It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

news.yahoo.com

Bowing to Republican pressure and an uneasy public, President Barack Obama's administration signaled Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run insurance as part of a new health care system.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives instead of a government-run plan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Such a concession probably would enrage Obama's liberal supporters but could deliver a much-needed victory on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers.

I am still skeptical of the current legislation being considered, but it appears as if Washington is beginning to actually listen to those opposed to the new bills. However, this could merely be pandering on part of the Obama administration to garner support for the bills.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hmmmm....isnt the public option the main point of this whole bill? If they drop that, what will be the big reforms that we will see in health care?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

If they drop that, what will be the big reforms that we will see in health care?

Hopefully, tort reform, and things like making it possible to purchase health insurance across state lines. Things that would actually reduce the cost of health care and not increase taxes.

TA

[edit on 16-8-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Seems like our threads passed each other in cyberspace..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So we're about to get a legislated political mess of a bill that won't help anyone? Good job Republicans, you just raped several million people out of health care. What's also exciting is I found out my health insurance is jacking up my rates 17% next year. God I love this country and it's intelligent citizens.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well this sucks, I was hoping for this bill to drive these thieving bastards out of business. Or perhaps force them to become non-profit entities, if this is true I wonder what "sweeping" changes will be made.

One interesting thing I learned is that not a single republican voted for Social Security and not a single republican voted for Medicare, what do republicans hate America?

[edit on 16-8-2009 by Phlegmi]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
So, instead the government will create a dummy corp. who will offer the insurance and the masses won't appear the wiser.

Obama just said the other day he is 100% convinced that Government run health care will be in operation. It takes alot of confidence to say that and for him to say that and be wrong, well, that would just be disastrous now wouldn't it.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Apologies, jsobecky. Did a search and didn't see it. Please continue the discussion here.

TA

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

No apology necessary, my friend. I don't care which thread it is discussed in; the important thing is that it be exposed and discussed.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

I dont think its about being "republican" because a lot of people i know like the public idea and they are republican!

I think its about as a poster said about "theiving bastads" sorry to use such words but he said it i was just agreeing hehe

Was a good deabte about the in another thread talking about our NHS system over here in the uk that is a single payer system.

ie PUBLIC option

I think the POTUS just got his ass given to him on a plate by a very rich group of men

and we know what happens there dont we.

JFK?

seems like he tried to do his best for you guys

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
reply to post by jsobecky

Apologies, jsobecky. Did a search and didn't see it. Please continue the discussion here.

TA

And thank you for being forthright.

Closing

new topics

top topics

join