It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are More Slaves Today Than at Any Time in Human History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
www.alternet.org...

The world suffers global recession, enormous inequity, hunger, deforestation, pollution, climate change, nuclear weapons, terrorism, etc. To those who say we’re not really making progress, many might point to the fact that at least we’ve eliminated slavery.

But sadly that is not the truth.

One hundred forty-three years after passage of the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and 60 years after Article 4 of the U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights banned slavery and the slave trade worldwide, there are more slaves than at any time in human history -- 27 million.

This is really an eye opening article. Modern slavery is kind of an elephant in the room for the most part. People know that it happens, but for the most part simply refuse to discuss it. This article just scratches the surface of what is going on out there. I have seen some other eye openers that touch on Dubai for example.

Anyways, do yourself a favor and read the entire thing. I'll leave with another excerpt from the article.

consider that five hours from where I live in New York -- a three-hour flight down to Port au Prince, Haiti, and an hour from the airport -- I was able to negotiate for a 10-year-old girl for cleaning and cooking, permanent possession and sexual favors. What do you think the asking price was?

TM: I don't know ... $7,500?

BS: They asked for $100, and I talked them down to $50.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Deaf Ears.

I made a thread about it, and it was seen as a us vs. them mentality.

Black and White thing. Typical.

It's useless asking people to see the world, and not themselves. That much i've learned from ats.

you'll get stars and flags, but no replies, know that much, or unless they read this and respond.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yes , I agree , there ARE MORE slaves than at any other period in Man's history, they are called WAGE SLAVES, and the good thing for the NWO is the people DON'T KNOW they're slaves.

After all , if the people ever found out they were being made more and more in debt , by the ads for the latest must have gadgets, the hippest clothes and the fastest cars, they would rebel and cause no end of mischief to the NWO, better for them to 'believe' they are free then to realise they are enslaved, you get more productivity out of them if they think they are working for themselves and not for the NWO.

The people litereally fall over themselves to get into debt with credit cards , loans and hire purchase agreements, because they've been told they have to be rich and have the latest ipod or car to be popular, and being rich means working hard, and then getting the must have new gizmo's. YOU WILL BUY PEOPLE, ( but you will get yourself into debt over it, don't worry the NWO will hold your debts)

Thats why I work to pay off all my debts , I don't buy the latest fad item, so when I die , I can die KNOWING that any debts are not mine NOR my families and that I died a FREE MAN..

The NWO and greed driven corporations keep raising taxes ( notice I didn't say the Government - governments are owned by the corporations) so people have to work longer and harder to pay them off, but then the people are offered credit cards with more high interest rates which means more debts which in turn means another couple of hours a week at work to pay them off, less personal freetime means less time for the people to realise the truth of the matter, keep their minds occupied and blind to the fact they can do something different for themselves.

WAKE UP WAGE SLAVES..

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Humans are nothing but cattle.

"I see mankind as a herd of cattle inside a fenced enclosure. Outside the fence are green pastures with plenty for the cattle to eat, while inside the fence there is not quite grass enough for the cattle. Consequently the cattle are trampling underfoot what little grass there is and goring each other to death in their struggle for existence. I saw the owner of the herd come to them and when he saw their pitiable condition he was filled with compassion for them, and thought of what he could do to improve their condition. So he called his friends together and asked them to assist him in cutting the grass from outside the fence and throwing it over the fence to the cattle. And they called that charity. Then, because the calves were dying off and not growing into serviceable cattle, he arranged that they should each have a pint of milk every morning for breakfast. Because they were dying off in the cold night he put up beautiful well-drained and well-ventilated cow sheds for the cattle. Because they were goring each other in the struggle for existence he put corks on the horns of the cattle so that the wounds they gave each other might not be so serious. Then he reserved a part of the enclosure for the old bulls and the old cows over seventy years of age. In fact, he did everything he could do to improve the conditions of the cattle. And when they asked him why he did not do the one obvious thing—break down the fences and let the cattle out—he answered, “If I let the cattle out, I should no longer be able to milk them.”

Tolstoy

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

When I read the title, I also thought it would be about wage slavery. As it turns out, that is a different depressing topic. This one is more about old fashioned slavery and I am sure that most of the victims would give their left arm to be considered merely a wage slave.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Wage slaves are a better choice, but slavery is still a huge business all over the world, they either steal or kidnap people and then sell them to the highest bidder , or con people who try to find a better life by 'promising' 'freedom' but exporting them as cheap labour, like to chinese or indian sweat shops .
The worst kind of person is not the slaver but the person who actually BUYS the 'stock' knowing where they came from, or choosing NOT to know where they came from.

Where theres demand , there'll be supply.

All slavers or buyers of slaves should be executed no matter what country they live in, that would put a stop to it after a couple of years.anyone who doesn't question where the people are from, and pays an amount of cash for another human being doesn't deserve to be treated as a human, maybe not execution , but definately treat them as a slave, shackle them up , make them work 20 hours a day, give them little food or water a day, and leave them there for 5 years , you watch how they change their attitudes.
Fines are nothing when they've made a fortune from selling flesh, its not even a deterrant , more like an inconvenience.

Slavery never really went away, it just got another name , I figured out what it was a few months ago, its now called ' Human Resources'. There's no compassion , no feelings to 'Human Resource's but the IS an emotional response when you say 'Slavery'.

What would you like to be called by? A slave? or a Resource?

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Lisa Ling did a very informative documentary called "Slave Girls of India" that I saw not too long ago on Nat. Geo. and it was truly heartbreaking. In this particular doc the parents were "selling" their daughters thinking they would be given a better life, and for the pittance that was offered. It is a sad and shameful practice.

I must say that comparing us "wage slaves" to young girls that are forced to work long hours in brothels, and in service to lazy people that won't mop their own floors is trivializing a very dehumanizing situation. I grant you that we are tricked into debt, but it is our choice, HUGE DIFFERENCE!

While the US may not be able to do that much about some of this stuff, we certainly can and should do more about the situations on our own soil. Of course given how freaking backwards this nation was when it came to the enslavement of Africans, I don't know, I just don't know.

Yet when these brothels are raided the women many times are charged with a misdemeanor prostitution charge and no investigation is done at all in how these foreign women ended up working in these brothels.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to the young men that are slaves to the fishermen in Africa too. How in the world can people do this???? It is just very sad and it just goes to show how truly barbaric humanity really is.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by DataWraith

When I read the title, I also thought it would be about wage slavery. As it turns out, that is a different depressing topic. This one is more about old fashioned slavery and I am sure that most of the victims would give their left arm to be considered merely a wage slave.

Agreed. Wage slavery is definitely an important issue, but there are worse things afoot and you don't have to go south to see it.

What most people don't realize is that a good portion of women working in our cities are victims and in the sex slave trade. The strip joints and rub and tugs are filled with them. Women coming here for a 'better' life and end up enslaved to some () who puts her to work and keeps all her money.

Or so many take a nice relaxing holiday in the Dominican and don't realize that right outside the doorstep, people are enslaved to the sugar barons.

Unfortunately most don't want to know. It might mean they have to change their habits in some small way...

[edit on 25-8-2009 by JustG]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
thanks for posting this article, it is a very important element of our reality that is for some reason something we collectively choose not to look at.

today we consider ourselves so evolved, that we have somehow over come our short comings from our past; slavery, racism, torture and the like.

when in fact these less redeeming qualities of our nature are still alive and well.

we worry about attacking Iraq to depose Saddam because he threatens the 'safety of the world' of Afghanistan because the Taliban does the same, yet we let those in Darfur die in the millions.

we, the nation of the USA, are always so busy meddling in others affairs in the name of liberty and justice but i wonder how many slaves i have talked to on the phone, who live in India and answer my questions about my messed up phone service or my broken printer. Not to pick on India alone n this, but hey Bush was going to trade our nuclear secrets for their mangoes, maybe they were going to throw in a couple of $50 slaves for his house too.

it is just such a crock, i am more than a little pissed off after reading it. 27,000,000 slaves, today.

...and i was worried about what i was going to eat for breakfast....pathetic...

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
and we think we have it bad. This is a true abomination. Well worthy of a ump and a flag.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

new topics

top topics

join