It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting anti-RFID site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have recently wondered what the big deal about RFID is. Lots of people seem to be against it, but I couldn't figure out why. So what if Wal-Mart wants to use little chip/tag things to track their supply chain inventory? How does that hurt me?

Well, that specific kind of RFID use does not hurt individuals, but other uses for RFID could:
www.spychips.com...

While I don't necessarily think there is a health concern with widespread RFID use (as is suggested on the site I linked), I am a bit scared that clothing could be fitted with RFID. The implications of that are quite horrific.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Wow, that is crazy as hell. I don't really think it's a good idea though. Seems kinda sinister.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
well the same stories were there with the introducing of the barcodes..

then people were afraid of being stamped with barcodes and everybody could scan you and know everything from you well what happent with the barcodes we are still using them..

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen

then people were afraid of being stamped with barcodes and everybody could scan you and know everything from you well what happent with the barcodes we are still using them..

lol thats an intresting point actually... mayb its just mass hysteria.. or maybe it can be used as some sort of spychip... ...only time will tell eh...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen

That's a good point.

However, bar codes don't transmit information by themselves. RFID tags emit a signal when they detect an RFID reader within a certain radius. RFID tags cannot be covered up or hidden from RFID readers. There are some similarities between RDID and bar codes, but the significant differences are covered on the site I linked. You should read it.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I wrote a 7 page research paper on RFID technology, if anyone wants me to put it up online for a read, let me know. It's pretty concise information and such.

RFID technology is scary stuff...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
I wrote a 7 page research paper on RFID technology, if anyone wants me to put it up online for a read, let me know. It's pretty concise information and such.

RFID technology is scary stuff...

Could you list for us the issues that you deem scary? What specifically makes you think RFID could be a bad idea?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I know there are several other ATS threads dealing with RFID technology, but this is the most recent [I think] & it deals with the spying side of things where this technology is concerned.

Now there seems to be a useful & benign use of the "spying-tracking" area, as in finding lost children, as Japan is using.

news.com.com...

Hope I got the link right!

Nevertheless, the possible future uses of this technology disturbs me. I'd like to hear what others think - am I being paranoid?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow...this is what I've been preaching about. In fact, I even have posts that speak of Gillete's RFID technology, and of the Japanese School Children... -sigh-

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
OK, I'll come right out and say it. I know I'm generally rather paranoid by nature, but this seems to bear me out.

Someone - anyone - please ease my mind. And 23rd_Degree, this is what I reckon is scary stuff about RFID, & I'm no criminal either.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If we were to ease your mind, we would only be helping ignorance grow. This technology is NOW, and is being used NOW, and threaten's your privacy RIGHT NOW.
Sorry, there is no coat of sugar.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm starting to feel in the minority, even on ATS sometimes. There's an ATS thread on mandatory ID chip implants, and the posts in favour of this technology surprised me.

Other threads here on RFID's were pretty much in the same vein. Going to visit the "spylink" mentioned early in this thread to see if there's an action group I can join.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The way I see Technology today is that we will come to a point where surveilance is just assumed at all times and acknowledged that it will happen and we can't do anything about it.

Thats the point I will go to the country to live if it happens in my lifetime

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I acknowledge & respect your defeatism, slugfast, & sadly have to agree with it.

In the UK, there are said to be 1 CCTYV surveillance camera for every three people, & the number of these is predicted to reach 25million units by 2007.
www.futurepundit.com...

Resistance is futile, it seems.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

acknowledge & respect your defeatism, slugfast, & sadly have to agree with it.

I hate to think of it as Defeatism so to speak but as Realism.... it just comes with the territory of technology. As things get smaller, we lose privacy as a result, which is sad. I am a huge privacy advocate, and was horrifyed at the prospect of Camera Phones (which are now being banned in lots of places).

But what can we do? Society as a whole (well the majority) is not interested in defeating these changes, or feels that they make them more safe. Sometimes I just feel as if the Telesync will soon be watching me, instructing me to participate in my "Two Minutes of Hate" and stating those all famous 3 mantras from 1984

XL5

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
For video cameras, a good blast of laser light (not laser pointers) or about 5 camera flash tubes all going off at one time at about a foot away from the lens should do it. A bunch of ppl with hand mirrors all pointed at the lens could work too. A powerful transmitter working on the RFID frequence and introducing noise would disable the chips in the area for as long as the transmitter is on. People in common won't care, just like they don't care that thier new SUV/minivan sucks lots of gas just to transport 4-5 ppl around (avg. cars can hold 4-5ppl).

new topics

top topics

join