It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama spreads disinfo at town hall meeting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I watched the town meeting in Portmouth, NH. I watched in amazement as Obama stood up there and made statements that were not only misleading, but outright lies. And instead of being challenged on them, the obviously stacked (hand-picked, admission by invitation only) cheered and applauded his deceptions.

Deception Number 1: The AARP endorses his health care plan.

Fact: The AARP has made no decision on this bill as of yet.

Obama repeated this lie several times during the meeting.

…the President may have overstated support for his plan in one instance. When asked about the potential impact of the reform plan on Medicare, the President said, “The AARP would not be endorsing a bill if it was undermining Medicare.” Problem is - the AARP has not yet endorsed the plan. The New Hampshire head of the AARP chapter here told ABC’s Lisa Chinn today that the AARP hasn’t yet made up its mind as an organization whether to endorse the bill.

michellemalkin.com...

Deception Number 2: Obama stated that he does not support a single payer system.

Fact: He has been videoed several times, where he supports a single payer system

He continues to spread this lie around his tour of town hall meetings.

Here he is caught red-handed in his lie:

The fact that he went unchallenged during the meeting shows that either the crowd was grossly mis-informed, or the audience was stacked with Obama plants. I vote for the latter.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Argh, come on j ...

First of all you know there's no official/compromise bill to endorse or reject yet.

Still ...

www.aarp.org...

They even have their own petition:

www.healthactionnow.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Argh, come on j ...

First of all you know there's no official/compromise bill to endorse or reject yet.

Even you must be aware that there is a House bill that is being touted as the model?

And you totally gloss over the fact that he mislead people into believing that the AARP endorsed his vision of health care.

And what about the single payer lie? Does that lessen the tingle for you at all?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Even you must be aware that there is a House bill that is being touted as the model?

True, but the AARP, which as I understand it is the topic of the thread, will not officially endorse anything until there is an actually bill before the floor. As any interest group they are still lobbying to get their hands on as much cash as possible for their constituents.

And you totally gloss over the fact that he mislead people into believing that the AARP endorsed his vision of health care.

Not glossing at all, in fact the links I provided not only show that they want healthcare reform, are actively participating in the creation of bills, and are championing it. Heck, so far as I can tell, other than big pharma and the insurance industry, they are the greatest proponents.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Championing health care reform does not equate to endorsing Obama's vision.

And the AARP is not the topic of the thread. Obama's lies are. Like the one about his position on single payer system, which you ignore for the third time.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Change we can believe in? How can I believe anything this man says? He "changes" his position every time he turns his head.

There are many flip-flops performed by him on the subject of health care, and content meaning of this bill.

Previously he said, concerning surgery, that maybe Grandma should consider NOT having the operation she needs, but rather just take the pain medication.
Which, to my ignorant ears, says her life may not be worth extending.
At this Town Hall, he tries to quell talk of "a death panel" in the house bill...

Which is it Mr. president? (intended typo)

No, I do not believe a word...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I beg to differ with you. Last night an aarp spokeman was on The Rachel Maddow show and he did in fact endorse the Obama plan and slammed the insurance companies for organizing the so called "astroturf" movement. He also said the media is catching on to this effort by the insurance companies to protect their profit.

On your second point, Obama did in the beginning talk about a 1 payer system but he recanted on that a long time ago.

Actually I believe it is you who are spreading disinformation, try to keep up with the facts.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Last night an aarp spokeman was on The Rachel Maddow show and he did in fact endorse the Obama plan and slammed the insurance companies for organizing the so called "astroturf" movement.

Then perhaps he should have told the rest of AARP about their endorsement.

Obama Claim of AARP Endorsement 'Inaccurate'

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The reason the AARP is not endorsing is because the elderly will not see anything with this health care bill, they will still be covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Still they been some protest about the end of life care that is what they are protesting.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Actually,

AARP Chief Operating Officer Tom Nelson issued this statement following remarks by the President at a townhall event in New Hampshire on health care reform.

“AARP has been working with Democrats and Republicans to fix our broken health care system.

“While the President was correct that AARP will not endorse a health care reform bill that would reduce Medicare benefits, indications that we have endorsed any of the major health care reform bills currently under consideration in Congress are inaccurate.

Source: www.aarp.org...

To the OP: What I'm really getting sick of is the continuous use of the phrase "He just misspoke". Any time Gibbs is confronted with one of these outlandish lies, in a press briefing, he throws out the "misspoke" and proceeds to try to convince us that we didn't hear what we know heard.

Just once I'd like see one of the journalists walk up to the podium and punch Gibbs in the snout. He/she could get away with it just by saying "I didn't really punch you. That was just a pat on the back"! Now, I would buy a ticket to that show!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

To the OP: What I'm really getting sick of is the continuous use of the phrase "He just misspoke". Any time Gibbs is confronted with one of these outlandish lies, in a press briefing, he throws out the "misspoke" and proceeds to try to convince us that we didn't hear what we know heard.

Imagine listening to Gibbs if Joe Biden were prez...

new topics

top topics

join