It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I am always wondering what will happen when I die? Are there really ghosts? What will become of me and my loved ones? I do not have a strong belief in God so I guess that is why I wonder so much. I have seen things that tell me there has to be something, but then I think about it and I am not so convinced. I have believed in ghosts, but have a different theory.

E = mc2 , derived by Einstien and the basic law of physics is that energy can be neither created or destroyed. So, reffering to humans how does this work? We are energy right?

Well, when we are born our energy isn't really created because we are basically just seperating from our mothers. So, technically it is not created.

So then what about when we die? Well, according to this theory our energy can't be destroyed either. Hence ghosts. I am not so sure that these ghosts are dead people that haven't passed over but it is there energy still around, literally. Some people are more in tune with energy so they pick up on these things. Others don't. So in some way everybody that has lived leaves behind there energy..... That would make for a whole lot of "ghost" stories right?

Any feedback or ideas. What do you all think?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Victoria 1

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

In a word, yes.

I think there is enough evidence, both circumstantial and a growing body of scientific, that speaks to 'something' surviving physical death.

On a personal level, I believe I have seen proof of that survival. In fact, I think I believe in this (and reincarnation) stronger than I do the existence of ET.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
From personal experience..I do believe in Ghosts...

but...well..i don't know what they are...i don't understand what they are... i have a few theories but still i don't know...

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well, after we die, our energy is either transferred into the things that eat us (worms/decomposers) or into fuel for the cremation fires. Thats just our physical energy.
What happens with our spiritual energy (soul) depends on what you believe. It could go to heaven/hell, directly and without becoming a ghost. Or it could hang around until it is needed/reborn into the living world. I believe in ghosts, but have never had any direct contact experiences...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I saw a ghost in the bush one night with 3 other witnesses in my mid teens. It sat on a big log holding a snapped off branch with one of it's hands. We could see the lights from a property a couple of km's away shining right through it.

I don't believe in a utopian heaven so perhaps ghosts are a common transformation of our life force. I don't really know.

IRM

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think ghost are just a sign that hades is getting full so hades has to store some on earth. SMH

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Victoria 1

Yes I believe in ghosts. I have experienced a few things over the years that I wasn't really able to logically explain. Now I go ghost hunting to try and capture evidence on camera and other tools I use. I like to do it for fun really, I'm not really interested in trying to prove it to anyone else.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It would be a one liner except for this one..

In answering Yes , seeing IS believing.....

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I do not believe in Ghosts. I do not believe in a "Soul" or a "Spirit" that lives on after death. I agree with Fleetlord about your energy going into worms or the cremation fire.

I would very much like to see some type of Evidence to substantiate the claim of their existence. The best videos that I have seen that are supposed to be examples of evidence are videos that look like the Camera captures dust.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I didn't believe in them. Thought the 'ghost' thing (like Casper) was stupid and for kids. But I have to believe in them now, because I've seen some. Not imagined it. Actually saw, with my eyes, when I was awake. I've seen three that I know of, spaced between childhood and mid-30s. I found out the identity of one of them, although when I saw him I didn't have a clue who he was. They're in colour and look alive, although the second one looked washed-out and drab, but I suspect he looked like that when he was alive.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Me and my family have had an active, intelligent "haunting" for over a year now. Their focus is on me personally but the activity spills over into our home and something completely unexplainable happens every few weeks to be witnessed by other family members.

I'd be in complete denial of reality to question their existence. But at the same time I understand the skepticism of those who have not witnessed a thing.

The fact my experience is intelligent proves (to me at least) that it isn't just a form of random energy drifting around.
Animals are of a lower intelligence than humans but many still experience the same or similar primal emotions of fear, affection, happiness etc and I believe that "Soul" also carries on after the physical vessel perishes.

To think the soul or energy remains the same from the point of death is highly unlikely. Given the total amount of humans and animals that ever lived on this earth we'd simply be over run.

I believe the soul can not be destroyed.
An analogy might be an automobile is the body and you, the driver is the soul. You are joined to the drivers seat sometime while in the womb and get back out upon death.

The energy needs either to change into something else or be moved to another place. Nobody knows for sure what happens, it's the ultimate mystery.
Some folks who were brought back from death report loved ones waiting to comfort and guide- and the popular "Light". Others report a terrible, frightening experience filled with fire and beings of torture.

The reports come from people who were not only religious, but also those who were athiest at the time.

Some argue that is only delirium from a dying brain. I would consider such a possibility if the reports were inconsistent. All the reports I've read are very consistent. The experience is traumatic enough in all accounts to create a life-changing event.

Others already mentioned a belief in reincarnation. I know less about reincarnation but one or both thoughts about this is a great possibility of what happens when we die.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I have seen, heard and felt things that I cannot explain. The general grouping of phenomena are called 'ghosts', but I don't know what they were, and are.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I have seen a ghost before also. I was asleep in a chair and woke up, looked up and there was a man standing over me looking down at me. The wierd thing was it didn't scare me at all. It certainly woke me up though. I guess I try to rationalize in my mind because there are so many questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I offer two conflicting perspectives for your consideration.

First, saying that energy can't be destroyed and using that as evidence or supposition of afterlife is like saying "my car must still run after it runs out of gas." Our bodies are machines. We power our bodies by eating organic material. If the body can't process that material into energy efficiently, then you die. That's very simplistic, but if you think about it, any cause of death comes down to this. Stabbed? Hard to carry that energy without a sufficient amount of blood. Disease? Maybe the cells that receive the energy are faulty/damaged. You get the idea. So, at least in my opinion, No matter how you look at it, dying is caused by energy starvation.

Now on the other hand, I have seen and experienced things that prove to me beyond doubt that there is at least a realm that we are generally unaware of. Whether it's an afterlife or just another plane that is just slightly offset from ours, I don't know.

I can easily understand arguments from both sides when looking at it objectively. When looking through my own bias, I tend to believe that we experience a minuscule shard of what is actually reality.

[edit to add my ghost story]

When I was maybe 7 I fell asleep on my parents' bed. They put me on the floor next to them on an old crib mattress. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw my mom sitting on the floor next to me. I said "hi mom" and reached for her. My hand went right through her. Obviously it wasn't really her. I just rolled over and tried to stay sane until the sun came up.

A few years later - I woke up because I had to use the bathroom. It was a small house the whole second floor was a bedroom with a smaller room and a bathroom attached. I got up the stairs and I saw something in the opposite corner of the room. (incidentally, it was standing in the exact spot as the "ghost" mentioned in the previous paragraph.) It appeared to be faintly luminescent - a soft white glow, but it could have just been that he was reflecting ambient light better than anything else in the room. Anyway, I just pretended to be calm and proceeded to the bathroom. I stood there petrified for a few minutes trying to figure out what I just saw. After I did my business I opened the door enough to let the light pour out into the bedroom and peeked out. It was gone.

One could argue that my mind was playing tricks on me. If that's what you want to believe, fine. This next experience is a little more solid, at least in that it was also experienced by someone else.

(Different house, a few years later) One night, while I was dreaming (why doesn't this stuff ever happen in daylight?), I heard a voice whisper my name as if it were trying to get my attention. I heard it a few more times. I heard it again and started to wake up. I heard it again as I awakened and let out a groggy "what?!", but got no reply. I felt like there was someone/something in my room with me. I just froze and tried to go back to sleep. I didn't tell anyone about it, I just convinced myself that I was still half-asleep and dreaming and there was nothing more to it. About a month later one of my friends fell asleep on my bed. I went into the living room and slept on the couch. The next morning he started telling me about some voice that kept whispering MY name. He also claims he saw a figure in the corner of the room that, by description, resembles the one i mentioned above.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by an0maly33]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have seen poltergeistic -like activity where objects have moved and the only person in the room was myself. It was not a big room and held no fans, or air-conditioning units.

I was an adult, in an office where other adults worked, and the effect started to take place just before a second person walked in the room, and she too, saw a bit of the effect before it ended.

But other than the shock factor, we weren't too surprised as we knew someone had committed suicide on our floor in earlier years.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I would have to see one to believe one.I've never had anything strange happen to me or my family.I work with a guy that swears his house is haunted though.I wouldn't mind going there sometime to see though.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Hi an0maly33:

I agree 100% with your statement.
I also believe the human body carries about the same useful energy after death as an uprooted plant. The energy is still there. Both can be burned to convert the energy into heat, or provide food for the crawling critters etc etc.

I apologize to being unclear in my point. I believe there are two seperate but linked types of energy to a person: One being the body (The automobile) and the soul (The driver). The body will be eventually cast off when it is no longer able to sustain the soul - and the soul moves on tward that great ultimate mystery.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yes I do...also demons too. My spiritual mentor told me to be wary of traveling to places like NYC or Las Vegas...which are riddled with ghosts or demons...which can follow you...especially since I'm in my early stage of spiritual development.

Even what he said I still decided to go to Las Vegas for a weekend of debouchery and see what might conjour up. Of course everything seemed pretty normal when I was in Vegas.

However when I got back home from my trip...things were a little different. I was sitting on my couch hanging out with my dog and I heard my facet turn on. It was crazy...I really began to question it if it did turn on or not.

Then my dog starts freaking out and shaking like she's scared...the all of a sudden my dishwasher turns on.

Okay then I realized something followed me home. Immediately I told it to leave. I lit some incense and said a buddhist prayer.

After that everything was calm, my dog was relaxed and back to her old self again.

new topics

top topics

join