It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus A Buddhist?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by toasted

LMFAO- does this mean anyone whos been in Australia for 5 minutes is Australian

Sorry

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I believe Jesus was a buddhist. The bible doesn't mention where Jesus was or what he was doing from the time of 12 to 30. And when you compare the Old Testament sayings to the New Testament sayings, Jesus has a level of compassion similar to the Buddha, whereas the Old Testament has a vengeful and angry God. It is apparent that Jesus and Buddha are very identical in terms of their message of peace, good will towards their fellow man, and an all-encompassing compassion for all human beings. And if you think Jesus came first, you would have to seriously analyze the Buddha's take on diet, and how strict they are in their refrain from the killing of all animals. But my favorite coincidence that connects Buddhism with Christianity is the saying of Jesus in Matthew, "The eye is the light of the body, if thy eye be single, thy whole body will be full of light."

This for me rings of meditative analogy, where the eye or third eye is the mental projections, and once made one through meditation and concentration, they become full of light and enlightened.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ancient_wisdom

Jesus said :"I am the way truth and light; no one comes to the Father except through me"

Buddha said: " Be a light unto yourself"

Notice the difference here???

Buddhism teaches to tread a path of contentment, in order not to be devoured by our own egos'.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

What about this verse later in John 14? I notice many Christians just want to pretend it doesn't exist. Why?

Is it because it contradicts the meaning you guys put on to that verse?

John 14

24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Is Jesus not a light unto himself?

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

It's very possible he was a Buddhist as he was very Spiritual!!

I don't know what else to say as it's been said already.....

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Groupies

Reviewing the core teachings attributed (albeit in various and non-matching Koine 1st Century Greek manuscripts from the 3rd and 4th centuries AD !) to R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean Nazir (aka 'Jezzuzz' to the Americans), we see:

l. An Apocalyptic Weltanschauung ('The End is Near, Repent Now' world view) shared by the Qumran sectarians in the midst of a brutal 100 year old ('gentile') Roman Occupation of Palestine - I guess those 12 legions of Angels he prayed for on the hill never showed...oh well...

Traces of Zoroastrianism is certainly buried in there (end of days Judgment etc.) but no Buddhist ever believed in a Great FInal Judgement of the Sinners when the Righteous shall be granted eternal life by the Wicked shall be cast into a Lake of Fire (that is what Zoroaster preached, and R. Yehoshua was influenced by Persian Zoroastrian dualism to a greater or lesser degree to judge from the Greek words placed into his mouth in the 4 canoncial Nicene Council approved 'gospels')

2. A clear Daviddic kingship reinstatement theology ('The Times of the Gentiles are Fulfilled: repent now and believe the Good News of the Kingdom of David'

cf: 'Every Vine that My Father in heaven does not himself plant (i.e. referring to Herod's illicit Levitical Macabbean family marriages) shall be uprooted and thrown into the Fire' i.e. in the Last Days...) this sentiment from a Judaean Daviddic pretender very sore from 500 years of Daviddic exile abroad (whatever DID happen to Zerubabbel anyway? He kind of 'just disappeared' after he led a revolt against the Persians in the 400s...hmmm) Can't see any overlap with Buddhism there.

3. An interest in Preaching to Jews Only (an anti-Gentile sentiments through the core of his teaching)

see Matt chapter 15:20ff etc. 'The Son of Man was sent ONLY to Gather again the Lost Sheep of the Elect of the House of Israel...and anyway, since when is it right to take the bread of the Children out of their mouths and throw it away on the DOGS under the table?) DOGS was a term the Dead Sea Scrolls used to refer to 'ritually unclean gentiles who are idoloters and who lead Israel astray after Vanity (i.e. idols)' see Moqsat Ma'aseh Ha Torah (MMT) etc. Anyway, I cannot see any Buddhism there.

4. A belief in the Resurrection of the Righteous Dead (see Daniel chapter 12) also shared with the Qumran Covenanters who thought the Righteous would 'inherit the Land (of Eretz-Yisro'el) for 1000 years. (cf: Exod 3: 'I am the god of Avraham, Yitzaac and Yakkov...' therefore YHWH is a god of the living and not of the dead, etc.)

5. The Idea that in order to 'enter into the Kingdom of Heaven' one had to: a. Give all your money away to the Ebionim (i.e. the Poor Ones)

b. Obey the Laws of Moses strictly

c. be more strict about observing the Essence of the Torah than the Sofrim of the Synagogues...and that the 'Son of Man' was sent to ADD to the Torah or Mosheh, not uproot it: all this doesn't sound very Buddhist to me.

6. The weird Concept of the Kingly and a Final Judging Son of Man (Aram. 'bar Enasha') the idea taken from Aramaic Daniel 7:13-21 as it pertains to a Future Righteous Daviddic King who 'shall be given a Kingdom that shall have no end to rule over the gentiles (to which is often added 'with a Rod of Iron' from the Psalms...I fail to see anything Buddhist in this weird 'Bar Enasha' hate the Gentiles type Theology.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

That is a rather weird way of mixing the literal and such. Saying what the names are in different languages/time periods changes what?

For example, he doesn't add to the torah, he only fulfills the laws. In doing so, he brings understanding of how to follow the commandments properly, and also separates and shows what are the commandments and what are the laws of men.

Judgment is really no different than Karma. There are some differences, but they are both based on reaping what you sow. If you are a thief and you steal, then you by default can't be a part of a society/kingdom that has no theft. As your very presence as a thief would make the society no longer exist as such.

And "hell" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Now I will agree that alot of that was manipulated by the Romans and paganism can be found throughout the NT. I think Christianity is the "anti-christ" religion. But you are equating that as being what Jesus was about, and I can't agree with that.

You are basically viewing Jesus through the eyes and ways of the RCC and Paul. And again, if we base it on that, then there is much much difference. But I personally don't view it that way.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

That is a great set of points made.

I have said it several times on ATS, but i seriously recommend reading "The Secret Teachings Of All Ages" by Manly Hall (you can get it for free...just google it or go to Scribd.com).

In particular to this thread is Mystic Christianity and The Cross And The Crucifixion.

The problem for me is that Jesus has no books that are observed to be penned by him, and the Gospels all have different nuances that make it seem more like they are loosely translated and compiled from word of mouth.

Add in the shenanigans at Nicea, and you have the makings for a belief system that is utterly unbelievable.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yeshi was no Buddhist, sorry.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I believe if he did exist he may have studied it, but the church doesn't want you to know that.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
and the gospels were written after the fact at least 100 years, or more if you believe that Constitine was the one who had them wrote. Any good investigator would tell you that after 2 years the trail goes cold on what the witnesses saw or witnessed.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The goal of Jesus and all religions is physical immortality. The physical aspect of living forever and the required life change. Seek and you shall be released.
www.people-unlimited-inc.com

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
I think that the teachings of Buddha and the teachings of Jesus have their similarities. But in my perspective they are really quite different.

For instance, Buddha never spoke of the "beyond", he never talked about metaphysics although he definitely had the capacity to do so. Whenever people asked about the "beyond" he avoided the question by making them understand that there were more important immediate issues to deal with.

Jesus on the other hand was always speaking of the beyond, of the heavens, of eternal life. Jesus was way more mystical then Buddha in my opinion.

Also, I see Jesus as being more pro-active then Buddha. What I mean by this is that Buddha was secluded and if someone messed with him he would probably just be silent and ignore it, maybe ask what was his problem.

Now Jesus would stand up and mess with his "opponent" by doing the exact opposite of what the "opponent" expected. He was a constant activist for change, while Buddha was more for peace.

I really think that Jesus way and Buddhas way are different although they are built on the same basics.

Sorry, but your understanding of Buddhism is really flawed. The Lotus Sutra, the Buddha's last teaching, is definitely addressing the "beyond" and metaphysics. The actual setting of the book is in a metaphysical place. As a matter of fact it is so shrouded in metaphysics that its meaning can only really be understood between Buddhas.

Shakyamuni, also know as the historical Buddha or Gautama , lived in solitude BEFORE his enlightenment. Afterwards he constantly traveled for about 40 years to spread his teachings. Where did you get your info from?

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Nichiren]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
Yeshi was no Buddhist, sorry.

Did you talk to him? Please tell ...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

That is a great set of points made.

I have said it several times on ATS, but i seriously recommend reading "The Secret Teachings Of All Ages" by Manly Hall (you can get it for free...just google it or go to Scribd.com).

In particular to this thread is Mystic Christianity and The Cross And The Crucifixion.

I am part way through the book now, and it is an awesome book and have learnt alot about relgion and alot of other things from reading this book, i also quoted it earlier in the thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
I think Jesus was able to understand a little more then the Buddhist knowledge...

I dont think Jesus stopped when he found Nirvana...I think he discovered there is more...always, there is more....but what the Buddha understood has its purpose and has wisdom's and can offer much growth for any soul. It teaches how to detach ones self from the material worlds...which that in itself will teach the soul many many things that are beyond this world and being.

You're in dangerous territory here. You have a limited grasp of Buddhism, but are quick to judge and pit one belief system against another. The historical Buddha never "stopped" after he was enlightened and "found" Nirvana. He also clearly stated that you should be fully immersed in your current life. As a Buddhist you are supposed to fully embrace and learn from your life condition, be it as a princess or beggar.

I just think it's juvenile to say that one belief system is better than the other. While you can certainly have your personal preferences and affinities, you shouldn't confuse that with premature judgement and uneducated statements.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Nichiren]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
reply to post by monkcaw

Yeah and if you kill yourself, you will get many virgins in your next life.
Oh and it is pleasing to "God" if you kill infidels.
Oh and it is ok to sleep with little girls

The Middle Eastern Muslim faith is an example of what happens when people write an unsuccessful religion. The christian faith is what happens when you write a decently acceptable religion...

"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Guess what religious text I've quoted above?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Hi Bad,

What about this verse later in John 14? I notice many Christians just want to pretend it doesn't exist. Why? Is it because it contradicts the meaning you guys put on to that verse? John 14 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. Is Jesus not a light unto himself?

Firstly I never claimed to be a Christian.
Secondly, wouldn't the quote you've given be rationalized by the Holy Trinity concept?
Also saying that "you are the way and the truth"; is not the same as encouraging others to find their own personal method of enlightenment, using the teachings as a guide.

Sprituality aside; if we are to look at the method of exucution of Jesus: Crucifixion; this was reserved by the Romans as punishment for radical and militant offenders.
Maybe its because the translation by the Greeks of the meaning of Messiah was incorrect.
You see, Messiah actually encompassed 2 linages.
1) was the priestly Messiah; of the Levite line.
2) was the Kingly Messiah; of the linage from David (whom Jesus- Yeshua Ben Joseph was a descendant).

This is where it gets interesting: Was Jesus Crucified because he was a Kingly Messiah that presented himself as the priestly messiah also?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by psychederic
I think you are totally wrong - most people don't understand booddhism, nor "christianism".

The fact is there is a lot of strong lessons given by jesus, and they are NOT NIHILIST ! Contrary to "booddha" lessons.

The difference betwwen jesus and buddha, is the difference between a community for freedom, and a TOTALLY individualistic - nihilistic - mind - that deny the LIFE itself !

Jesus view is politic , finally. His position on money , market and a lot other thing cannot be compared with the void position in buddhism ( or other nihilist religions ).

Well , let say also that this is my position, and it is build upon text, that is not what the "religion" ideology try to communicate to their SHEEP.

Instead of your incoherent rambling about the "Buddhist religion", I'd prefer some links to Buddhist texts re the nihilistic aspect of Buddhism. Are you talking about existential nihilism? FYI: Nietzsche was rather fond of saying that the more dangerous nihilism comes from Christians rejecting the material world in favor of a fictional "heaven".

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

have to agree with you Nichiren,

The fact is there is a lot of strong lessons given by jesus, and they are NOT NIHILIST ! Contrary to "booddha" lessons. The difference betwwen jesus and buddha, is the difference between a community for freedom, and a TOTALLY individualistic - nihilistic - mind - that deny the LIFE itself !

Psychaderic: What nonsense is this.
Nihilstic???rejection of all religious principles???
I suppose thats true for you because you are probably thinking that your idea of philosophy is the only correct one?
Anyway there are only certain denominations within Buddhism ( thats how its spelt by the way), that actually hold it as a religion. It is a PHILOSOPHY; Buddha never said he was a GOD; there is a difference.
It is only a religion in somuch as there is hierarchy within its enlightened teachers. They are enlightened; NOT GODS.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join