It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investing in Rhodium

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I was looking up the price of gold the other day when i noticed a metal being traded that was new to me ,Rhodium

Rhodium (pronounced /ˈroʊdiəm/) is a chemical element that is a rare, silvery-white, hard transition metal and a member of the platinum group. Rhodium is found in platinum ores and is used in alloys with platinum and as a catalyst. It is abbreviated to Rh and has atomic number 45. It is one of the most expensive precious metals.

Wiki
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/68029ebc98fa.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73929b455da6.jpg[/atsimg]
It seems the price of Rhodium is about 1/10 of what it was last year because of the car manufacturing slump (its used in cat converters) so it might be worth investing. Its not a very easy metal to get your hands on either, the only place i can find selling it is www.goldfortomorrow.com... but the website looks sketchy to me.

Last year this stuff was $10000 an oz and now its $1500.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Interesting

Remember though, in a NON LIQUID MARKET like this most likely is it may be VERY COSTLY TO UNLOAD even if you are up a lot of $$$$

See the $25 BIG DJIA Futures contracts for insight into this (or just try trading the regular DJIA futures over night and see what I mean)

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Im new to this investing game myself. What do you mean by a NON LIQUID MARKET?

[edit on 7-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Sure

Non Liquid = Thin Market

Lets say this

You go to sell 1000 contracts of RHODIUM @ 100

Well There are bidders of only:

100 contracts at 99

50 contracts at 95

100 contracts at 90

750 contracts at 75

You would get filled at all those BIDS.. so if you thought you could sell at 100, guess again, you are selling at whatever the bids are at that current time if you enter a market order.

This all means, do not invest in this thing unless you know the in's and out's, who trades it, how liquid it is, and so on...

Basically IMO - just dont lol

[edit on 7-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

ah ha.. thanks for the advice.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

yep, you have to be ultra careful, esp. in OTC markets, or whatever this thing is traded on (not sure personally)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
There are no exchange traded futures in Rhodium VitalOverdose. There is a limited OTC market for industrial end-users/institutional buyers , but no active two-way market.

For a long-term buy & hold , Kitco offers a pool account - but check the spreads

Since Rhodium occurs as a Platinum byproduct , buying shares in a liquid Platinum miner with active Rhodium production , would be the most reasonable approach imo.

top topics

join