It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I achieve all the understanding of a Freemason even though i am not a member?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hi there,

I have read a little bit about Freemasonry. recently I read "Turning the Hiram Key", by Robert Lomas.

It was a very interesting read indeed. I learned lot here about Freemasonry.

The question I would like to ask is this,

If i go through my whole life NOT being a mason, can I still achieve the same level of wisdom as a mason?

Will my afterlife be the same as that of a mason?

Will I be any of a lesser person by not joining the masons?

I ask this because I have often wondered about joining, but if the same can be achieved by being a non-member then this would answer a lot for me.

Cheers, G.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
If i go through my whole life NOT being a mason, can I still achieve the same level of wisdom as a mason?
Sure. Nowhere in Masonry does it make any claims that its teachings are unique or unavailable to the uninitiated. Being well versed in philosophy, the liberal arts in general, religion, and a variety of other topics, whether learned from Masonic or non-Masonic sources, would put you at our around the same place, if not better.

Sure. Masonry offers no plan for salvation. It's not a replacement for your own religious faith. While in general the Masonic teachings do go along with the belief that there is an afterlife, nowhere in Masonry will you hear it said that the only way to get there is through being a Mason, or anything remotely similar to that. You are directed to be active in your own faith/church/or whatever spiritual beliefs YOU hold.

No. And no Mason would think any less of you.

I ask this because I have often wondered about joining, but if the same can be achieved by being a non-member then this would answer a lot for me.
Depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put into your pursuit for knowledge. Sometimes such things are easier with mentors or guides who've travelled that path before you. If you are good at self-directed, independent study, then there's no reason you shouldn't succeed on your own.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Only the freemasons will ever know fact from fiction when it comes down to claims made by the public.

To really achieve the answer you are looking for, you would have to become a mason, as they are the only one's who can truly explain the difference.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Just become a Mason. I'm sure there is a online application you can fill out or find one of their temples and tell them you want to join.

It isn't hard.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Wrapped Around Your Finger
By: The Police

You consider me the young apprentice
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes.
Hypnotized by you if I should linger
Staring at the ring around your finger.

I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college.
I can see the destiny you sold
turned into a shining band of gold.

I'll be wrapped around your finger.

Mephistopheles is not your name,
But I know what you're up to just the same.
I will listen hard to your tuition,
And you will see it come to it's fruition.

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
Vanish in the air you'll never find me.
I will turn your face to alabaster,
Then you'll find your servant is your master,

Ohhh, you'll be wrapped around my finger
You'll be wrapped around my finger
You'll be wrapped around my finger

You don't need to be a member of any secret societies to learn how to use your intuition. Signs and synchronicities are everywhere every day, for anyone to observe and learn from. The real questions are. Would you rather be a servant to, or a master of all of the knowledge that you gain in the process? Would you rather take someone elses word for it, and be indebted to them for it? Or would you rather KNOW from experience? Who is the true master? The person that takes anothers mans word for everything he "knows". Or the person that KNOWS from first hand experience?

Free Your Mind,
Tom Sawyer

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I agree with what Josh has said, but I'd like to add to his comments.

Freemasonry provides an environment where you can discuss philosophy, liberal arts and a wide variety of esoteric and non-esoteric topics with a huge range of open-minded, non-judgmental people.

Just the sheer number of guys interested in esoteric, alternative and philosophical discussion exposes you to a huge amount of knowledge - more than a lifetime's reading, in my opinion.

So yes, I agree with Josh - you don't have to be a mason to expand your esoteric and philosophical understanding. I guess a good analogy would be to think of it as university versus self-study.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
thanks for these great replies folks.

I have heard many people say on this forum and elsewhere that you get out as much as you put in. I guess this makes sense.

Much of the symbols/symbology is fascinating to say the least. Some are simple but at the same time hugley meaningful. I find this very interesting stuff. Something I definatley want to look into more.

It would be good to find other people or are on a similar level to discuss this stuff in person, but im still young. Maybe the freemasons is something I can look to in the future. who knows!

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Just so you know, there are quite a few Freemasons who don't know much more than the stuff they have to remember in order to become a mason. Some don't have any desire to read or research any deeper than the start. If you learn from masonic literature, then it served it's purpose and even though you weren't a mason, you still got the message. You don't have to join to do that. And as long as you strive to be a good person and help people when you can, then you already are a mason in a way. Yea, it really is that simple. Good luck on you quest for knowledge.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

It would be good to find other people or are on a similar level to discuss this stuff in person, but im still young. Maybe the freemasons is something I can look to in the future. who knows!
I was interested, at least from the conspiracy angle, right out of high school, but didn't feel like I was really ready to join until much later... Once I was married, had a kid, bought a house, I decided I was settled enough in my external life that I could take some time to set my internal house in order. I've learned some valuable lessons through both the Blue Lodge and Scottish Rite degrees, and only wish I had more time to read, research and reflect upon them.

But Network Dude is also right, there are plenty of other members who join for other reasons and are not as interested in the symbology and philosophy. That's OK too. There are numerous Lodges of Research that one can join after becoming a Master Mason. Even correspondence courses you can take...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

By asking if you could achieve all the understanding of a freemason, then you believe that freemasons have some secret understanding that others do not. If you are looking for an understanding to something it is far better understood by looking within yourself first. Ask yourself what it is you are trying to understand and does it really matter? What will you gain with your new understanding? Will you know some secret that everyone else is looking for and greedily hold the contents of it to yourself? You need to step back and ask yourself what it is you are trying to understand.

1Kings 4:29 And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.

I seems to me that you should look elsewhere to gain understanding my friend.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Masonry is just one source of ideology.. "Wisdom" can come through the understanding of any wide variety of sources.. it's more of a way of thinking than knowing. Being a Mason does not impart Wisdom by any means.

Isn't that for you to decide? .. It's a prerequisite of a Mason to believe in .. a God.. it is not however that one must believe in an afterlife.. I for one do not buy into the paradise of heaven .. so I am afraid my hopes for the "afterlife" are far more mundane.. Freemasonry it's self only teaches the lessons of death, not the afterlife, so I am not sure what you were reading.

Course not.. silly thing to say. As I stated before, Masonry is only one path to enlightenment.. there are many groups, organizations, religions that offer the same outlet to better your self.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Freemasonry is not as much about the knowledge you learn but more about searching it out and putting it in to practice. I can respect anyone who wants to improve themself mason or not there are several in my lodge i don't consider to be masons they have went through the motions but have not gained anything from its teaching. Masonry is about improving yourself and helping others. If your interested go to a local lodge and ask for them to tell you what it means to them they will be glad to talk to you and in no way will pressure you to join we do not search out people. Thats why our slogan is "ASK ONE TO BE ONE" only those who come of their own freewill and accord will be allowed to join.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Only the freemasons will ever know fact from fiction when it comes down to claims made by the public.

To really achieve the answer you are looking for, you would have to become a mason, as they are the only one's who can truly explain the difference.

No, they are not...

The answers to your questions are simple; yes, and yes!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by VergeofObscene

Originally posted by Scooby Doo

No, they are not...

The answers to your questions are simple; yes, and yes!

I would have to say Yes, and no.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
the only way to heaven is through god (my personal opinion) and mason or not that does not change masonry allows me to be a better person while i'm here on earth. My time at church and the way i live determines my after life not masonry

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I definetly get some of the biggest smiles from people wearing masonic items. They may or may not realize I know what they are wearing is masonic. I just wonder if they aren't leeching off of masonry, using it as another "club" and just put on an act their whole life or if they genuinely find my antics worth their smile.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i guess different people join the masons for different reasons. I have know a couple of people who have joined the masons and it has really puzzled me as to why.

To this day, it still puzzles me why. These were people with no interest in anything other than scraping their last few bucks together for a pack of smokes or a beer.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

i guess different people join the masons for different reasons. I have know a couple of people who have joined the masons and it has really puzzled me as to why.

Well, I'll give you my reasons...

I went to an all-boys school, and missed that feeling of brotherhood after leaving school, something which is prominent in Masonry.

I thought of joining the Round Table, as my father had done, but since I am also very interested in esoteric knowledge, Freemasonry seemed a better choice, since it offered more than simply the brotherhood aspect.

Lastly, I was just plain curious, I guess.

Well, I've never regretted my decision to join, and I don't see why others with similar interests shouldn't get as much out of it as me.

To this day, it still puzzles me why. These were people with no interest in anything other than scraping their last few bucks together for a pack of smokes or a beer.

I guess it's a lot more fun to share that beer with good friends...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Of course you can achieve all these things you just have to help a fellow creature when in want, cement brotherly love to everyone, but just for enjoyment sake you should go through the rituals then you can talk to other brothers about their experiences and relate to them.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Can I achieve all the understanding of a Freemason even though I am not a member?

Yes. Respect the existence of a Supreme Being with humility. Be kind and considerate to your fellow human beings as often as possible, without detriment to yourself. Learn the arts and sciences. Prefer friendship and fellowship over political and religious polarization. Contemplate Life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join