punishable by death, and don't know about dog or horse cop.

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Some more recent data from the evening news...

250 total arrests now.
12 of the arrests are serious felony assault against cops.
2 of the felony assults are the people that brought down the horse.
380 complaints of property damage. (109 from the supposedly calm center on 1st Avenue)
$5 million on overtime cost to the city.

This "peace" protest was more violent by 20 times (in arrests) than the anarchist's protests against the World Bank a few months ago... and the anarchists planned to be violent.

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
"dude...

These people need to understand they're in a city on high alert. The police are nervous and more concerned about controlling the crowd than making sure everyone can join in. "

look, you have to understnad, the protesters were absoloutly complacent, i was there. there were cops everywhere, there were 500,000 protesters, if the huge majority of the crowd wasn't complacent there would be something called a riot. there were a very limited number of events of violence on both sides, you cant blame the actions of a few on the many. at a huge unregulated right wing rally you're goign to see ayrans and/or klan members walking around, at a liberal rally you're going to see anarchists and communists. these people who went are living democracy, there's always a violent radical sect - you just cant blame everyone. it's just ignorant.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Hmm has anyone heard of what's been going on in SF?

I heard things were getting out of control there too, and burning flags *shakes fist*

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by drudgejr
look, you have to understnad, the protesters were absoloutly complacent, i was there. there were cops everywhere,

I live here. I tried to get down to see what was going on, but when I emerged from the 51st street subway at Lexington (about noon), there were about 150 "protestors" running down the sidewalk, chanting "this is what democracy looks like" throwing smoke bombs.

I couldn't get to 1st, so I went home.

Have you seen the video on NY1 of the chrowd on 2nd? The horses were being used to control the crowd. People were backing into the horses and pretending to be unaware. One person slapped the horse on the rear, the horse spun, knock over someone, and four people jumped the horse's head and wrestled the horse and cop to the ground.

I understand you can't blame everyone, but it's very ironic that this peace protest has resulted in more property damage, injuries, and arrests than other protests that were planned to be violent. Don't you think?

Peace. right.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Peace protest? Sure. It's one of several issues.
But, given the fact that America has been overtaken by the oligarchy that is the Bush camp, things will get worse.
"On High Alert" is a catch phrase cover all that will be the newest Orwellian phrase to catch vogue.....just like WMD's, and be used to camo police state tactics.
I see no reason why peaceful protesters should ALL endure what the fringe factions warrant.
Or are you believer in "Free Speech Zones"!?!

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Err.. have you lot even checked out what the police where up to on that rally? Attacking protesters, ripping down their placards, why? because they wouldnt stay on the pavement. openly sneering and shouting at and insulting the protestors, 400 where draged off in handcuff and later realeased without charge. A British journalist (richard wallace, daily mirror) who witnessed this was told "hey bud, if you know whats good for you, get the f**k away". many who had travelled hundreds of miles where held back from joining the protests for no good reason. this is your basic freedoms dissapearing as we speak, and you all lap it up like honey.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Err.. have you lot even checked out what the police where up to on that rally? Attacking protesters, ripping down their placards, why?

Absolutely... the protesters had extended way beyond the zone defined by their permit and were not listen to directives to try and get them to go back. Again, they were being very unreasonable in testing the police by moving beyond the zone allowed in a city under high altert for violent threats.

If you think that containment was bad, or excessive, you should be here new year's eve.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 12:00 PM
link   
People don't know the whole issue.

They hear WAR and they think of the hundreds, maybe thousands, possibly millions that could be killed.

They don't see what could happen if Saddam's regime continues. They don't see what could happen if he gets a chance to launch a nuke.

He's proved violent before, let's not underestimate him.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join