It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US manufacturing jobs go to China

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
Even so, American products are still the best in the world.

Chocolates, Levi's Jeans and escapist entertainment, yes.

Cars, electronics, and just about everything? No.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Well, yes, but those plants were built with Japanese specifications.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Actually, scratch that. I've owned Levi's made in Cambodia.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
whats the point? any new industry will just get outsourced. Look at the electronics industry. Silicon valley was the center of the world when it came to manufacturing Processors, motherboards, RAM, Electronic components.

At one point it made 49% of the worlds Printed circuit board products in the late 90's early 2000's. Its now down to 12%. Greenshoots indeed.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
WHO CARES? New home sales are up 11% this month and the DOW up 30% since March. And Warren Buffet says nobody should fear investing in America! We unleash human potential! LOL.

This country has become a completely joke. Those of us who see what's going on realize that there is no recovery coming. As long as people are unemployed NOTHING matters. As long as our industry and manufacturing is crumbling NOTHING matters! The only way to add economic value to an economy is to make it, mine it, or grow it. Something we do little of in these days.

A lot of the home sales are going to foreign investors instead of Americans. I spoke to a real estate agent about purchasing a home in Youngstown, OH and he told me that much of his buyers are from China and places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
this is one of those topics where my fellow americans tend to piss me off.
we need to accept responcibility on subjects like this. in other words, everytime we lay the blame elsewhere, while heading to walmart to buy chinese, we hurt out own workers.
dammit, get used to paying a bit more, support your local businesses, and buy american.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by rubbertramp]

That sounds 'nice' and simplistic and all. However, when I go to buy something I need the option of buying American made isn't usually there. I try to boycott China as much as I can.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
sam walton went from selling american made goods, to a global empire of chinese made goods.

americans went from being pro-union to being pro-illegal workers.

the worse the economy gets, the better the excuse to buy cheap chinese goods.

Sam Walton was dead when the switch to primarily Chinese products occured. When he ran the business, it focused on American made products.

I guess I'm not an american since I'm anti-illegal worker?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by eldard

Actually, scratch that. I've owned Levi's made in Cambodia.

When I worked in the mens clothing dept at Wal-mart last year, I was folding and straightening the Levis jeans. I saw what I first thought was lint on a part of Levis and I flicked it off. It was a worm! A real live intestinal parasite! I went to the bathroom and scrubbed my hands as much as I could. It was awful!

The Levis weren't made in the USA. I don't recall where they were made now.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join