It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overzealous mods

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
IT'S SIMPLE PEOPLE....

you don't own this board, you're a member ( guest ) here and the rules are do not excessive quote, one line post.. etc..... so DON'T DO IT !

Geez... this board is huge and for the amount of traffic that it sees the mods do a pretty good job around here.

I've been warned for exesive quoting, it didn't bother me the least little bit. I knew that I had done it, I had to to make my point, but it doesnt matter now.. life goes on.

I still have a problem with the one line or small posts that add absolutely nothing to a thread, it's terrible and yes I complain about it, but I don't "trash" the mods about it becuase they don't do anything... see ?

I'm so upset at one member for one liners and no content posts... I'm about ready to hit the "ignore" on them....

It's a discussion board, let's come here discuss the topics and let the mods moderate, it's that simple, the mods are not out to get anyone, they're simply doing what they've been asked to do.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

What are you bitching about?

This is what pisses me off. Every complaint or suggestion is met with this attitude.

You want to do something useful to help members have a nicer experience? Start teaching some of those people who use bold instead of quotes how to quote. They're far more annoying than anyone who uses the quote tags properly. Some of the threads are just cluster#s, in which you can't even tell who's trying to quote who, after awhile.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon... it would concern me and might well warrant a closer look..../quote]

Hi Garon!

Do you think for one minute that we *aren't* concerned - and that we *don't* look at these issues in COSMIC and DISC (which has members drawn from "members", as well as Admin)?

ATS has shown enormous growth, and attracts many visitors, as guests and members, every day. As others have said (more eloquently than I) "Mods are only human too" - and, as such, we are just as liable to make mistakes as anybody else. The thing is to try to learn from these mistakes, rather than to complain about "injustices", IMO.

Just my �0.02...

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lyriox

But wouldn't the only way for you to become a mod in the first place, be to agree to uphold what's already been put into place as policies? If you didn't agree to them, then you wouldn't be a mod.

The policies aren't in question here. Whether or not I want to be a mod isn't in question here either. I am simply saying, I have noticed a rise in people complaining about the way mods are doing things. I'm tossing my two cents in. I haven't had a problem with a mod and I don't anticipate having one. My observations are coming from an entirely neutral standpoint.

I am seeing a rapid increase in this type of post and, in my opinion, it warrants a closer look.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
The thing is to try to learn from these mistakes, rather than to complain about "injustices", IMO.

Just my �0.02...

I agree, but instead of trying to learn, it seems the mods/admins just get agitated and ask us what we're bitching about, as if we're not members, but mere annoyances.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garon
...I have noticed a rise in people complaining about the way mods are doing things...
...I am seeing a rapid increase in this type of post and, in my opinion, it warrants a closer look.

In which case, I agree with you and I think everyone should stop complaining about the mods basic, everyday activities to try and keep ATS the best that it possibly can, as has been said probably an infinite number of times before.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr
...as if we're not members, but mere annoyances...

You wouldn't find it annoying if you kept getting criticized for doing your job every time you did it? (gross generalisation on the every time I know.)

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe

What are you bitching about?

This is what pisses me off. Every complaint or suggestion is met with this attitude.

...Some of the threads are just cluster#s...

The attitude seems to belong to you, sir! You've made it to 18,000 points without being warned. Why don't you just kick back and consider yourself a good person for that instead of BITCHING relentlessly! Is it that big of a deal that someone might do their job, and ask you assertively to please not quote too much?

And I see you've just been warned for circumventing the censor, too. Good job, man!

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Do you think for one minute that we *aren't* concerned - and that we *don't* look at these issues in COSMIC and DISC (which has members drawn from "members", as well as Admin)?

Not in the least. I didn't say it wasn't a concern, I said if I was in that same situation it would concern me.

ATS has shown enormous growth, and attracts many visitors, as guests and members, every day.

And I am thrilled to be a part of it.

As others have said (more eloquently than I) "Mods are only human too" - and, as such, we are just as liable to make mistakes as anybody else. The thing is to try to learn from these mistakes, rather than to complain about "injustices", IMO.

That is a completly true and accurate statement. However, judging from the posts, it would appearsome of you aren't learning.

Let's not mistake my posts as complaining. Like I said before, I haven't had a problem. I'm speaking from a nuetral point. A devil's advocate as best as I can be.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Every complaint or suggestion is met with this attitude.

I am sorry you are upset by this situation. I hope you will try and understand the purpose of not having people quote entire posts to make a point. Only what is nessasary is needed. In fact, you might notice here that of your 2 sentence post, I only used one that I felt was most relevant to the situation. It is indeed a judgement call by both you and the mod, but I would hardly call it someone "out for you".

It's probably similar to when you speed down the road in a car. The police give you a ticket ($100) or maybe a warning. You chose to speed knowing the rules, and they need to enforce those rules. Hardly and "out to get you" situation. No different here.

Unless, they are out to take your stapler...
Now THAT is out to get you

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I only complain when I feel that overzealous complaints have been launched upon me. Otherwise, I just carry about my business. But, never once, has any counter complaint been met with anything more than mild to moderate contempt, and an apparent lack of interest. Hence, I get the old "fallen on deaf ears" feeling.

Hehehe! I saw that movie.

Please understand, I'm not trying to cause trouble. I do know there are at least two mods here who don't particularly like me, and both have seemed relentless in their warnings, at times. I won't mention any names. They know who they are.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
User Experience And Big Quotes We are, without doubt, the largest single discussion board on conspiracy, cover-up, scandal, aliens, and related alternative topics. By this time next year, at our current pace, we'll have over 1.2 million individual posts, and more than 70% of them will be ATS conspiracy topics. For smaller or less active boards, it's not really a big problem to have multiple occurrences of quoting in various forms. But of a board of our size, there are two important considerations: Size: The site of our database grows by 1.7 megabytes every day (on average), and compressed backups are currently over 410 megabytes. The increasing size poses two problems for a free ad-supported website... 1) the time involved with maintaining the data with regular backups and such, and 2) the increased server load required for daily interaction with a large database (the larger the database, the slower the queries on the data will run). User Readability/Experience: Long and active threads can be a difficult thing for some depending on different needs. Users on slower connections don't need to download the same content over-and-over again in threads where authors have quoted, and re-quoted posts. This can be irritating for users on broadband as well, when it comes to providing an easy-to-read thread where the important pieces of content (new posts) are obvious. When you edit the quoted portion of the post you're responding to, you show a degree of respect for your reader (everyone) because you've taken the time to make it easier for them to use the thread. As members of a community where people come to find answers, it behooves us to make sure they find them with a minimum of confusion, delay, and frustration. Also see this: www.abovetopsecret.com... For a similar point of view on multiple threads of the same topic.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I was warned and had pointed deducted for over quoting, but did i start a thread and start bitching about it????? NO! I knew i done something wrong and i apoligized to Skeptic for doing it. Most members on here learn from their mistakes, but now and again we get member who think the mods are after them, so they start bitchin'

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Size: The site of our database grows by 1.7 megabytes every day (on average), and compressed backups are currently over 410 megabytes. The increasing size poses two problems for a free ad-supported website... 1) the time involved with maintaining the data with regular backups and such, and 2) the increased server load required for daily interaction with a large database (the larger the database, the slower the queries on the data will run).

You may have to consider pruning older posts. What's this board use? MySQL? Do you run any type of compression? GZip?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You may have to consider pruning older posts. What's this board use? MySQL? Do you run any type of compression? GZip?

You know...that is a GREAT idea. Maybe instead of pruning actual knowledge that has been posted and might be valuable, you could create some type of guidelines so members don't post the same stuff over and over like other peoples quotes and stuff.

What? Oh, there is a rule about that?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Satyr You may have to consider pruning older posts.
We'd rather not. After an audit of the logs, a solid percentage of in-bound users from Google searchs access posts over a year old... our legacy content is what brings people to us. Why should we remove this valuable legacy of important content simply to accomodate current members who prefer to make their posts unecessarily large?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I do know there are at least two mods here who don't particularly like me...
Hey man, be fair to yourself. These mods don't even know you. How can they not like you? That's how I look at it, anyway. I'm pretty sure SkepticOverlord would like to use my nads for bolo practice most of the time, but those are just DeltaChaos nads... they're not real. There are many good reasons for not taking things personally, and my favorite is that I don't have to if I don't want to.

All I'm saying is that if you just keep the line of communication between you and the mods that have warned you open, you will find that they are very reasonable, and would listen to what you had to say if you would have addressed it with them.

This reminds me of the inverse of when Drunk created a thread apologizing for warning a bunch of people for short posting about a month ago. That was fun...

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Satyr if you are being treatly badly, consider this:

Most people here have received a few notices of posts being trashed or moved. Half the time, I can't remember what my posts were about when they are removed.

But I am flattered that someone took the time to read them.

We'll make mistakes. The mods here expect that. I think everyone does. If you are concerned about:

Post too long? Yep, that's me!
Post irrelevant. Yep, that's me!
Post in wrong area. Yep, done that one too!
None of this puts wrinkles on my brow.
Somebody read it. Isn't that flattery?

Now I don't understand the importance of the points that would lead to such a staunch position. If you feel your reward is necessary, I'll venture enough pocket change to send you a blue ribbon calling you a winner.

That doesn't mean I want to read a post, then reread the same post in a quote underneath.

The best ideas are summed up in one main thought. Just quote that thought and state what you have.
(Oaky, I see everybody pointing at me again. Yep, I'm guilty of that one too.)

So whose paying for my blue ribbon?

IMHO,
G

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I hadn't really considered the points issue until now, but that's not a big deal. By the end of this posting day, seeing as I am on sleep fast, I will have accrued at least 2000 more points.

Come on, this really isn't about 20 points, is it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join