It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Might Stop Prosecuting “Low Priority” Crimes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The city is going to have to start doing triage on what laws it enforces.

freep.com...

Low-priority crimes like breaking and entering might not be prosecuted and the conviction rates will continue to decline if the proposed budget for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office is approved, Prosecutor Kym Worthy told commissioners this morning.
Advertisement

“We can’t even cover our courtrooms anymore,” Worthy said in vehemently disagreeing with the $28-million general fund budget proposed for the prosecutor’s office by Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano. “At some point, if the budget continues to be cut, we’re going to have to start making decisions about what crimes we prosecute.”

The county is facing a $105-million deficit in its 2009-10 budget and has told department heads that 20% has to be cut from the overall budget. The 8% proposed cut to the prosecutor’s office would translate into 54 fewer employees and $6 million less than the prosecutor has asked for the upcoming fiscal year.

Source:
freep.com...]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Honestly I don't see how any of this can be fixed.

There is a point where you are so far in over your head that there is noway to get out of the hole. I think we as a country are to that point.

Detroit no manufacturing businesses leaving houses that cost a few hundred dollars, very high crime rates. Now they are cutting the DA's budget to enforce the law.

This is very disturbing.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
nfortunately this is a self feeding demon, unless something is done soon, soon cities all over the country will have to pick and choose what crimes they can afford to prosecute, and even things like murder with little evidence will be let go because of money, then the criminals will come out and commit even more crimes until eventually it will just be the most obvious and haneous crimes being punished.

how long before we see this on a federal level??

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I see a increasing rate of lead poisoning in Detroit.

I also see a increase in traffic tickets and other money making prosecutions in Detroit as the city tries to increase there revenue.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Detroit is already a war zone unto itself.

As bad as the city is portrayed in the news, it's really much, much worse.

I'm surprised cases are prosecuted there at all. It's a crap-shoot as to whether the police will show up when called.

And the city's massive debt wasn't helped by the series of crooked politicians that have taken advantage of the city's funds over the last 3 decades.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
One of the things that I've heard of before are ticketing and fines. Suspending drivers licences etc. I thought they were going to mention drug offences. Breaking and entering? People used to get shot for that. Last I heard, they could sue the owners if they got hurt.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Does it make a difference?

I mean it's not just detroit. I got my credit card stolen on the internet and some kid in athens greece took my credit card numbers. He took out 500 bucks from my account. I contacted my bank and also had filed a report with the FBI and they all told me " what do you want me to do about it?"

I lost 500 bucks. I am glad he didn't take my social security account information. Yes this kid hacked my college and he didn't just steal my credit card information but also many other studetns and the college didn't care.

The a month ago our mail been coming to us opened. I then found out my letter to me from finicial aid was opened. We reported it to our local post office and they said they will invistigate it. I never heard anything new yet when we get a check in the mail or any finical statement we still get those letters opened.

So hearing that detroit is going to cut back on what crimes/laws they will inforce dosen't surprise me. It's not just detroit. I'ts the Federal government also.

I personally never trusted the legal system in the U.S I am currently a certified paramedic. I don't work as one just took one class that certified me. I am by law required to stop to help people if they need assitance and I plan to not do so due to legal reasons. People can sue you. Even though I would be protected by the good citizen law. I still won't help someone that is in a critical situation. Now this will give more encouragement on doing crimes.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Typically, laws are only put into place to protect the rich from the poor.... Countries with very few laws against the people, have the least crime, obviously.

Good luck to Michigan.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Already in Japan, with its steeply-falling populaion, the authorities have simply been closing down certain towns and telling everyone they have to move to a more consolidated area. Then they can cut the gas, sewer, electric lines to those far-flung places. This makes perfect sense. If some crusty stalwart wants to keep living out in the abandoned zone, that's fine but he won't have access to any publuc services.

It seems like a good solution to me. Just stop services to certan thinly-populated areas and assist people with moving inward. Re-populate the inner areas of the city, start a new development cycle. If you choose to live "off the grid" then fine but its your responsibility. Consolidate the city into a centralized area for greater general effeciency while simultaneously offering the option to opt out.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
It’s apparent that we are going to have a ringside seat to some unbelievable times in the next few years. The police and military can’t keep cities in Iraq under control. Can you imagine total civic breakdown due to events beyond our control? With all the firearms and other arms in this country (US) the military and police will be protecting their own and their bases. This isn’t some flat dessert to keep an eye on. There are places in Michigan that you can wander off and never be seen again. There is that much undeveloped forest land there. Then if you throw in an alien landing, or invasion, a pandemic with PROOF that the government or banker elite are responsible…and a couple more natural disasters or a bigger cataclysm like a pole shift, super-volcano eruption like Yellowstone, extreme biosphere changes including climate!

Yep, if we are still here in 2013, I will not listen to anymore conspiracy theories again. In the meantime, I will fill my bunker with food, spirits, ammo, fishing tackle, night vision, multi-band RF equipment and a recliner on top of it all so I can watch the show from DirecTV!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Detroit, coupled with loosing it's manufacturing base, it's Corporate base, rising crime, high unemployment/foreclosures and probably the single worst city management in the US ...

I think it should be quarantined, put a Bubble over it and forget the craphole of a city exists. I was last there before the economic crash, and I despised it, I can only imagine how it is now. I'm surprised the Middle Class has not had an exodus from the city. Oh wait that already happened, only those who cannot sell their homes are stuck there now.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Already in Japan, with its steeply-falling populaion, the authorities have simply been closing down certain towns and telling everyone they have to move to a more consolidated area. Then they can cut the gas, sewer, electric lines to those far-flung places. This makes perfect sense. If some crusty stalwart wants to keep living out in the abandoned zone, that's fine but he won't have access to any publuc services.

It seems like a good solution to me. Just stop services to certan thinly-populated areas and assist people with moving inward. Re-populate the inner areas of the city, start a new development cycle. If you choose to live "off the grid" then fine but its your responsibility. Consolidate the city into a centralized area for greater general effeciency while simultaneously offering the option to opt out.

Not a good idea. That is letting the government TELL you where you can live .
They can do it because a place is falling apart at first, but then they can do it because they can.

Pretty soon all cities are going to be like Detroit as manufacturing is fleeing the entire country. The next one will be CA as taxes go up so high, they all leave.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
Honestly I don't see how any of this can be fixed.

There is a point where you are so far in over your head that there is noway to get out of the hole. I think we as a country are to that point.

Detroit no manufacturing businesses leaving houses that cost a few hundred dollars, very high crime rates. Now they are cutting the DA's budget to enforce the law.

This is very disturbing.

It has all been in the works for decades.

This was planned, and we are now watching the final act at
the end of the show.

Prepare for some VERY bad times, be ready to go it alone in the
wilderness possibly "on the move at times".

Stay out of site, learn the wild edibles, use some aluminum foil
for a folding solar oven, try to make a fire only when your sure
it is safe.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
There is only one man that we can send into the Quarantine Zone of Detroit to recover Car Manufacturing. That man is........Snake Plissken!

"Welcome to the human race." - Snake Plissken!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is yet another reason why households need to arm themselves. The cops might come to clean up your dead body, but they won't answer a call about a break in unless it's too late to save you.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyBurgers
There is only one man that we can send into the Quarantine Zone of Detroit to recover Car Manufacturing. That man is........Snake Plissken!

"Welcome to the human race." - Snake Plissken!

Good point, and I was just going the mention John Carpenter's "Escape from New York and LA." Wow, it just shows how art imitates life with the decay of Detroit. Detroit is like a bombed out city one would associate with Sarajevo or Beruit, but letting an American city decay and dissolve like that is a tragedy.

Maybe Detroit is a view of America in the future as the recession continues to gather steam and the dollar goes the way of the dodo bird? Do modern Americans have the "cajones," to weather this Hurricane Katrina that is on the horizon for the American way of life? Are we going to swim or let the flood waters wash everything away? We are seeing how the people of America are turning a blind eye to the depravity and dissolution to the one time spearhead of American capitalism. I wouldn't be surprised if Martial Law is declared in Detroit if the civil authorities can't maintain order. Pretty soon you will need an infantry company to travel about in Detroit. The city is a complete and utter disaster and it is not the work of nature but the works of man.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

I have similar doubts as you but you can't have it both ways. You can't expect govt services AND at the same time bemoan the lack of freedom this brings...especially if you live in a far-flung area. In the japanese case, people are given a choice...they can stay right where they are, but the govt will simply cut services to that zone. If they want to grow lettice and get solar panels than all the power to 'em.

But somebody's got to pay for stuff. When you see major cities like Detroit saying they don't have enough cash to prosecute crimes, then something is seriously wrong. There's probably some pork that can be cut, but assuming there isn't, I don't see urban consolidation as a bad answer. A lot of the inner city infrastructure can be reconstructed, people can ride trains and trams, etc. And in Detroit's case, some of those houses are up on ebay for like $50 bucks. Its not like moving from there to city apartment is any great loss. And if you absolutely want to stay, then fine, nobody's forcing you but you've got to pay for your own stuff. Since Detroit is a rather sprawling place full of almost-empty onceburbs, this makes sense.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
hmm.......wait to all those w/ expired unemployment benefits hit de streets....its gonna be like the wild wild west

maybe job opportunities in law enforcement or private security contracting opening up in a large way to prepare for this or at least for wealthy people or business to hire

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

I actually read an article on CNN last night talking about people who have had benefits expire... some had been on it for over a year. According to CNN's Stats 500,000 people will expire benefits in August alone. It should make for an interesting 2nd and 3rd Q.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I disagree.
Putting the multitude of big brother-esque, Constitutional, pursuit of happiness type issues aside,
here's why.

Gas and electric are not services.

In my far flung neck of the woods, we do not have sewer service, nor water for that matter.
Interestingly enough, the county continually attempts to force these services upon us, although we keep voting down the referendums.
You see, they can not tax us on "services" that they don't provide.
We much prefer our wells and septic tanks.

Who do you propose oversees the transportation of individuals fron the inner city out to the abandoned areas where food production occurs?
What effect would cutting "services" to farm lands have on food production? Availibility? Price? Quality?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join