It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Things You Should Keep In Mind Before Posting In The UFO Forum

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tomra

Good points, and that is why I said "there are some exceptions to the rule" as far as posts and and threads go. But most of the time (99.9%) in threads if the OP is less than a paragraph and mostly [ ex ] quoted it was not well researched and really does not belong in the UFO board IMO. Of course posts are different, they do not have the same "burden" that an OP has. I have seen some PROFOUND one lor two liners.

As far as the reading the whole thread goes, yea that would be appreciated, but we must remember that some threads are like 10 plus pages. Some people will not devote that much time to a single read. This is a slippery slope really and can be avoided if the OP covers the main points, then we have members not wasting their time "decrypting" the OP and they can get to the bottom of something, rather than have to make obvious points that should have been already covered in the OP.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This could be a subset of #2 but...

WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH THREADS ABOUT THE HORRORS OF SKEPTICS

Yes, we know if it wasn't for skeptics we would know the truth by now. But chances are, we've had three threads about it this week; even if its just 12:01 Sunday morning, there is probably a thread about skeptics already being made. We understand you need to vent, have some self-validation and that it will help you sleep better at night, but please...employ one of the threads already in existence.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

See point 4....

[edit on 7/28/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Are you sure you want to do this Justin?

Things could get ugly!

If you start encouraging balanced reasoning and critical thought to the masses of Ufology, it's not just the mob you have to worry about: Greer won't be able to fly First Class; Maussan will have to rely on his $1,000,000 + network salary to scrape a living, and poor old Billy Meir will have to start fabricating more realistic-looking toy laser guns!!!!!

Are you sure you want the blood of these fine upstanding statesman of Ufology, on your hands???

S&F

[edit on 28-7-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mckyle

Oh I am sure,lol......

Good points though.......

Thanks for your reply my friend!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Anytime my friend. It's always a pleasure to contribute to your posts. Hope I get more time soon to do it

Keep it up mate - you're on fire

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
what if im an alien!!!

nice thread S+F

---- Edited

Going to post this be for i go to work...

forget the pictures, forget the vids, forget moon landings "or not" for get all you know...

Would it matter if aliens came to earth? Yes and why?

you want the truth? Humans have been brainwashed for so long with god that we can not cope with ALIENS..

thats the truth... you want more proof?

just look up its right in your face...

there is NO god.. but there is something that created all this and its name is not GOD... that was created by MAN to keep other MEN in control

logic?

my cat is a alien.. so is a tree.. why? because its not a human...

logic? an alien = other life form

simple...

and when people wake up to the fact your only gift was to be HERE and the rest is up to you...

your planet will be a lot better off for it.. corruption death killing rape

has nothing to do with god but mans ineptness to admit to him self what he realy is.

keep lying to your self

and roll on armagedon

[edit on 28-7-2009 by symmetricAvenger]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

A lot of people on these forums work very hard at their day jobs...It is very kind of you to take this role on and I suggest that you aspire to be a mod- sometimes it's not possible for us to be that thorough to get a point across effectively and quickly.

To be honest you really p me off!...but yes I take on board the duplicity!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
WE ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH THREADS ABOUT THE HORRORS OF SKEPTICS

Why are you yelling Masked Man? Skeptics are okay its the debunkers that are the HORROR

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I think a working list of people to AVOID is needed, too. Cohen, Maussen(sp), etcetera. If you got a UFO vid with the names of the crackpots and charletens attached to it, reconsider....

First off--great post by jkrog08, I couldn't agree more!

It would be nice to have a credibility rating/listing for some of these guys done by ATS posters. Even a chart over time listing their upward, steady, or downward spiral into huckster-ville would be interesting. Skeptics could also be rated to get us an idea if someone is open minded or swamp gas level debunker. Only one vote per month so people don't just hate-vote on a person and results would not be shown till the next month. You don't get a vote until you have been posting for 6 months to a year to keep the trolls out of the process.

It would be interesting to see who is respected, hated, or not as respected as they think (Michael Salla watch out!). There is a movement in ufology right now to kick out the hacks (the 15 years of a global internet filtering out the BS-creators is probably the catalyst), after years of putting up with dreamy half truths, the real researchers are stepping up.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

...does this mean i'm not an alien? - Damn!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I have to say I know this wasnt intended for only the UFO forum or the "Many of you are actually Aliens" thread wouldnt have been used as an example of a bad thread which has no relation to ufology even though it may have been posted in the UFO forum. It was too bad of an example for its own good. You mine as well picked out a example from the conspiracies in religions section. I would of liked to see a example of flaws from a original UFO post.

From what I've seen this whole ATS forum is that its based on people and their credibility. If they post something with a mistake, its the end for them even if they do seem to accept it. They seem so fixated on it.

Even that good post "The Coyne incident: Mansfield, Ohio, 1973" had a person who left a message saying he couldnt find any holes in it. Only proves that the forum isnt entirely about "Hey cool a UFO case! Should be interesting." and partially about "Is there any flaws at all in this post?"

Though that was a great example!

On the other hand. I'm actually glad to see something like this posted. It will help me out a lot if I ever post something on any subject. Thanks for dedicating your time into this to help others not to make mistakes.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
As someone who has actively followed UFOlogy for decades, I am now considered a skeptic, debunker, rain on parade provider.

After half a year of checking out ATS threads, I'll concede there are some exceptionally bright and knowledgeable people in this neighbourhood.

But by force and numbers alone it is overwhelmed by what I presume to be mainly teenagers who do not have the ability to separate fact from Science Fiction.

I read endless references to a non-existent Planet Niburu, what the aliens at Area 51 have to say, about wars between Greys and Reptilians, etc.

What may have started as a scientific investigation of unidentified phenomenon in the skies is now firmly in the realm of folklorish cultism.

Amateur videos of plastic toys and crude special effects are taken as evidence of alien visitations. Some batty old lady's jammed movie camera frames are considered pictures of an alternate dimension.

All this may be a fun pastime but has little if anything to do with the unusual objects seen by so many worldwide.

Mike

[edit on 29-7-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Good post, jkrog08 - I like the thought and rational thinking gone into it.

S & F!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Best post i've read on here in a long time.

BTW good post OP.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Another great post jkrog08! Its good to see sanity and quality prevail. It's been a long time between drinks... or so it seems sometimes.

IRM

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Atomic

Hi Atomic
damn good suggestion by you and Wylekat

And contrary to some members who state it's not workable, I think it is!!

We could use the same system we use already in the script that records stars. The only other part that would need scripting is the addition to give a negative rating. This is not aimed at the OP, it would purely be for those with a public profile in Ufology.

It's worth a go as it would give a potential poster pause for thought before posting on a given individual and it ensures newer members are up to speed on who's who in Ufology or any other category on ATS.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Hi mmichael
good to see you.

I am sure your words resonate with many on this board. Intuitively, I feel there's been a "watering down" of the overall - can I say academic - standard of ATS articles. The good researchers are still there in most cases - JKrog08, Internos, et al, but the idiots have reached a critical mass! The ratio between quality and rubbish is increasingly more disparate.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for your very kind words. Hopefully some people who should see this thread will see it. I am going to keep it on my signature so maybe more people will see it, especially in the months to come when this thread will be buried under 1000s of others, lol.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join