It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost world of fanged frogs and giant rats discovered in Papua New Guinea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Lost world of fanged frogs and giant rats discovered in Papua New Guinea

www.guardian.co.uk

A team of scientists from Britain, the United States and Papua New Guinea found more than 40 previously unidentified species when they climbed into the kilometre-deep crater of Mount Bosavi and explored a pristine jungle habitat teeming with life that has evolved in isolation since the volcano last erupted 200,000 years ago. In a remarkably rich haul from just five weeks of exploration, the biologists discovered 16 frogs which have never before been recorded by science, at least three new fish, a new bat and a giant rat, which may turn out to be the biggest in the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
More and more to found on this planet we call home. To even think that we as a species have discovered all that the Earth has to offer is impossible, new species of animal and reptile continue to be discovered. This is just too cool to let go to the wayside.What new connections can be made by science, new medicines, ect, ect.
The list goes on and on one further step for the advancement of the human race.(Edit to add) This is just too cool! new species found in a hidden volcanic crater

Pic's
www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-9-2009 by alyosha1981]

[edit on 8-9-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by venividivici

Linky already posted, why for you post again? Was mine not working properly? I'm confused here, fanged frog's, giant rats, links being reposted

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
That rat looks really cuddly
would be interesting to bring up one of those youngs together with a kitten. Talk about an odd pair

I love how we can, fortunately, still find pristine spots a few places on this lump of earth and water.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

Ya I agree, too cool just like the ocean depths that remain untouched by human hands can you imagine what lies yet undiscovered? Hollow Earth anybody?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
hi all the animals that u are decribing were on british tv tonight and is already on bbc iplayer under lost land of the volcano if u are interested.

only part one though.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by mad bloke]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mad bloke

Cool post if you can, it would be interesting to see the clip I can't seem to find it so if you do share.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk... i hope this works or go to bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Where are the pics of my fanged frog and/or Giant rat?!?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
These new finds are amazing!

I always get excited when I hear of new species discovery....and then sad, knowing that more than likely they will be exploited at some point.

It's what we do....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

Yeah, your linky wasn't working yesterday when I tried so I added a reply with a working link. No worries.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
Where are the pics of my fanged frog and/or Giant rat?!?

Yeah, that rat should have been next to something so we could compare it's size.

As for the fanged frog, I haven't seen hide nor hair of him.

new topics

top topics

join