It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Survive any Post-Apocalyptic Situation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Hey great list its nearly smack on to my basic survival kit with a few differences.

But a face mask to protect you from noxious fumes, diseased bodies etc i'd have to say is an must have!!

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rogueduke

Good idea. They aren't to hard to get, compared to most things.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yes & also very good against CS & tear gas

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Something I ALWAYS have with me no matter where I go is my hoodie jacket. What I have done before is sew a length of the thicker guitar string into the waist seam, along with about 20 ft of dental floss. I keep a film canister with matches, a birthday candle, upholstery sewing needle & iodine tabs, in the least often used top zippered pocket.

I do this because 1.) I am always cold 2.) I cant know when TSHTF, my luck will be when I am in another town and too far from my car to get to my bug out bag safely. 3.) This will help me get home.

uses:
Guitar string - wrap both ends around sticks, I have a way to cut some firewood. Or can use to tie something together where I will need the extra hmmph.
dental floss - can be used for fishing line (along w/ upholstery needle for hook), putting together a shelter, sewing up a cut (again, upholstery needle).
iodine tabs - clean water
matches - hmmmmm
candle - save matches or may need some way to attach something by melting the wax, can also write with it.

I have a very good sense of direction, even at night (in fact prefer hiking at night) and my hubby and I have often talked about what each will do if separated if/when SHTF. He gets our daughter, and if I am not back in 3 days then he will come for me. I will leave signs - which are specific. I realize this does not cover all, but we have a plan in place.

Casing

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Some interesting items on these posts, I may have to add some of these items to my kit. This is what I have currently in my pack, and where I picked up these items:

Molle Mission Backpack, these are excellent packs, and I happened across this one at a garage sale, these normally run $150-$200 each but are worth it.

2 KBar knfves, 5" blades with whetstone, garage sales

Magnesium Fire Starter (Aurora brand), with cotton balls for tinder

Water Purification tablets-a must have, off eBay

Hanging Hammock with bug netting. Folds up very small, off Ebay

200' of parachute cord, Army Surplus Store.

1 small fishing kit,hooks,line, weights, etc..Ebay

2 bottles MultiVitamins, 1000 pills each, Wal-Mart. This is something I never see people mention, however, in extreme situations, the human body can survive long term on just water and Vitamins.

1 pair of survival cargo pants, brown, with 2 thermal long sleeve shirts and 2 pair of thermal long underwear, 3 pairs long socks, 1 pair waterproof gloves and 1 baclava(ski mask) all brown in color. all from ebay.

10 lbs of rice, 10 lbs beans, 8 cans of Tuna, small waterproof containers containing salt, sugar, coffee, tea, powdered milk, Tonys seasoning (im from Louisiana, couldnt help myself) various other seasonings. Wal-Mart

1 small First-Aid kit- Wal-Mart

2 Emergency Radio/Flashlight/Chargers, these are the crank version, you dont need batteries, you crank the arm to produce the power for the radio and the flashlight, it also has an outlet for recharging a cell phone. Very small and compact, these are a must!!
Very reasonable cost as well. eBay

1 - .22 caliber pistol, with 1000 rds of ammo.

1- .22 rifle, scoped, this I keep next to the pack as its too large to fit inside the pack. I chose a .22 rifle as well because I only have to pack 1 type of ammo. The .22 is very underestimated as a hunting and a defense weapon. I can hit a watermelon from 200 yards, so it has plenty enough range to be able to hit several targets before they reach me.

I also have a Leatherman tool, several spoons and forks, some safety pins, 2 decks of playing cards, a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a razor and blades, small mirror, qtips and a manilla folder containing a copy of my entire familys birth certificates, social security cards, driver licenses and banking account numbers.

This is what I have in my pack at the moment. I would estimate its weight at 75 lbs, without the rifle, not as light as I would like it but still very manageable. The pack is basically full but I could add some additional items, especially by relocating all the clothing into ziplock bags and strapping them to the outside. If the SHTF over a span of time, i.e. we definetly see it coming, Im going to add 2000 rounds of ammo and triple the food items.

I have 5 acres of land, wooded, with a pond on the site. I have recently planted a multitude of fruit trees and even an almond tree. The woods that border my house are full of squirrels, deer, rabbits, fox, birds, etc. The numerous ponds all have fish in them, when I purchased the land I had the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries come and stock them, they will do that for free, another thing many people do not know. I have scouted several sites that are ideal for hiding out if I have to leave the house. We will stay in the house if at all possible, and likely relocate the pack to a hidden spot in the woods when the first signs of trouble come. We can then abandon the house at a moments notice and be able to regroup in the woods and buy us some time to reassess what we need to do from there.

This is the best prepared that I believe my family and I can be...

[edit on 31-1-2010 by theQuest]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
hello, I'm saving up for a compound cross-bow, so long as there are hazel bushes, I can make bolts for it. I already have a stock of tinned food, but buying more, plus dried stuff like pasta and packeted noodles.
anyone thought of a magnifing glass? or 2,? useful for starting fires on sunny days, saves on matches etc.

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by theQuest
1 - .22 caliber pistol, with 1000 rds of ammo.

1- .22 rifle, scoped, this I keep next to the pack as its too large to fit inside the pack. I chose a .22 rifle as well because I only have to pack 1 type of ammo. The .22 is very underestimated as a hunting and a defense weapon. I can hit a watermelon from 200 yards, so it has plenty enough range to be able to hit several targets before they reach me.

That is a good or best choice they are lite portable you can carry 1000rds in a small box 22longs or 22shorts and if it came to defending yourself they can pack a wallop they can enter one area and exit a totally different part of the body (due to lower velocity)

If worst came to worst you could build your own weapons (bones sticks and stones) Re curve or long bows rock mauls bow lows if it came down to it you could make a weapon out of all most any thing

[edit on 31-1-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I disagree with you on leaving your house. Yes there will be people who will want to kill you if you stay; but what makes you so sure that people won't kill you if you leave? What you should do is to have escape routes incase you get overurn by zombies or something like that. You should also fill your bathtub up with water so you will have a large supply of water. Good thread overall though

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MyAwesomeFace

I agree, it may be safer to be in the house, but there are also times when that is a hinderance. Remember if people are starting to attack your home there is likely the scenario where if they cant get in they will set fire to the house. Sometimes being unconfined to walls is the best option. Im not a master woodsman but once I walk in the woods with a rifle in my hand then my follower/attacker is at a huge disadvantage. I can wound him easily and kill if neccesary. Hopefully it never comes to that, but I prefer to have the option at my taking..

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyAwesomeFace
You should also fill your bathtub up with water so you will have a large supply of water.

Make sure it seals properly. Most bathtub drains leak. It doesn't matter in typical everyday use, but for storage purposes, they'll typically leak out all of the water within half a day or so.

As an alternative, we used 18 and 30 gallon plastic storage bins. Just make sure the walls can support the weight of the water.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wow! Great ideas.... I was wondering, though, any recommendations on types of vehicles that would be useful for survival? SUV's, Jeeps, Hummers, pick-ups, ATV's, etc? We are in Colorado and thinking of heading for the mountains. Would a travel trailer be a good idea or would it just slow us down?

I think I posted this in wrong spot and now I can't get it off...gonna try again.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by amorerei]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Wow! Great ideas.... I was wondering, though, any recommendations on types of vehicles that would be useful for survival? SUV's, Jeeps, Hummers, pick-ups, ATV's, etc? We are in Colorado and thinking of heading for the mountains. Would a travel trailer be a good idea or would it just slow us down?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
www.solartechnology.co.uk...

I think this little device would prove very usefull, say a touch phone with gigs of manuals maps and whatnot. You could charge it and have it with you all the time.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by awakening1

iodine pills only stop absorption of radioactive iodine into the thyroid gland. Stopping thyroid cancer, its not a catch all anti-nuke pill or anything like that! So I wouldn't really worry bout the KI pills!

as for the list, (waterproof) a map and pens and reading books. - useful to take notes / to make a food map if you haven't done prior to the situation going up

jeans are a massive no no! they're heavy and absorb water! taking ages to dry! lightweight cotton pants are the best as they'll dry very quickly! have your tried tabbing in jeans?

bug spray cans - I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of better natural alternatives that wont take up as much room and will have other uses. EG Garlic, a clove a day will repel mossies and also boost your immune system for example.

seeds - good idea if you have weeks to bunker down and know how to propagate and harvest seeds (bear in mind most commercial seeds will only grow for 1 generation) you're much better to get on a course and learn local fruits and herbs and edible plants.

LOOTING - the idea of survival is to survive! - looting is going to result in injuries and death of you / other members of your party. If sit X happens martial law will follow as will shooting looters. Very dangerous advice in my opinion!

I'd ditch KI pills for puri tabs and the bug spray for a couple of water filters (I use those that attach to a camel back)

I'd ditch the blanket for a tarp; a decent fire and scrub can provide all the insulation you need

a dry bag; to keep in your bergen to keep at least 1 set of your clothes dry AT ALL TIMES!

DON'T JUST READ BOOKS AND GO OUT AND EAT PLANTS!!!! you'll mess up and die. Go on a course, or at least learn from somebody with experience!!

Exercise!! - walking once a day or riding to work!? - WHAT!!!!! you should be aiming for a 5-10 mile run every other day, weight training in between. Weekends go hill walking and camping! Experience is the only way to learn!

- may I ask as to your experience?

Its very dangerous to post with "This will summarize all of the needed informations." and provide such information! could you please re-phrase your post? in-experienced people might actually take what you say as solid advice!

remind me to stay away from you and your team if SHTF

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
best strategy = find someone who has everything, gain their trust, then steal their #.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Maybe i missed it while reading it all, but many talk about canned food.
A simple canopener would be great too, you could use your knife for this but you don't want to damage that i guess.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by italiansalad
best strategy = find someone who has everything, gain their trust, then steal their #.

You will not survive relying on others.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
How would you prepair for a global blackout? Like some kinda gigantic solar storm happened and some how disrupted all forms of technology/electricity (basically same thing right?..). Lets say it took a couple years for the world to recover and get the 'power' back on...

Between that time, how would you 'survive?'

Seeing that so many of us are so dependent technology(electricity), (myself included), for communication, cooking, heating, etc. That would mean anything electronic would be kaput.

How would you prepare for a situation like that? (a Global blackout. theoretically speaking. :cool

Heres a basic list of what I would have:
-axe
-matches
- small tarp (a canvas one would do ya one better.)
-one tough bag
-rope
-water container
-water filter
-food. (in general.)

Just so you know, I'm not certified anything! (Besides being a certified flat-water canoeist, which doesn't really count...I don't think)

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Stocking up on canned goods is a good idea if you are going to be stationary - however many will need to be mobile. Canned foods are incredibly heavy. As an alternative, get those vacuum bags, fill will rice, beans, dried fruits, oatmeal, beef jerky, etc. Far lighter and takes up less room.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What about neighbors that do not plan? I have neighbors/friends that do not think anything is going to happen... They wont even talk about it and they are NOT preparing.... I live in a rural area/ pond chickens cow goats... and a garden plus lots of canned goods... we have guns and amunition..

What do you say to a neighbor????? We are planning for family only Remember the story of the ant and grasshopper?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join