It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible 35,000+ protestors coming for Pittsburgh G-20 Summit Sept. 24-25 2009

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The city of Pittsburgh is expecting problems and is warning people ahead of time.

There are still many unknowns about Downtown transportation restrictions during The Pittsburgh Summit on Sept. 24-25, but local businesses should prepare, not panic.

"It's like knowing a snow storm is coming, but not knowing if we're going to get five inches or three feet," said Kevin Evanto, spokesman for Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato. "You have several scenarios."

www.pittsburghg20.org...

Demonstrators prepare to protest in city during G-20 summit

Organizers say it's too early to tell how many local and international demonstrators will descend on Pittsburgh for September's G-20 summit, but they agree most protesters will arrive early, angry and stay that way.

Large blocs of demonstrators are prepping to protest here, as they did at the April conference of the globe's 20 largest economies in London, around five major themes — an American and global economy they say is unfair to the poor and working classes worldwide; environmentalism; racism; the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; and a less clearly defined "anti-authoritarian" camp that espouses anarchy.

Estimates about the number of protesters and groups arriving for the G-20 meetings in London vary. Perhaps as many as 35,000 protesters from 160 groups were marching through the city on any given day, according to British government studies and news accounts.

www.pittsburghlive.com...

Google "Pittsburgh G20 protest" and see how many sites are signing up protesters and discussing protesting it.

Here's what happened in the UK at the G20 in April 2009

Should be interesting to see what develops

[edit on 17-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I know what will happen.

They will all be labeled as right wing nuts.

Protesting is just so anti-American.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think this G20 needs to be renamed to::

TAZERFEST 09!!!!!!

Come one come all. Us cops will taze the snot out of ANYTHING MOVING.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I feel that the London protests and all that came after it will be nothing compared to what will happen in Pittsburgh. The police and the protestors will behave a lot worse, it will be a big mess.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a post here going on it also.. about the summit in pgh anyway..

Here is also a vid on that post also..

I will probably be there recording video of things and what not.. I don't know if I wanna get tazed yet so.. we will see how i am going to go about things when those days come around..

Yes tazed tased. z looks better...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Five million protesters wouldn't make a difference. They don't care they have all the money and power. Now if things turned violent and riots started and martial law in the end. I'm all for it, as protesting against these peoples is as futile as cussing the air. The only way to win is to take up arms and fight but this country is not anywhere near ready or prepared.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I don't know.. I think Americans are lazy.. I in half way think nothing will happen.

In the other way I think a lot will happen... cause of everything going down now with obamacare and recession and so on..

So i think its a 50/50 shot at whatever.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The military might use the demonstration to test out new microwave weapons. How do you like your skin? Light, medium, or dark n crispy?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I have no doubts that it will turn nasty, the G series of meets are almost always regarded poorly here in the US. That being said I don't think any level of violence and bloodshed will change things, even 5 million are inconsequential to the grand scheme of things. Honestly if I was living in that area I would be putting in for some time off around the 24th, take a long trip out of town with every scrap of value in the house just to be on the safe side as the protesters tend to go ape.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm not so sure anything equal to previous protests will happen in the US.

Going by previous events, your nation and your public seem extremely placid, even indifferent. You'd think there would have been massive, angry protests after Bush stole office, when the attack on Iraq began, when the Govt. failed to deliver on a proper 9/11 investigation, when the "greatest bank robbery" began...

Even now, while you face massive, unprecedented, incredible debt for years to come, while your soldiers die in a war for oil, while your govt. continues to give your money to already wealthy people with no oversight and no restriction, the most you can manage is a shouting match in a town hall.

It really is remarkable.
And I have to say, to some degree I respect your incredible restraint as a public.
But I'm actually not entirely sure it is restraint. I'm not sure you all know exactly what is going on. I don't know what your media are reporting, but they're clearly telling you one thing and the rest of the world is seeing another.

If I didn't know better, I'd even suggest that your public is drugged into apathy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support violence. But you'd have though at least some of the events to have occurred in your country would have caused at least some incredible opposition, wouldn't you?

For this G20 I fully expect to see lots of people "prevented" from getting to their destination.
I expect to see a couple of thousand people who actually get there holding banners, marching in a street twenty miles from the venue, chanting about everything imaginable.
And I fully expect to see twice as many riot cops as we saw in London.

This will be nothing like what happened in London, a little because the restrictions put in place to prevent this will be big, but mainly because Americans just don't seem that bothered about any of it, until it affects them and their lives directly.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

You are right. Most Americans are asleep and care more about the next American Idol or reality star then what is going on with the government. They simply won't care until it smacks them right between the eyes.

More and more people are waking up but there won't be much protesting at this G-20 summit in Pittsburgh. I doubt it will even make the news.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
So is anyone else going or live in the area?

Found this news report on the upcoming G-20

things look like it's going to get dirty, very dirty

[edit on 21-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

If they do bring out the Active Denial System,then I hope some "Right wing nut job" shows up and puts a .223 sized hole in it.

I still think that weapon is completely ineffective.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Now that you've posted this, let's see if the security is beefed-up enough to rival the RNC a few years back. Things got a bit dirty then.

Guess we'll have to wait and see who's keeping tabs on whom and who they notify.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

like these:

Don't know about you but alot has changed since then. People are much more angry and liable to do wild things.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Traditionally the protesters at these global summits have been union workers, environmentalists, anti-capitalists.

I wonder if conservatives are going to get on the act this time around. If they do it would be interesting how the two ideologically opposed groups handle each other.

Here's some good ol' Battle of Seattle footage for anyone who wants to see what happens to protesters who don't behave and embarrass the powers that be when they have company...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Hey Warren, thanks for the post. I have a good friend who lives
there who I'm trying to convince NOT to go demonstrate. I
would encourage ALL TO STAY CLEAR. WHY? Look at the google
map of the city of pittsburgh. Talk about containment - big rivers
on 2 sides of you.
I don't know why in the world they would hold the summit there.
Where the convention is being held is a sniper's dream. I really feel
like this is going to be a setup for a false flag event. Pitttsburg has
a long history of beating down protesters by the hundreds, you can
count on the same.
To any brave enough to protest - strength to you!! I hope things
stay calm but you'd do well to take every blackhooded kid and
tie 'em up b4 anything starts. My thoughts anyway.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I live in Pittsburgh and plan to take my vacation that week. Most of the city will do the same. Business in the downtown area are closing down and boarding windows. Homeland Security is sending missives to businesses on how to board windows and protect their businesses from vandels. For one week no one in our fair city will be able to go to work, school, and quite possibly use public transportation. I love my city and am dumbfounded that it was picked to host the G20. My own personal opinion is that Obama is punishing us because our government officials openly supported Hilary in the primaries. However, as a Pittsburgh citizen I do have faith that our police will handle the event in an appropriate manner. It's the protesters that scare me. And from what I gather from talking to friends, coworkers, and strangers on the street they feel about the same.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Expect to see troops in the street!

A show of force, blood and death to discourage protests in general.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

IMHO, blood and death will have the exact opposite effect

strange times indeed

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join