It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S.

www.dailymail.co.uk

Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European union, it has been revealed.
Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries.
The figures comes on the day new Home Secretary Alan Johnson makes his first major speech on crime, promising to be tough on loutish behaviour.
Britain has an even worse violence rate than South Africa (file picture)

The Tories said Labour had presided over a decade of spiralling violence.
I
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So I guess the gun ban, the knife ban, and the fact that the average Briton is viewed 31 times a day on CCTV cameras isn't stopping the nation's ever accelerating slide into crime and violence.

With the UK now suffering 2,034 offences per 100,000 residents, one of the most stark comparisons is with Australia, a nation with a similar social demographic having just 92 offences per 100,000. This gives some idea of just how bad things are getting in the UK.

Looks like the last few nails are about to be hammered down on the lid of a once great nation.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Great Britain as you knew it is over.

The "downward spiral" is only just beginning.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This was posted when the article was first published.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The long and short of it is the statistics are cooked; it isn't adjust for legal definitions such as what counts as a violent crime.

Edit - Hmm, now that I look through that thread I see you actually posted in it yourself. Why have you reposted the same thing? The more of your posts I read the more I’m starting to think you’re just rabidly trying to justify a pet hate of the UK.

[edit on 23-8-2009 by Mike_A]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

No justification needed, what has happened to the UK genuinely disturbs me.

I'm touched that should should pick out my alleged anti-UK stance amongst all the Israeli and American hating though, I guess the lone voice is sometimes louder than the mob.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well when someone describes my country as a diseased limb that must be amputated I tend to notice it.

As for the “alleged” part, the kind of sentiment expressed above along with knowingly reposting old, negative (and incorrect) articles does make it less of an allegation and more of a blindingly obvious fact.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

This was brought up when some other heretofore peaceful country was shown to be more violent than thought...I think it was NZ, lived there for 4 yrs, and I know its not utopia.

At any rate, each country itself decides what is violent crime, you can't say the stats are cooked, and point to national definitions differing and throw the stats out.

If a country wants to include hitting someone with an ice cream cone as violent crime, then it adds to the stats.

Everyone shouts about respecting cultural differences, then conveniently throws them out the window when they don't suit the discussion.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Cooked was completely the wrong word, should have been misrepresented but then I was posting at four in the morning.

You can’t say one country is more violent than another when you can’t actually define what violent means. In this case a shoving match in South Africa isn’t even noticed where in the UK it may be counted in the statistics; therefore you can’t say that the UK is more violent because there is no standard definition of the term violent.

It would be absurd, for example, to say that a 5’10” man is bigger than a 6’ man because the first also counts his 5” Mohawk while the other thinks height should be counted to the top of the head and not hair.

Anyway, this has all been done in the original thread. This thread is just an attempt at trolling because the OP couldn’t brow beat everyone into submission in the original.

top topics

join