It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many Freemasons...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
can actually do masonry work?

Freemasons became a 'fraternity' open to the public when it could no longer be a secret society, so now it is just a society with secrets.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I really thought this thread was going to say...

"....does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" That would have been funny atleast.

I'm not sure where you were going with this... cannot compute... more data required for discussion...

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by daysofnoe

We are speculative Freemasons, not operative. Plus, Freemasonry became public in 1717, if you want to go by the date of the Grand Lodge of England founding. So before that the Freemasons were a secret societies? I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.

Originally posted by eMachine
"....does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" That would have been funny atleast.

That's where I thought it was going.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by KSigMason]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It is believed by most historians of the Fraternity that at some point operative Masons began "accepting" members who were not working Masons. Most likely, this started by accepting people who would be useful to the Masons -- like powerful patrons, doctors who could provide healthcare to the members etc. Eventually, there were so many 'gentlemen accepted Masons' that in some places they out numbered the working Masons. As things developed the Accepted Freemasons began to start their own Lodge and expand the ritual of the operatives in order to create a society more concerned with philosophy and self-improvement than building.

How many Masons does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer 1) Change!? We will never change the light bulb in this Lodge!

Answer 2) None. The light bulb must change of its own freewill and accord.

Answer 3) At least seven. A Worshipful Master to appoint a committee of three members to examine the light bulb situation at report back at the next regular communication. Thee Past Masters to meet privately with the Worshipful Master to explain that's not how it has been done in the past. One Secretary to buy a new bulb out of his own money and install it whilst praying no one notices.

Answer 4) Light bulbs are a recent innovation in the Craft and the Grand Lodge committee examining their use hasn't issued its report yet.

Answer 5) It takes an entire Lodge to provide light.

There. I'm done with the Freemasons and light bulb jokes.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by driley
It is believed by most historians of the Fraternity that at some point operative Masons began "accepting" members who were not working Masons. Most likely, this started by accepting people who would be useful to the Masons -- like powerful patrons, doctors who could provide healthcare to the members etc. Eventually, there were so many 'gentlemen accepted Masons' that in some places they out numbered the working Masons. As things developed the Accepted Freemasons began to start their own Lodge and expand the ritual of the operatives in order to create a society more concerned with philosophy and self-improvement than building.

How many Masons does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer 1) Change!? We will never change the light bulb in this Lodge!

Answer 2) None. The light bulb must change of its own freewill and accord.

Answer 3) At least seven. A Worshipful Master to appoint a committee of three members to examine the light bulb situation at report back at the next regular communication. Thee Past Masters to meet privately with the Worshipful Master to explain that's not how it has been done in the past. One Secretary to buy a new bulb out of his own money and install it whilst praying no one notices.

Answer 4) Light bulbs are a recent innovation in the Craft and the Grand Lodge committee examining their use hasn't issued its report yet.

Answer 5) It takes an entire Lodge to provide light.

There. I'm done with the Freemasons and light bulb jokes.

lol funny post. I like number 2 and 3
. And good info in the first paragraph

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by daysofnoe
can actually do masonry work?

I built a brick firepit in my backyard. I think it came out pretty good considering I never did something like that before. Moloch thought so as well.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It’s a fair question, I would say very little

Masonry as an art is almost lost, when I see modern masons today its all drywalls and roofs; building module homes, out of module catalogues!

Edit: grammar

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Tetragrammaton]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I honestly don't know a single mason that can do masonry.

I was fortunate to be able to travel to Juarez, Mexico, this year and help build a cinder-block house though. I got to mix concrete and apply mortar to the blocks, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Operative Masons (bricklayers) do amazing work. Watching them build a wall is like watching an artist paint.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus
I built a brick firepit in my backyard. I think it came out pretty good considering I never did something like that before. Moloch thought so as well.
Speaking of which, the owl burgers were quite tasty last weekend. Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

No problem Brother. Stop by next weekend when I invite my pal Woodsy over. Do you mind bringing a bottle of Latour? It should go well.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
dbbl post sorry.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by AugustusMasonicus]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

No problem Brother. Stop by next weekend when I invite my pal Woodsy over. Do you mind bringing a bottle of Latour? It should go well.

I know I shouldn't but I simply can't resist it. . .

I'm busy that night so I can't make it. Could you video the ritual sacrifice for me so I can watch it the next morning over breakfast?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
I know I shouldn't but I simply can't resist it. . .

I'm busy that night so I can't make it. Could you video the ritual sacrifice for me so I can watch it the next morning over breakfast?

Certainly. I may even include the Owl burger recipe with Masonic chips as a wonderful side dish.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I would consider myself an operative as well as speculative Freemason. I don't use red brick very much but I have built enough CMU(concrete masonry unit/cinderblock) walls in my day to be considered 'experienced'.

One of these days i promised my girl i would build a firepit in the back yard. I will do that with red brick and some kind of accent brick to make it look nice. Any pointers, AugustusMasonicus?

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The Freemasonic BIAS is strong in this thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tetragrammaton
The Freemasonic BIAS is strong in this thread.

Bias? All it is is a simple question. Its directed at masons so of course they are going to be the ones to respond.

[edit on by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
So the Owl Burgers/Satanic Rituals has something to do with the OP.
At the same time they are ridiculing all that has something against Masonry; they generalize the anti mason, and mock him indirectly.
That’s BIAS.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Tetragrammaton

it's a joke. It is the alternative to having anti masons screaming that we secretly worship a statue of an owl.

They taste like chicken.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Oh, I got the joke...
At the expense of anti-masonics!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join