It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrageous Claims: Congressional Exemption From Health Reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Quote from source:

"If this health reform is so great, why is Congress exempt from it?!" If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that rhetorical question posed in the last month, I'd be able to take my wife out for a nice night on the town. But it is a fair question, and I hope to clear up some things about it here.

First, the coverage Congress enjoys isn't unique to Congress. It's more powerful to limit it to Congress when they're the ones responsible for the health reform legislation people are so upset about, but the fact of the matter is that Congress participates in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP).

That is to say, Congress is actually trying to give the American people the same model of coverage that all federal employees enjoy--not trying to exempt itself from some less than stellar reform deal.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 25-8-2009 by suicydking]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I haven't seen this show up here yet, so I figured I would try to help a little with the fact versus fear situation regarding health care. One more talking point cleared up. In the war to keep the status quo, people are willing to say anything if it will scare people into fighting against change.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'd like a comparative report showing just what congresscritters, other federal employees enjoy when it comes to healthcare, in comparison to what exactly we the people will enjoy if the current healthcare bill achieves law status. Just saying.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If health care reform is passed, our elected officials should be required by law to participate in the very same system they are telling us to participate in. In fact, they should do it first so they can lead by example.

Would you like to know what else isn't going to happen?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by suicydking

Yeah, and...??? What's your point? They have STILL exempted themselves from having to participate in the "reform" proposals being floated around. Another thing is that the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHB) is the program ADMINISTRATOR. That does NOT mean that ALL federal employees have the same health insurance that Congress enjoys. Just as Aetna offeres multiple health insurance programs, the FEHB administers different programs as well. To wit, this is from the BLS (www.bls.gov...) website and states the following: "Benefits and union membership. Benefits are an important part of Federal employee compensation. Federal employees may choose from a number of health plans and life insurance options; premium payments for these policies are partially offset by the Government." You can read more about the Tax-Payer SUBSIDIZED benefits provided to government employees HERE.

What makes the FEHB plans so unique is that they are subsidized by YOU, the tax-payer. In fact, the federal government pays an average of 72% of the total premium with most policy costs averaging well over $1,000 per month PER PERSON! This coverage if far beyond the national average of what employers provide for their employees which average about $427 per person! Coincidentally, the average employee is currently carrying over 50% of that cost and in many cases it is upwards of 75% and rising! The issue is that the FEHB is being exempted from the proposaed "reforms". Also interesting to note is that several of the unions that traditionally support the Democrats are also being exempted from having to participate under the proposed plans. This is a concrete example of pandering.

Now, let's do the math... there are roughly 2.5 million full-time federal employees. Their healthcare is subsidized by over 200 million tax payers and the cost is easily absorbed. Now take the over 300 Million Americans that would have to be insured under the proposed plan and the same 200 million tax-payers and what do you get? An incredibly underfunded behemoth that would require: increased taxes, rationing of services etc...

The point is this... under no circumstances does Congress want to have to exact the same costs on their healthcare that average Americans would endure. They presently have a grossly over-funded program with benefits that exceed anything any provate corporation is offering their employees. Enrolling in the "Public Option" would mean a significantly diminished benefit program. Again, 200 million funding 2.5 million people's healthcare versus the same 200 million people funding over 300 million people's healthcare - what do you think would happen to the quality and quantity of coverage offered? It is simple math. It is also simple to understand why Congress has exempted themselves from having to participate in the program.

So, hopefully you can see now why it is important to dig deep into these types of statements to see the truth in what is being presented. You can rest fully assured that YOU and I will NOT have the same coverage currently offered our politicians - which is, again, why they have already exempted themselves from having to participate. The same can be said of public education (A whole different thread!) - most politicians send their children to private schools as opposed to the disasterous public education system that they have created. Again, why do you think that is?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
If congress was going to be exempt from Obamacare, there would be no need for this legislation introduced by Rep. Fleming from LA. HR 615

Fleming said he offered the non-binding resolution after he found out that under both the House and Senate proposals, members of Congress and other federal government employees will not have to participate in the planned health insurance exchanges for at least five years.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join