It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars-Noctus Labyrinthus and Lunar towers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have often viewed pictures of anomalies from the Moon and Mars, on this site, but quite often my eyes see a `dome` and then a `crater`, confusing the hell out of me. So when I found these pictures on the HiRISE section of the NASA site, I thought that I had better get some other opinions.

These pictures seem to show uplifted, shards of rock to me, and I wondered if the removed/censored anomalies of the Moon, could have been remnants of the same kind of thing.

The pics are from `The Walls of Noctus Labyrinthus`.

i904.photobucket.com...

i904.photobucket.com...

i904.photobucket.com...

i904.photobucket.com...

I hope that I have linked this correctly.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
anyway to put those photos on something other than photo bucket? like upload em here? i am DoD and we are not allowed to go to photobucket...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

I went to the HiRISE website, found the first picture.

The other three have me puzzled, I can't find them on the HiRISE menu...they seem to be zoomed in versions of the first one.

There are some good photo experts here on ATS, so I'm anxious to see what they say....

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Interesting pics.

Thanks for posting them.

I don't see anything too unusual about them though?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It looks like light colored sand dunes on a darker surface to me.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49275850e3d6.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Honestly, to me it looks like snow. after a really windy day, as the snow blows in the cold winds, there is a large formation that blocks the remaining snow allowing it to stay where it is, but the wind that blows over its surface freezes it.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
The other three have me puzzled, I can't find them on the HiRISE menu...they seem to be zoomed in versions of the first one.

They are zoomed from the bottom left corner of the first one

Going with sand dunes on this one

>>> mutters to self>>>>Oh Drat that Phage dude beat me to it He must live here >>>> walks away muttering

Sand Dunes do weird things on Barsoom

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It's the weekend.
Too windy for flying.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Oh goody
I am 'chair ridden' for two weeks so will have all next week

I have lots of Barsoomian Dunes

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sorry, I should have stated that the following pics 2,3,4, are zooms of the original.

I just thought that they bore a likeness to the lunar spires/towers. My first thoughts on seeing the lunar examples was that they were uplifts, of a harder more ancient rock, that became semi-molten when the surface was struck and then quickly cooled again...something like a freeze frame of a drop of liquid hitting a surface, and briefly forming a `crown`.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I am not sure about doing the `uploads`, which image link to use etc

I thought that the rules prohibited putting the actual images on the site, because of space and traffic.?

[edit on 19/7/09 by ironbutterflyrusted]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironbutterflyrusted
I just thought that they bore a likeness to the lunar spires/towers.

I noticed you mentioned in the OP you had difficulty with dome/crater visualization. Sometimes rotating the image 90% or flipping it will help.

In the full size image you can see the cliffs and rills with a flat floor with ripples.(dunes) but your right these ones do have a spire look to them. With the winds and sand moving on Mars it seems logical to find wind blown spires somewhere on Mars, just like out here in the Nevada and south-west desert. The wind and time can create some really odd rock structures

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I do usually look at the big picture to get myself orientated with the shadows etc...I will try flipping the images though, thanks for the tip.

I think it was the circular arrangement that threw me.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think that `PHAGE` has shown these to be flat, with a very clear image, how you do that.?

I did notice that the angle of the neighbouring crater was not on the same plane, if these structures were indeed upright, but the image was so intriguing, I thought I would share, and verify with many other eyes.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ironbutterflyrusted

From here
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Better link

[edit on 7/19/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
[edit on 19-7-2009 by ls1cameric]

new topics

top topics