It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare = payback for slavery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Higher Rates of Disease
Racial and ethnic minorities have high rates of debilitating disease such as obesity, cancer, diabetes, and AIDS. One of the most glaring disparities is apparent in the African American community, where 48% of adults suffer from a chronic disease compared to 39% of the general population.2

Obesity
Obesity is debilitating and is often a catalyst to chronic disease. Seven out of 10 African Americans ages 18 to 64 are obese or overweight, and African Americans are 15% more likely to suffer from obesity than Whites. 3

Cancer
African Americans are more likely to develop and die from cancer than any other racial or ethnic group.4

African American men are 50% more likely than Whites to have prostate cancer and are more likely than any other racial group to suffer from colorectal cancer.5 Hispanic6 and Vietnamese7 women have disproportionate rates of cervical cancer, which they contract at twice the rate of White women.

Diabetes
Fifteen percent of African Americans, 14% of Hispanics, and 18% of American Indians suffer from adult onset diabetes. American Indians suffer from diabetes at more than twice the rate of the White population, which develops the disease at a rate of only 8%.8

HIV/AIDS
HIV bears witness to the most extreme disparity in chronic disease. African Americans experience new HIV infections at seven times the rate of whites, and Hispanics experience new HIV infections at two and a half times the rate of whites.9

healthreform.gov...

Please read this carefully, it shows why Obama is so "on healthcare" no matter what. It is his payback for americas past with salvery. The tone of this article itself is racist.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Don't worry about banning me SkepticOverlord. I am going to close this account, never to return. An explanation of what I did would have helped. Enjoy your board and good luck. Alas, Sayonara.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

tamusan, I question however how the facts are posted, without possible causes. They give out facts without mentioning probable causes. As if PROVIDING every single minority insurance will solve the problem. And AS IF GIVING EVERYONE FREE health care will equalize everything. We are talking about genetics, preventative health maintenance (exercise), eating habits, income level...etc. These are factors which contribute to the differences in health between minorities and other groups. The LACK of insurance does not cause higher proportion of people to have these illnesses. It is rather deceptive to have all of these statistics, without mentioning probable causes.

Look at the HEALTH SYSTEM IN THE UK for example they still have differences in the number of mortality rates among minorities as opposed to the majority.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Gateway]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
When questioned in a radio interview his position on reparation, he stated that he believed that they did not go far enough and that a redistribution of wealth would be necessary to fully compensate the African American community for what they went through...

blog.acton.org...

hehehe

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

without possible causes. They give out facts without mentioning probable causes.

There are more than one cause for most of the illnesses.

Let's take HIV, for instance. Was it IV drugs, unprotected sex, or a blood transfusion?

How about Diabetes? Was it High blood pressure, High blood triglyceride (fat) levels, Gestational diabetes or giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds, High-fat diet, High alcohol intake, Sedentary lifestyle, Obesity or being overweight, Ethnicity. Even my 2 youngest children, Caucasian/Japanese, are at higher risk for diabetes because of ethnicity.

Education and prevention goes a long way towards keeping people healthy and saving money. Let's take an uninsired African-American man that has diabetes II. He never goes to the doctor until he is losing vision or has kidney failure. Suddenly that man costs the system even more than he would have if he was taught to manage his illness.

We are talking about genetics, preventative health maintenance (exercise), eating habits, income level...etc.

Part of having health insurance is recieving preventative care, learning healthy eating habits, and learning about exercise. Income has nothing to do with anything other than finding health care in the current system. My great-grandfather was dirt poor, but had excellent health care, and lived well into his 80s.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with slavery. It has to do with the fact that people without access to health care may often be sicker than those who do have access.

It's not "payback" for slavery. It's making sure everyone has access to necessary medical care. This is how it works in civilized countries. Their citizens all have access to medical care. The quality of their medical treatment is better than ours, yet they spend less per person on medical care.

We spend more per capita on medical care, yet our quality of medical care comes right after Cuba's (as measured by infant mortality rates, anyway). Why is that? It's because our present medical system is completely *broken*.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

tamusan, this is about yourself and personal responsibility. If you find out you are sick are you not going to make choices in how you live your life in a responsible way? Aids is preventable, what 4yr old doesn't know that shooting up or taking on risky behavior may cause him to catch the disease. Diabetes is something genetic, INSURANCE can not prevent it, the same with cancer or other diseases. The government run website spewing data, does not provide the possible sources for the higher illnesses between minority and other groups. RATHER IT PROPOSES, OR INSINUATES, OR TRIES TO LEAD ONE TO CONCLUDE THAT A GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTH CARE WILL FIX THESE INEQUALITIES. When clearly these illnesses or disease are caused by the things I mentioned in my previous statement.

Preventive care is something that can be done without extrapolating tax dollars into A government run HEALTH CARE system. Education, is something people must do for themselves, after all it is THEIR lives. Since your body belongs to you and not the STATE then is it not YOUR responsibility to seek information on how to take care of it?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Also, I forgot to mention: Income is also an important factor. If you are poor will you really be able to afford to buy healthier food, or buy a gym membership?

Which LEADS to my conclusion. If income is a factor...WILL obama try to EQUALIZE everyone's income to reduce the differences in health between the different GROUPS?

Yes, I'm making a leap here...but definitely worth thinking about....

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

I am genetically predisposed to a multitude of diseases, which I do not have, because a doctor educated me about how to take care of myself. I was not born with the knowledge about how to take care of myself, and would not have known, had I not seen a doctor. I only see a doctor because I have health care. It is well known to anyone with a slight clue about medicine that a little prevention and education goes a long way.

I don't support national health care for a number of reasons. The main one is that I do not trust the governement to run a lemonade stand, much less healthcare. Just look at medicare and the VA Hospital (which I go to and will rant about in another thread if someone starts it).

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I do think Obama has an element of "black power" and anti-white racism, but the only reason I oppose the universal healthcare is because we just don't have the money anymore (and the euthanasia part).

5 years ago, even in 2006, i would have thought it was an awesome idea.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
If this isn't racism, than what is. Not just toward "Whites", as stated, but to African Americans and Hispamics. Why single out the whites, why can't we be European Americans. I'm getting sick of this type of crap. Everythings got to be so "politicaly correct" but its not.
This is total b.s. This just shows how arogant they are. Man, feel bad for the sick, that don't have jobs or insurance. Yeh its ok, the whites have everthing. WE'll take there jobs and insurance and give it to those they don't support themselves, nor statistically keep them selves alive. Please just leave us all alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I agree as well. We all do not know about what we are predisposed to. But education starts at the basic level. By information shared within our families. For example: True you did not know that you are predisposed to developing diabetes for example, but definitely someone in your family may have told you, you could develop it, hence YOU took the initiative of getting yourself educated about what sorts of food to stay away from or what types of medicine you should be taking to take care of yourself and extend your life. Thus education is something YOU took personal initiative in.

Again, personal initiative is EVERYONE'S responsibility since it is YOUR LIFE, not the GOVERNMENTS. In fact most education is already done through private contributions, the INFORMATION exists OUT THERE for anyone WHO wants to seek it.

But information and government run health care system are two different things.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is a giant puzzle with many small pieces. Let's look at yet another.

I pay for health insurance and I see a doctor on a regular basis. Now let's take an uninsured person, and imagine that they get sick from their untreated diabetes and go to the ER for treatment. If they skip out on the bill, then some of that cost eventually trickles down to me through higher costs at the hospital, which translates into higher premiums for me.

Just understand one thing. I am posing these arguments for a reason. Everyone is running around repeating things that are untrue or make no sense. That's why they are calling us right wing nuts, which is funny because I am the poster child of anti-Bush. If we want to make a difference, we need to get our facts together, and by facts I mean real facts. We all need to be on the same page. It'll make it more difficult for them to dismiss us.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
This is a giant puzzle with many small pieces. Let's look at yet another.

I pay for health insurance and I see a doctor on a regular basis. Now let's take an uninsured person, and imagine that they get sick from their untreated diabetes and go to the ER for treatment. If they skip out on the bill, then some of that cost eventually trickles down to me through higher costs at the hospital, which translates into higher premiums for me.

Actually, this is incorrect. If someone skips out on paying the hospital, then the hospital is stuck holding the bag, not your insurance company. Your insurance companies premium's may go up IF they are FORCED TO ACCEPT PEOPLE WITH PREDISPOSED medical conditions. They will need to raise prices to cover the costs of those that they ARE forced to accept. There is catastrophic insurance which is relatively affordable. It covers serious illnesses or emergency medical surgeries. I think these types of insurance might be at least a partial solution to the poor, who cannot afford insurance. Also, there are county hospitals, which try to work with the poor on pay plans for medical procedures. Granted these are not perfect, but I would far more trust the judgment of local county administrators than some FED bureaucrat in D.C. deciding on the ENTIRE nation's HEALTH SYSTEM.

Just understand one thing. I am posing these arguments for a reason. Everyone is running around repeating things that are untrue or make no sense. That's why they are calling us right wing nuts, which is funny because I am the poster child of anti-Bush.
Me too...I can't stand Republicans or Bush lovers either. But this administration is Bush on steroids, he's trying to pass legislation and has already done so that has expanded government and government spending into the stratosphere.

If we want to make a difference, we need to get our facts together, and by facts I mean real facts. We all need to be on the same page. It'll make it more difficult for them to dismiss us.
I agree. I think the problem stems from a fundamental differences in entrenched philosophy though. Sadly, I honestly don't think the left is willing to understand, individual rights, freedom, and freemarkets.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by Gateway]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

my 2cents, I think this is a distraction issue.

Why play a race card. Who cares about that crap.
I think people are more interested in jobs, a working government and a war free healthy planet. Those are issues we need to focus on achieving.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wow.

Umms...yeah I dunno just wow.

How people could put that together, it really makes me sad that people actually think about these issues and look to push this kind of rhetoric.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

You said:

If someone skips out on paying the hospital, then the hospital is stuck holding the bag, not your insurance company.

In response to me stating:

If they skip out on the bill, then some of that cost eventually trickles down to me through higher costs at the hospital, which translates into higher premiums for me.

If the hospitals eat the cost, they raise their prices to recoup that loss, and insurance will companies adjust accordingly.

Sadly, I honestly don't think the left is willing to understand, individual rights, freedom, and freemarkets.

Very true. I fear the direction this country is taking much more than I ever did under Bush. SkepticOverlord started a thread, today. I gave it a read through, and I was very impressed. I think it summed up what is wrong with this country.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

If the hospitals eat the cost, they raise their prices to recoup that loss, and insurance will companies adjust accordingly.

Well...to a certain degree, depending on the demand. If tons of people skip out on not paying a Hospital, then they may be forced to raise prices to cover their costs, but this depends on the procedure and the amount of people skipping out. The major problem though is that there is TOO much demand, on the health care system currently. Government is currently TOO involved, and has therefore increase demand for medical services. Unfortunately lots of people are having every sort of medical treatment or exam that may not be necessary performed on them...this sends the price for these procedures up.

Anyway, it's too bad people are not willing to listen to reason, or the empirical evidence that exists of what a government health care system will only make things worse and collapses our economy with more debt and expenses.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

It was nice having this conversation with you. I was just warned twice for my participation in this thread. It said I am a political troll. I'm outta here once I figure out how to close this account.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I don't blame you. I haven't been to this site in a long time. Sometimes I need a break from this place. People here are overly sensitive. Although this is a private BB, sometimes I get the impression that GOVERNMENT bureaucrats are running this place, too worried about someone's feelings being hurt. And quick to stop debate.

Take it easy...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join