It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T Reportedly Blocks 4Chan. This Is Going To Get Ugly.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
reply to post by Hyzera

Oh yes it is right to post in breaking news. Lord knows fox news is not allowed to THINK the name 4chan or any other chan...

I stay away from the Chan... I like my computer hard drives but I know the legions go there....

And if this news be true then it will be seen as an act of war and the sum total of Anon will react...

What could those ATT guys be smoking? No system is safe... ever. Someone will always find a way some how and the best thing one can do is be good.... ATT is not being good....

I look forward to more news about this as Anon educates ATT about there folly.

You mean the Corporation that was once known as AT&T ?

Talk about opening Pandora's Box. Geez Louise!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyzera

there are a million ways they can get back at AT&T and i am sure we will be hearing A LOT more about this soon!

The anons in IRC are urging others to do nothing illegal this time. They need public support, and they're not going to get it if the media paints them as "hackers on steroids" again.

How can they get public support? That will never happen if John Q Public finds out what actually goes on there.

Like I said, this is Pandora's Internet Box. And it hath been opened. Run for the digital hills!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
No they have not. I was just on this site on my iphone through ATT. I saw this article and had to try it, it worked.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think I'm missing something. I've got ATT, but I don't seem to have any problems viewing any pages there. Is there some particular section that's blocked? I couldn't find any so far...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

AT&T's 3G and laptop cards aren't filtering 4chan, only DSL and u-verse

reply to post by chiron613

I think I'm missing something. I've got ATT, but I don't seem to have any problems viewing any pages there. Is there some particular section that's blocked? I couldn't find any so far...

Only the two boards hosted on IMG.4chan.org (/b/ and /r9k/) are blocked.

[edit on 7/26/2009 by Hyzera]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613

I'm in the U.S. with DSL. I wondered for a moment if maybe they magically lifted the block but for me it's still in place.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

That is total BS. People in IRC did traceroutes and all packets are getting blackholed once they reach AT&T's servers. It isn't 4chan's fault since people with other ISPs can reach /b/ just fine.

Why are they lying? Did they realize their mistake and are now trying to desperately make it appear as if they did nothing wrong?

Edit- Not me in the screenshot. Someone in IRC posted it.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh dear God no. Those poor poor souls. For I fear that they have no idea what they have done. They have awoken David Davidson and the Internet Haet Machine. Anonymous does not forgive and it does not forget. There is no measure to how fast and how hard they will bring this fight to AT&T's doorstep. David is on his own side now.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Here's the recorded YT video of the chat.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Hah, 4chan is known for attacking websites, and believe it or not they are already planning an attack on AT&T servers for tomorrow. I don't think anything will come out of that though.

Image from 4chan:

[edit on 7/26/2009 by bl4ke360]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I just visited 4chan and there are people there now who are using AT&T and most of the posters are taking a wait and see attitude about the issue.

I think that this is a tempest in a teapot.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

No they're not. I see the thread you're talking about and it's being sage bombed by the people in IRC.

IF YOU DDOS THEM, THAT JUSTIFIES THEIR CENSORSHIP.

The above message is being spammed in the thread while being saged so it doesn't get bumped.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Man AT&T is stupid as hell to declare war on 4chan. 4chan is quite possibly the most powerful entity on the net and I would honestly choose the forces of 4chan over any country's cyber war units. I'm not a 4chan user, more of an admirer of what that board is about. 4chan doesn't need to the government though, they'll destroy AT&T on their own.

However, aside from that this is beyond frightening. What the # is AT&T thinking with this move considering this violates the law, is a huge censorship issue, and is bound to piss off the American public. There's no way they can win this. Screw AT&T for even attempting to censor the internet or do this thing. I hope AT&T gets destroyed by 4chan.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

Now that I think of it, attacking them won't do anything especially after seeing this come from an AT&T employee on 4chan:

I can tell you that DDoSing AT&T will do nothing but hurt everyone, including yourselves, since they are a tier-1 provider and therefore backbone most of the internet in the US. Also, raiding our call centers really won't do anything, cause we have scripts we have to read to you robotically until you decide you don't want to talk to us anymore. They don't care.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

Now that I think of it, attacking them won't do anything especially after seeing this come from an AT&T employee on 4chan:

I can tell you that DDoSing AT&T will do nothing but hurt everyone, including yourselves, since they are a tier-1 provider and therefore backbone most of the internet in the US. Also, raiding our call centers really won't do anything, cause we have scripts we have to read to you robotically until you decide you don't want to talk to us anymore. They don't care.

Do you got a link to this source? Does this guy mention what the # AT&T is trying to pull with this?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

It was just someone on 4chan claiming to work for AT&T. Even if he's lying it doesn't really matter because it's true, the only way to "battle" against AT&T's censorship is by doing it legally.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
www.inquisitr.com...

4chan owner Moot later confirmed the news, saying that the /r9k/ was also blocked and that AT&T users should “call or write [to] customer support and [AT&T] corporate immediately.”

It appears that 4chan's administrator, moot, was unaware of this blockage and is asking for users to do something about it. It's one thing for posters on /b/ to organize themselves, but with moot as a catalyst, who knows what will happen...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well, I am glad I got the popcorn going in time. This is indeed becoming more entertaining than anything Ive seen in quite awhile.

I am just hoping they don't destroy the entire Internet in the process.

Can anyone say Internet 2?

But in all seriousness, it appears that they scared the crap out of AT&T and the issue is being resolved swiftly.

But, can you really close Pandora's Box after you have opened it?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The problem is that most people who think /b/ are down don't realize that it's down because of AT&T, not because of the recent DDoS attacks that have plagued the site. Just beware if moot makes an announcement on the site about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, he has already: status.4chan.org...

[edit on 7/26/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
UPDATE

Update (8:45 PM 7/26): After over an hour of trying, we finally got someone from AT&T corporate to provide a statement. AT&T has confirmed that they are “currently blocking portions of the internet site 4chan.org”, but states that they are “following the practices of their policy department.”

AT&T went on to say that they did contact (or, at least, attempted to contact, they wouldn’t clarify) the owners of 4chan. They say that they have specific reasons why they blocked these parts of the site, but they would not disclose them to CentralGadget.com. AT&T states that they have requested specific things and changes from 4chan’s owners, and that 4chan has not complied.

Regardless, without a clear explanation of specific rational for blocking 4chan… both 4chan and CentralGadget.com encourage you to continue calling AT&T technical support, and filing your complaints there (escalate as high as possible, we have heard reports that Tier 1 support agents are being told to incorrectly state that AT&T doesn’t block any web site).

Update (9 PM 7/26): Moot, the owner of 4chan, has stated that 4chan has received no contact from AT&T, calling into question if AT&T followed their own protocol when blocking 4chan.

CentralGadget

So now AT&T can basically can tell a site to do what they want or they'll block it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join