It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope attacks art vandalising Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Pope attacks art vandalising Bible

www.dailymail.co.uk

The Pope has condemned a ' disgusting' taxpayer-funded exhibition in which visitors are urged to deface the Bible.
Visitors were offered pens by gallery bosses so they could scrawl comments on the text - leading to a host of puerile and obscene remarks.

Pope Benedict XVI believes the stunt would not have been contemplated with a copy of the Koran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: Extra Link : www.thenewamerican.com...

[edit on 28-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
This is very disturbing, not by what the Pope has commented but what people see as entertainment and obviously being paid to do it.

In my simple straight forward logic, anything which is considered by tens of million's as a holy book and to be defaced in the name of art has far more evil roots and an agenda which systematically is being continuously forced upon its citizens.

Perhaps the next art gallery will hold the exact same idea as the above mentioned and have the Koran in its place. Given how seriously stupid society has become, totally ignorant of ethical and honor as a value system within society i feel were on the verge of something very big, unless the government steps in to close this so called exhibition.

I for one am totally offended by this.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
While I truly believe in free speech I have to say I HATE book banning, book burning or book defacing. Drawing in a book gets me mad because books are precious to me. Even a book that I think is fictional is still a book.

Then again if the art gallery bought the book then they are free to do whatever they want with it. I just hate to see books destroyed. Heck even if it was Mein Kampf that was defaced I would be angry. A book is a book and should be treasured.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Wow, from every nook and corner people are doing all they can to *bleep* on the bible and the belief's therein.

Like the Pope said, I bet this wouldn’t happen with the Koran -If it was tried you’d be signing it with your own blood that’s for sure.

How pre-pubescent can you get. ‘Nee-Ner Nee-Ner I scrawled something on the bible!’

I bet there are even people who would call this *liberating*.

The western world has so forgotten the difference between freedom and respect it’s unreal.

peace

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Um,

Holy or Not its a just a book.

And if people want to kill people over defacing a book,

doesn't that go against the peace and harmony that is purportedly espoused by that book?

Art is love Love is Life

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
hasnt this happened already? with the fact that there have been so many dead sea scroll cases that there are pieces of that, that SHOULD be in the Bible as well?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I don't support any religion really (although I believe in god) but this is not right. I don't care what people do to the bible in their homes or whatever but being in public and encouraged to deface it is WRONG in my eyes.

That is not "art" or whatever. And I'm someone whos a BIG fan of graffiti art (and I dont mean just illegal writing on a wall, I'm talking about beautiful murals and stuff) and stuff but this goes way, way beyond just defacing something, imo.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Art is #ed up in todays society, but then again it has always been about pushing the boundaries and unfortunately these artists would rather get a name for pushing what little boundaries are left than actually spending time to create something beautiful like the artists of old!

One could smear their own faeces on a wall and people would call it art these days.

Whilst I think organised religion is BS it's highly disrespectful to deface their holy books and only lends to provoke yet further intolerance within their organisations.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
My mother taught me from the first day I could hold a book that you respect a book. It doesn't matter what kind of book it is.

To go a step further and not only disrespect a book, but also disrespect people's believes is just plain childish - as a previous poster also said.

And then you want to call it art? The masters like Da Vinci and Michelangelo would do summersaults in their graves if they heard what's passing as art these days.

Sigh. And then the human race has the audacity to call themselves civilized.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Well, the nice thing about this gallery is, you guys don't have to go to it.

The only reason this is being done under the guise of 'art' is so that it can provoke a reaction, which from the few posts here already, it's certainly achieved.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Holy or Not its a just a book.

And if people want to kill people over defacing a book,

The problem is, believe in it or not, it isn’t *just a book* - as the Koran is just not a book or scroll, etc.

As for the bible, a woman was killed in North Korea just a few days ago for that *book*. She lost her life for her belief in that *book*.

The billions of people who’ve died the bible, even just the right to read it - that’s pretty much enough evidence for me, it’s not *just a book*.

No, it's the cornerstone for a belief system and represents the way of life for billions of people.

You don’t have to believe in it, no, but at least have respect for the people that do - and not only now but throughout history.

peace

[edit on 28-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
reply to post by tristar

Well, the nice thing about this gallery is, you guys don't have to go to it.

The only reason this is being done under the guise of 'art' is so that it can provoke a reaction, which from the few posts here already, it's certainly achieved.

Wrong, if you read carefully you will read that you are getting PAID to do that.

Given the level of intelligence and the two people behind this art should provide you with enough information to see WHO is doing this and WHY

Come in, sit down, take the load of your wings, said the spider to the fly..!

In the off chance that viewers or writers have forgotten about simple terms perhaps this should be a reminder of what the term respect means

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
In a strange way I find it perfectly fitting, but I can understand how some may take exception and/or offence to some remarks. BUT, art is an expression, an expression in which ever way the artist feels appropriate.

The reason I find it fitting though is that the Bible and other religious text have arguably drawn the most varied opinions regarding its writings. The art in this instance is the thoughts on the texts in which the comments are written on.

Side by side, the Bible, and written on the Bible the thoughts of this days populace concerning the Story. One day it may perhaps be looked back on as a masterpiece (although I doubt that very much) which clearly illustrated the changing views of a people, the shift away from an overwhelming acceptance of the writings.

In a strange way, it shows a freedom of speech, the freedom to portray beliefs without fear of being condemned as a Heretic by an oppressive accepted cult movement.

I think it is art in its most raw form, expression. It is just a one book of perhaps billions that have been printed as well, not as if it is an attempt to destroy all traces of the texts, if it was an ancient original it'd be a different story altogether.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Just so there is no confusion of who is behind this and to disguise at is ART is plain horse #.

Anthony Schrag and David Malone have explored faith and sexuality with members of The Metropolitain Community Church, Quest, Al Jannah Muslim Group and individuals from a range of faiths.

www.glasgowmuseums.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This makes me so mad... British society makes me sick when it comes to this. I am a Christian... I do not tell others what to do, I do not ram my message down other’s throats or tell those who don’t believe that they are going to hell (personally i don’t think it works like that anyway) But as a Christian I have to put up with a constant bombardment of anti Christian sentiment in my own country.

Muslims get a rough time in Britain with regards to media hype and accusations of fundamentalism... but (and rightly so) people do not step over the line and insult the Koran or their prophet Mohamed.

There are no openly overt attacks on Jews, Buddhists, Hindus or any other religious/belief group.

But Christianity is always under attack. Even where I used to work there was ALWAYS joke emails going around about Jesus. On the TV you will see comedy show always making fun of Christianity. Stand up comedians too. A woman was even sacked from her job as a care worker for offering to pray for someone who was suffering!!! Why is every other religion respected in Britain but not Christianity?????

And please... no one spew out the usual garbage about how Christianity is responsible for the deaths of millions, or causes wars etc... Because the same can be said of any religion and also the non religious. Stalin was an atheist... doesn’t mean all atheists are mass murderers does it!!!

Personally I think that it is because we was once such a strong Christian country it has become almost embarrassing, for some, to think that we once followed this religion. So instead of just quietly walking away like an adult they have to behave like spoilt teenager Child who hangs around the local park insulting his own mother in an attempt to look tough to the other kids.

And to suggest it is "Just a book" is naive. It is more than just a book to the people who believe in it. Regardless of what your own personal beliefs are, you should show respect of others. That is what a good and decent human being should do in my opinion!

Sorry if I’m ranting but this really angers me

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well said silo13... you say it far better than i can...

a star for you my friend

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I remember the outrage when some snipers used the Koran as target practice. Everybody was up in arms about it and those soldiers were punished.

Its a sad double standard. I guess they should have said that they were making art.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I'm all for free speech and I'm not a Bible Thumper either. I respect others beliefs. This is just wrong! This isn't Art it's just a "shock entertainment"
Sad really. The levels people would lower themselves to for a cheap thrill.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

That's so #ed up.

Wtf has defacing the bible got to do with being gay, lesbian, trans or bisexual and having faith ? If they're getting opinions from multiple religions/cultures why is it only the bible being defaced ?

Also it's complete #ing BS to be a christian/muslim/jew/etc and be gay.

I hate intolerance but I also hypocrisy and being a gay christian is hypocrisy and also stupidity at its finest. How can one exactly believe in a book which condemns your own sexuality ?

This isn't art, or making a statement it's a childish attempt for hypocrits to lash out at those who rightfully condemn according to their beliefs.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo
In a strange way, it shows a freedom of speech, the freedom to portray beliefs without fear of being condemned as a Heretic by an oppressive accepted cult movement.

I think it is art in its most raw form, expression. It is just a one book of perhaps billions that have been printed as well, not as if it is an attempt to destroy all traces of the texts, if it was an ancient original it'd be a different story altogether.

In other words if I took an American flag and have people write obscenities all over it I could also call it art? Perhaps we can burn it in a spectacular finale? We would be expressing ourselves - and they make millions of flags every year after all... It would be just one flag...

I wonder if the non-religious folks would have the same opinion if we changed "Bible" with "American Flag" in the above article?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join