It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tamiflu resistant swine flu!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Quebec finds first, Japan finds second cases of Tamiflu-resistant swine flu

The Quebec man, 60, was given the flu antiviral after his son fell ill with the pandemic virus. It's believed the resistance arose in the man and there is no evidence he transmitted resistant virus to anyone else.

"It appears to be an isolated case," said Jirina Vlk, spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Canada.

"Although the strain does not appear to have spread beyond the reported individual case we continue to be vigilant on this front."

Use of Tamiflu to prevent infection - a procedure called prophylaxis - has been seen on occasion to give rise to resistant viruses.

Link to full article
health.lifestyle.yahoo.ca...

This is unreal. I think they knew this would happen to lead more folks into taking a new vaccine.
THIS IS A MAN MADE PANDEMIC PEOPLE. Most folks getting sick recover just fine.
More people die from regular seasonal flu.
DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE!
I fear for this member...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well.. how funny is that.. so... who gets their money back for this one... Hell I am dumb and I could have told them that would be the case... it did nothing for the bird flu victims. whadda bunch of chumps.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Swine Flu Vaccine Should Not Be Given To Children In Schools

* Text size
* Larger
* Smaller

Barbara Loe Fisher
Age of Autism
July 22, 2009
featured stories Swine Flu Vaccine Should Not Be Given To Children In Schools
vaccines

These new vaccines are being fast tracked by the FDA. We are being told they will only be tested for a few weeks on a few hundred children and adults before being given to children in schools in October.

The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) has issued a statement publicly questioning the necessity and safety of administering experimental H1N1 swine flu vaccines to children in schools. NVIC called on the Obama Administration and state Governors to provide evidence to parents that there are vaccine safety screening, recording, monitoring, reporting and vaccine injury compensation mechanisms in place. (HERE)

On April 26, a national public health emergency was declared by officials in the U.S. Departments of Health and Homeland Security. We were told it was necessary to declare a national emergency because people were getting sick from a new swine flu virus that began in Mexico and might cause a deadly influenza pandemic. So far, the vast majority of people who get sick with swine flu have symptoms that are no worse than the regular flu and recover completely.

The declaration of a national public health emergency last spring set a chain of events in motion: some schools were closed, some people were quarantined and drug companies were given billons of tax dollars to create experimental swine flu vaccines. These new vaccines are being fast tracked by the FDA. We are being told they will only be tested for a few weeks on a few hundred children and adults before being given to children in schools in October.

Under federal legislation passed by Congress since 2001, an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) allows drug companies, health officials and anyone who gives experimental vaccines to Americans during a declared public health emergency, to be protected from liability if people get hurt……….to read more go to NVIC.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I thought Tamiflu was developed for Bird flu anyway?

This probably just means they have found out it never did anything against Swine flu in the first place and put this story out to cover it up. lol

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What has been gettin me is, all the crap the" officials keep sayin about the "victims underlying conditions" and that is what really assisted in their deaths. BULLSHAMWOW. well ya won't see me takin dat stuff. youd be better off lickin a urinal somewhere downtown Bronx.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well this confirms what the WHO posted about Lab tests showing Strains of H1 N1 in Denmark and Hong Kong, I think we are about to hit the exponential
growth of this pandemic

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Tamiflu, or its generic name Oseltamivir, is a neurominidase inhibitor. It blocks the action of one of the surface proteins on the virus, preventing the virus from efficiently spreading from cell to cell within the infected host. Resistance to the drug can be caused by a single amino acid change in the neurominidase protein. The resistance rate as reported during trials of the drug was around 1.25%. This means that out of 100 infected people who take the drug, one of them will develop a resistant strain. Almost all seasonal H1N1 strains have now developed resistance to Tamiflu. The vaccine remains a more viable choice for controlling the spread of an influenza outbreak.

I.E. The resistance reported on in this article is unfortunate, but widely expected within the science/medical community.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The vaccine remains a more viable choice for controlling the spread of an influenza outbreak.

if 1 out of every 100 develop a reistant strain then isnt that just going to make things worse?

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

I'm afraid I may not fully understand the question. Feel free to correct me if I'm going off on an unrelated side note:

Tamiflu and the vaccine are not the same thing. Becoming resistant to Tamiflu likely will not effect the efficacy of the vaccine as they work by different mechanisms. The drug Tamiflu will quickly become ineffective against the virus while the vaccine will work regardless.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Another case of tamiflu resistant flu has been found:

La Jolla - A strain of H1N flu that is resistant to treatment with the drug Tamiflu has been discovered near the US-Mexican border, the Pan-American Health Organisation (Paho) said on Monday. "We have found resistance to Tamiflu on the border. We have observed some cases, few to be sure, in El Paso and close to McAllen, Texas," said Maria Teresa Cerqueira, head of the local PAHO office.

Link

It's all a moot point as far as I am concerned because I think I just recovered from it (worst flu I ever had) but doctors here in SA are not bothering to test for it, and even if I had it, I wasn't going to get vaccinated.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by casualburger

Tamiflu and the vaccine are not the same thing. Becoming resistant to Tamiflu likely will not effect the efficacy of the vaccine as they work by different mechanisms. The drug Tamiflu will quickly become ineffective against the virus while the vaccine will work regardless.

Tamiflu and the vaccine are not the same, Tamiflu combats known seasonal Flu, it has only been used to help reduce the symtoms, it cannot cure Swine Flu.

Swine Flu is a new never seen before variant of the original H1N1 virus seen in pigs, hence Swine Flu name.

The concern with Swine Flu is its ability to spread, its ability to survive in countries out of winter time and this could indicate its ability to mutate a resistance to drugs.

There is no guarantee that the vacine will work against Swine Flu, to date its ability to destroy the Flu in humans is untested.

There is also no guarantee that the vacine will remain capable of combating the strain in time.

Swine Flu is set for a stage 2, then a stage 3.

All Pandemics to date killed in large numbers in Stage 2.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by electrodom]

top topics

join