It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you afraid of dying???

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

When I was young (Around six or seven?) I used to have a terrifying fear of my own demise.

I couldn't fathom not existing.

I tried to imagine nothing- I tried to imagine what it would be like to cease to exist, no thoughts, no feelings- No colours, no darkness.

To just, cease to be.

Often times I would lose my breath- And struggle to think of something else.

But now that I'm older and wiser, I figure when I'm dead- I won't really care.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Originally posted by smirkley
"Are you afraid of dying"...

Thats like being afraid of stubbing your toe.

Useless waste of emotion inmo.

I am afraid while living,...dying is a given.

Jesus! I hate seeing this on this thread.

But it is not a waste of emotion!

If your not afraid of dying, then cross the street blindly. Jump off a cliff. Eat that spooky looking cheese.

I live for life.

I experience things regardless of the potentials, I am an adrenaline junkie, and if I was afraid of dying and used that as a guide, then I would just hide in a safe and dark closet.

No, that aint me.

I go out and live. Experience, and Do.

I am afraid I wont live long enough to do everything I want.

Especially those things that make my heart pump and my mind think.

But dying, just happens on its own, and I dont think anyone can do anything about it. Except maybe experience as much life as possible.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I am also not afraid of "dying". I think what I am concerned about like many others is, How? I do not want to suffer or be in extreme pain.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Dying doesn't bother me. Neither does the prospect of nothing after I die. I'll be dead, so why would I care? My legacy will have been short lived in a universe billions of years young. I am but a mere spec in this galaxy anyways.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have always held the thought that life was too precious just to have one shot at it, I tend to believe that once you clock out from this world you go back into the mixing bowl just waiting your turn to be born again.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Living on the edge and confronting death on a regular basis has got to be the best conditioning for coming to terms of the finality of death.... Experiences like waking up in a ditch with a mouth full of broken teeth and blood, your motorcycle laying on its side all twisted and bent, is a very exhillerating experience..... Being on a hilltop out numbered 5 to 1 by enemy troops and being able to crack jokes about the hopelessness of your situation is priceless.... Once you reach an age that slows you down and compounds the aches and pains from a life of pushing the limitatations of your physical existence, death becomes a welcomed event...... Only a fool wants to live forever.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Been there with the motorcycle crash also!

I have to say that the most surreal moment is that 1/10th of a second before impact and you know that you will most likely die! Time does literally slow down and you contemplate your options for a brief moment and then realize it is hopeless.

When you awaken, it is a nice surprise!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by hypervigilant

Been there with the motorcycle crash also!

I have to say that the most surreal moment is that 1/10th of a second before impact and you know that you will most likely die! Time does literally slow down and you contemplate your options for a brief moment and then realize it is hopeless.

When you awaken, it is a nice surprise!
Waking up like that used to be a habit of mine but my doctors said I had better stop that and other things that I did for kicks or face paralyses..... It's like being born again every time you have kissed your ass goodbye, knowing that there is no way out and yet you are still around for another go round..... I guess that cheating death many times and resigning yourself to the inevitable creates an existentialistic outlook about life and death..... In Vietnam a commonly used phrase was, "It don't mean nothing".

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I know most of you aren't afraid of death, but I just cannot comprehend what death would be like. I can just think of blackness. Not even blackness, just nothing. To me thats way harder to comprehend then life after death.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not afraid of dying, it happens to us all eventually. Either there's another adventure after this one or there's nothing, and if there's nothing, I'll never know any different.

But when I go, I want to take one of the really, really bad guys with me, just for fun. Would seem such a waste not to.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Are you afraid of dying???

Why should we be?

I like what the great Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov had to say about it:

"Life is a great surprise. I do not see why death should not be an even greater one."

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I read on another website about somone who was afraid of dying and being afraid that nothing existed after this life? What are your veiws on death, and what are things you do to feel comfortable of not worrying about dying?

Autowrench:
The fear of dying is the worst fear of mankind, so....beat that one fear, and the rest fall by the wayside. Death is like changing the frequency of a radio receiver. It is a dimensional change in such a way that some are not even aware they are dead. I am not afraid of dying, in fact, I look forward to it. To me it will be a reward for all of my deeds in this life, and will be a much needed rest and relaxation period. During the cycle, a person will remain in the 4th dimension/land of the dead for about 100 years before recycling into the 3rd. dimension again. I have done this thousands of times, and some of you have too. this time some of us are breaking out. You know who you are.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You guys crack me up with your poetic responses, there's a lot of brave people on this forum

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It is interesting that most of you have no fear of dying. How many of you really have done this. To me, it seems easy to pretend to know how one will act in the face of death, but I believe reality would show a different side of your personality.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

There are two problems with being afraid of dying, although the fear is quite common.

The first is with fear itself. Fear is a survival mechanism and although you need fear to survive, fear of the inevitable is by definition pointless. Let it go and focus on living instead.

The second is that death is part of life's ability to adapt the living bodies that carry it through a constantly changing environment. This is called evolution. If not for death, there would be no new body designs and life would be unable to adapt.

Essentially the following statement is of fundamental importance: If not for the death of individuals, life itself could not exist.

So, live your life, do your part and accept the death of your body.

The real question is what happens after death - well, your life came from other life - your parents gave you the spark and the food you ate nurtured it. When you die, the source of the life that you were a part of does not.

Your physical separation from other bodies is a requirement for the existance of life itself but it is only a physical separation - all life is connected.

This means that you loose your identity (identity stemming from physical your separation) when you die but your life, being part of life itself does not dissapear.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I know most of you aren't afraid of death, but I just cannot comprehend what death would be like. I can just think of blackness. Not even blackness, just nothing. To me thats way harder to comprehend then life after death.

"Blackness", is a living sense, it isn't percieved after death.

At least not like you experience it now.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
im not afraid of dying, im a good person and i believe in the soul and there def is something after this. I believe that when you are dying you should never try to cling to this life, you need to let go peacefully and accept it to transcend to the next level.

My fear lies in a young death, i love life and want to grow old here! i fear i would miss my family and it would be quite scary, but when its your time its your time, and if i end up not being meant long for this life then its something i will have to accept, hoping thats not the case tho!

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
It is interesting that most of you have no fear of dying. How many of you really have done this. To me, it seems easy to pretend to know how one will act in the face of death, but I believe reality would show a different side of your personality.

Autowrench:
Just a short time ago, I spoke of this in another thread...I was sitting on my sofa, watching TV, and suddenly everything went silent, and that which is my spirit came out of my human body and stood up, then sat down again into my body, then did this again two more times. I would call this the "face of death," what else could you call it? I will relate a story to you that really happened tome. In 1971 I had a 1962 Pontiac Bonneville like this one...

with a 389 tri-power engine under the hood. This car was nothing but fast, and I even named her "Runnin' Bare."
The Bonneville got wrecked a little while parked, and my step Dad took it to a friend who owed a favor to get it fixed. When the body shop called to say the car was done, I had been drinking beer with my friend most of the day. He owned a 1967 Mustang with a 390/300hp 4spd. and was always trying to get me to race with his car. So, we got a 6 pack, and set off to the body shop, some 40 miles away. When we were on the road a bet was made....whoever got back to town last would buy all the beer for the night's party. so, we took off. I passed him as soon as we cleared the city, and held it down for awhile to build up a lead. There was a bad "S" curve about half way home, and when I came into that curve, it just began to rain, a mist really, that brought the oil up from the tarmac. The Bonneville went into a slide and left the road, and in a few seconds smashed into a large oak tree almost head on. this seemed to take a long time, that tree came up in slow motion, I can still see it today, it is burned into my mind. Just before it hit, I dove into the passenger side floor, and as the car hit, the dash and wind shield came down on me, and the engine was pushed back, I saw the steering column rip the driver's bucket seat out by the bolts and push it into the back seat. The sound was terrific, very loud, and as I lay there in the floorboard, the blood was slowly filling up the floor and rising on my face. I was trying to remember how much blood the human body held, and how much had to leak out before death. I resigned myself to death, knowing that I was way off the road, in a rainstorm, and rescue was against the odds. Just then a State Trooper touched my arm, and let me know that help was on the way. The emergency people cut me out with a torch, the "Jaws of Life" didn't yet exist. So, yes, I have seen the face of death in this life, and I was not afraid, only a little curious.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
These keyboard warriors that are not afraid of death are uhmm well you're not talking to them you're arguing with their portrayal of themselves.
My point is don't bother they're not really Dcuohebgas they're probably just trying to convince themselves more so than you.

On to the question. Yes I am afraid of dying. Just like every other entity on this planet I too am instilled with a natural fear of death. This is called self preservation and allows for me to go on being conscious. Because all the information available points toward death being the end of (that individual unit's) consciousness.
Am I afraid of death being the end of me? No. But I am like any properly functioning entity very much afraid of death.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Zealott]

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Zealott]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Toughiv

Well that's your believe. I have realised through experience about karma. It takes sometimes years before it hits you badly, if you have done bad to others. If you have done some good to others and almost no bad. Only you who knows. Karma is another word for "what you sow you will reap"

[edit on 15-8-2009 by ExperiencedGhost]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join