It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nintendo Revolution

page: 1

join
share:
xn

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Nintendo said this regarding their future console: "Nintendo�s next home console will not be a computer that will play through a television set and be controlled by joypads. It will be something else � something more." Sounds like VR to me. What does everyone think?

xn

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Nintendo's President, Satoru Iwata finally made his appearance, and began talking about how the DS was "different" than anything else on the market today. He explained that with how consoles are now, what systems can do with graphics now have pretty much reached their limit. Unless someone does something different, there won't be any hope for growth in the industry. This is when he touched upon Nintendo's next console. It's in development as we speak, claims Iwata. Much like the Nintendo DS, he promises that the new home console will also be "different;" so much so, that Nintendo is promising a "gaming revolution" whenever the system is finally launched. Iwata then asked if the audience wanted to know the technical specifications of the thing, but he stopped himself, stating that, since all hardware is insanely powerful as it is, the specs don't matter. "The time for horsepower is over," the president said.

Sure sounds like VR...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Unless Nintendo can pull comething incredible out of their asses i feel they're going down the same path as SEGA... Microsoft with their computer and software might, and Sony with their strengths in the electronics industry, are dominating the market. Luckily Nintendo still hold the market for the youth...

Hopefully Nintendo bring some sort of 3D screen gaming system out... now that would be cool... VR sounds great too... whatever it is, it had better have some good shoot 'em ups...

dz

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
this is a great thing for vr.

i think anyone will agree that games are one of the main reasons computers are pushed as far as they are today. if you really think about it, there is nothing else out on the market that constantly requires more and more power. computer games have constantly pushed the need for power, as hopefully this new nintendo console will push the field in vr.

hopefully they can make a handheld version of this that requires more battery power, that way we can push that area. i read a study the other week talking about how far behind the technology in batteries is from the rest of the world. when everything else was pushing forward, batteries slacked behind. they were talking about how if you were to relate batteries to current technologies as far as advancements, batteries would be equal to products produced back in 1992.

i'll see if i can pull up a link for you guys eventually. i'm on my laptop right now in my living room, and the link is on my desktop upstairs.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ive been waiting for a true VR system since lawnmover man....I loved them PS8 commercials...I want a chip in my head to play games and forget the world...lol

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My guess is that it's gonna be either a VR system or possibly using a holographic projection to produce a 3D image. Either way, it could have a huge impact on gaming.

From there desription VR sounds more likely because of the statement about not having any conventional controllers, which makes me wonder even more. All I can think of is that it will be similar to experimental systems the air force is working on for pilots to controll a plane without conventional control surfaces.

My Idea: It will be a helmet that will use eye sensors to control direction, and sensors in the helmet to detect brain waves and a mic for voice commands. The helmet will have an infrared link to a console playing the game. The console can have a hard drive (like TiVo), and a wireless internet connection. Buying games at a store would be a thing of the past. One could download a purchase or rental version of the game (for a fee) and have it saved on their hard drive. Then they just turn on the system and say the title of the game they want. Online multiplayer would allow people to go against each other, you could engage people in a virtual shootout, or anything you wanted to do in the virtual realm. Similar to the Nokia N-Gage, you could download someone else's performance in a game and try to beat them.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Take a look at this patent here

Patent

In a game system in which two game spaces are separately displayed on first display means and second display means, first display control means which causes a first game space to be displayed on the first display means; and second display control means which causes a second game space which is different from the first game space to be displayed on the second display means are provided. Based on a virtual positional relationship between the first game space and the second game space, the second display control means causes a related image of an object located in the first game space to be displayed on the second display means.

[Edited on 11-6-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
If it's not virtual reality, I at least hope their gamepads will be less crappy than the one of the GameCube.

posted on Jun, 11 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well if it's going to be VR, it's about time... I wonder what they'll stiff the consumer for if this is this the case....

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord_Doom
Well if it's going to be VR, it's about time... I wonder what they'll stiff the consumer for if this is this the case....

With todays processors and 3d graphic cards anythings possible. I mean you can't begin to compare PS1 with PS2. We've come a long way as far as electronics is concerned.

I saw this in a history museum.

This is a classic. I remember the times when bird race, lode runner and shuffle puck were popular games. This was only ten years ago, makes you wonder doesn't it.

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It sounds like Nintendo knows they've been beaten in the console market by Sony & Microsoft, and are trying to change their market focus to stay in the console-making business. VR? We're not really anywhere near the technology of VR that everyone hopes for... I sure hope that Nintendo makes a GameCube 2, that's completely backward compatible! Where else am I going to get my Zelda, Metroid, and F-Zero fix!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sounds expensive. Hell they already are expensive. $250 for the system...$30 for one controller and $50 for each and every game. Hopefully Nnintendo keeps it within range considering they have been cheaper than Sony and Microsoft.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Why are the Nintendo execs so obsessed with having their own consoles, anyway? Like Sega learned, when you leave the console making to someone else, you can turn a marginal company into a very profitable one.
I'd love nothing more than to have all my Nintendo, Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Sega, and EA Sports games on a single console (the PS3). Imagine what that would do for the video game industry!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
gewgle: Nintendo Nexus, let me know what you find

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
gewgle: Nintendo Nexus, let me know what you find

Hmmm... Well, I found lots of websites and message boards that featured the same picture of the next generation "Nintendo Nexus" over and over... but they were all pretty much unanimous in saying it was fake.
Too bad too... that thing looked sweet!

Nintendo Generations
----------------------------
0. card games & board games
1. NES, Game Boy
2. Super NES
3. Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color
Virtual Boy (failed)
4. GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy DS
5. ???

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Why don't they all just make one extreme console and manufacture their own games, whilst licensing their own 2nd and 3rd party developers. There's only so much money out there, the average person has one console, with exceptions of those rich/serious gamers with all 3. If you just sell your console at the price of 250 dollars or pounds or whatver you feel like, then each of the comapnies can provide their own features, nintendo can provide gameboy linkage, microsfot can give us internet capabilities and sony can make the controller or something.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
If it's not virtual reality, I at least hope their gamepads will be less crappy than the one of the GameCube.

BLASPHEMY the game cube controller is an extension of the human body!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Who cares? It will be some underwhelming piece of crap with the same 3 games (Mario bros., Zelda, Mario Cart) as every other Nintendo system. Nintendo is going the way of Coleco. Don't waste you money on a Nintendo system, even a new one. It would be better spent on one of those paddle ball things.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Take a look at this patent here

Patent

I took a look at this patent and was reading through when I came across "Images"... what I found was EXTREMELY interesting...

aiw2.uspto.gov...
NOTE: To view the above image, make SURE you have a .TIFF file plugin. I had to get one for Firefox. If you need the link, gimme a U2U.

Seems to be either a holographic or VR type of device. WHATEVER it's gonna be... certainly looks different.

GO NINTENDO! (I'm a Nintendo fan!
)

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 12-7-04 by prophetmike]

new topics

top topics

join