It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A theory I thought of about the afterlife.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I was bored one day and I thought about a logical way to believe in an afterlife. I am an atheist though this is still a logical way of thinking in my opinion.

Ok let me start, you know how some people believe in heaven and hell. I have a logical way to explain this. They say that you lead a good life and don't sin so you go to heaven and if you do the opposite then you go to hell. Well think about this ok, when your going through life you lead a good life and have basically a happy life and you are content with what you have done, your conscious is guilt free.

When you die your mind might and might not go away forever. If the soul exists then thats the only way my theory could be possible. When you die and you have done what I mentioned above your mind is happy therefore you kind of have a good dream as everyone knows your dreams are whatever you want them to be so your "heaven" would be a dream world that you control.

Has anyone noticed you cant really make anything happen in a nightmare its like its already planned and nothing you can do about it. Its not a nightmare as it would be if you had a bad life and have a guilty conscious when you died that would create the "hell" you would experience.

Tell me what you think.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I do not believe in after life. What you said about doing good deeds in this life so that you go to heaven is right though in terms of religion. Hinduism and Buddhism have this concept of Karma, where in the good deeds of this life makes a person go onto to a better after-life.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I had the same argument with my wife a couple of nights ago, she was worried about dying , she asked my was I scared of dying?

I said no , if fact I'm looking forward to it, not that I'm going to hurry it along .

WE argued about the afterlife , she believes that once your body dies your mind /soul/ spirit/ consciousness just evaporates into nothingness.
I believe otherwise, I expalined that I started 'Lucid dreaming' a great way to control your dreams, like having a nightmare , that you think you can't control , but in truth you can, if you realise it is just a dream.

My favourite I was fighting an Ice giant , on a set of stairs in an estate next to where I used to live, he had hordes of demons about his feet and he was trying to hurt / kill / destroy me, I was scared but then I realised it was a dream, grew my fist to a huge size and promptly punched him in the knackers, needless to say he went down and all his summoned horde disappeared.

Then I moved on to Astral Projection, some say it doesn't exist, I say it does, its all about what you believe, there are loads of info on the net, lots of books and paraphania, I AP quite a lot , which changed my fear of dying into one of expectancy. I found out that your spirit continues after your body expires, you make your own heaven or hell, its like a constant dream state that you have total control over, you can stay here and explore the world or travel further afield to the stars and beyond, or simply exist in your own dream world.

Its all about your choice in what to believe ir disbelieve. IMO.

Mind you saying all that , only when you die for real , and finally will any of us really know the real truth.

[edit on 17/7/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

I would love to believe what you said. Do you know its true. That sounds like something I can believe in.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I dont believe in afterlife either one question bothers me. Answer where we were before we existed and ill no longer question human life.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
reply to post by DataWraith

I would love to believe what you said. Do you know its true. That sounds like something I can believe in.

Try and see if you can Lucid Dream , its all about relaxing and taking control of your dreams , or at least realising whilst your dreaming that you ARE dreaming, then you can move onto AP, like I said some people believe , some don't, its what you experience that makes the choice for you.
Don't be told what is by other people, learn from your own experience.

There are more people out there that are more experienced than I am or ever will be, as for the what were we before question? Quite pertinent.

I think that we were something different before , energy whatever , but sometimes we don't remember what or who we were for the simple reason we didn't like who we were., we made mistakes we weren't happy with, so we chose to forget, its like starting a clean slate, you start over fresh , unsullied, but this world is seemingliy tainted, like a challenge that you can't win.
You keep trying but the odds are stacked against you no matter what you do, My advice is be the best person you can be, be nice and polite to others, as you wish to be treated, if they offend you, just forgive them even if its mentally and move on, after all you can't change them can you?

Just be yourself , is all the advice I can give you, learn from your own experiences, tell others what you have learned and if they don't believe you, just say " ok , I know what I believe , you have to find your own answers" and leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by lycanlance
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

I dont believe in afterlife either one question bothers me. Answer where we were before we existed and ill no longer question human life.

My answer on the before-life is just a theory too of course since no one living can really answer that one.

Just as children are physically born into this world so are children born in spirit. There is the coming together of 2 spirits or souls who are old and wise enough to create new life, I believe beings must do this in full awareness and full knowledge, it probably isn't something like doing it doggy style and having a baby 9 months later. Such a newborn child spirit is probably formless and shapeless and nothing more than an awareness, basically just a sensor which can receive input but can't do much with it.

Anyway the child spirit grows and at some point will manifest into this reality we call life, probably first as an insect or animal which don't have the full repertoire of movements which human beings have. After several incarnations of becoming ever more complicated lifeforms, the child spirit might finally become human and eventually take up residence in some heaven maybe after finding another spirit to partner with. In this way male spirit and female spirit interact with each other for infinity.

If a soul exists I imagine it is like an eternal house to a spirit, where all memories are held, each room representing a previous incarnation. It might be the house comes into existence during the creation process of a child spirit, it might also be something "built" by the parent spirits (or perhaps family/soul group) or it might be like abandoned houses where a spirit once dwelled but moved on to something else.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thats actually a pretty good theory you got there. Alot of peoples worse fear is not being in control of their life. And many people strive for just that. To have control over everything that happens. S&F For you!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lycanlance

every thing that has existed, does exist and will exist is here in one way or form. a house doesn't exist before its built but the materials that its made from are already around. the universe wastes nothing as nothing can truly be destroyed only changed from one state to another. so what human life is, is the acumulation of material to function as a whole each cell is a single life form that cannot function on its own. we are the collective consceinceness of a hive of cell that are join into a single being and when we die we return to our base components and the cycle starts over again.

as for were the material we are made comes from, it would be the big bang which caused thing to exist. string theory state that all matter is a form of energy wave and its vibrations determine what properties it has. the theory is also that the big bang is the result of two fluctuating parrellel dimentions coliding and the resulting energy brings life to these the strings (like hitting a tuneing fork)

as for the spiritual side of thing i don't believe in the biblical story but in the acient greek one that, in the beging there was the void of space and from this void sprang forth the first primordial gods (Eros and Nyx), Eros (god of love and creation) forged the cosmos from the remains of his birth (it discribes Eros as being born from an egg but if Eros was born from the big bang than the unformed matter and engery is what he used). the story goes on from there but thats the basic of the creation myth.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

thanks it took alot of thinking and eliminating other impossible things.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RokNinja

wow I would just love to know the truth wouldnt you. I would be so happy to find out where life will end up and where it began.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I like hearing about all of these theories. they make me want to search for wat the actual truth is. I would love to know the truth of life and where we originated from.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I like hearing about all of these theories. they make me want to search for wat the actual truth is. I would love to know the truth of life and where we originated from.

you should, look for the answers is part of the process. if the answers were given to us then we'd know the answer but not understand it. listen to every point of veiw and think about it. decide on what you beleve from what you understand, not what your told.

although there is only one right answer it has billions of interpritations and the truth lies some were in the middle.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

But i have a question do you think there is a hell or any bad place we go to for not leading our lives a certain way?

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

no, i don't belive in a hell or heaven that rewards or punishes you for not live a certian way of life. i do however belive in karma and that the universe balances every action to maintain an equilibrim.

but its not a matter of punishing bad behaviour but one of action and reaction if your an asshole to everyone they'll be an asshole to you.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I was an "atheist" for about 18 years following the untimely death of my father. He died when I was 17, about a week before my 18th birthday, and it infuriated me. What infuriated me even more was the outpouring of religious sentiment all around me — I hated the platitudes and condolences and the religious reassurances coming from people who I knew were hypocrites.

I hated God most of all, which is what most professed atheists do — they don't truly live their lives without religion, they actually fill their lives with hatred of God and all things religious. Which is not true atheism. Instead, it's just another kind of theism that I call God Hating. God haters thrive on religion, they couldn't live without it.

Anyway, in my mid-thirties, I got myself into a pretty dire situation that could have easily resulted in my "sleeping with the fishes," if you get my drift. For about 2 years, I lived off the grid and below the radar, no paper trails, pretty much hand-to-mouth survival.

It was during this ordeal that I experienced a series of peculiar encounters and twists of fate that somehow sustained me. At the time, I called them coincidence... really, really bizarre coincidence. Each coincidence steered me away from catastrophe and ultimately led me back to a normal life.

It wasn't until afterwards, when I reviewed the whole nightmarish experience, that I realized something had intervened in my life, snatching me from the jaws of death not once but many times, in ways that I couldn't logically explain.

No, I didn't immediately turn into a believer.

But I did remember that, when things were at their worst, I had caught myself praying under my breath. It came automatically, prayers like "Just get me out of this one. Please." The sort of stuff you mutter when everything is going wrong, when you've reached the end of your rope — you're not praying to anyone or anything, you're just kind of beseeching The Void, right.

That's when I realized that every time I had "prayed," a bizarre "coincidence" would follow. I didn't pray for anything specifically, I simply acknowledged that I was all out of ideas, and that's when something would happen.

Well, after that realization, I decided to "test" this phenomenon by uttering a short burst of prayer and then watching for a "coincidence"... But nothing happened. It then occurred to me that the prayer had to be a heartfelt need, not merely a wish. In fact, it didn't seem to work at all when I asked for things and material gain — it only seemed to work when I gave up hope, and when I acknowledged that a situation was beyond my control.

That's when something would happen.

So, I found myself in the unenviable position of being an "atheist" who secretly prayed, and whose prayers were answered in a predictable fashion. Answered by who or what I didn't know, and I didn't really want to think about it.

It was at this point that I knew I had to reassess my half-assed, hypocritical "atheism" and broaden my mind on the subject of spirituality in general and of prayer specifically. Over the years that followed, I came to the conclusion that there was much more wisdom to be gained in the study of spirituality than in the study of the very scant evidence against spirituality.

For one thing, I accept that the Universe is far too mysterious a place for me to dismiss the possibility of a God or an Afterlife or the power of Prayer. There is simply no Scientific evidence to disprove their existence, and lack of evidence does not prove anything.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
What, then, would become of a person who lived a life of sin and debauchery, and enjoyed every minute of it, regretting nothing?

Seems to me like hedonism would make for a more enjoyable afterlife than eternal prayer and abstinence.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I believe in that kind of karma but I dont believe in the kind were if you make fun of someone fat you'll end up fat. Stupid things like that are not true because there are so many people that havent turned fat and never will for making fun of fat people lol. I'm not fat just saying i have made my jokes i weigh 134 pounds.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I do not believe in god and never will. I did for the first 14 years of my life. and it got me NO WHERE. When i quit believing then things got better i didnt worry as much i wasnt feeling guilty all the time. I felt right for not believing and if god was real then he could just not create atheist's or simply not give us the ability to quit religion.

Just because there is no evidence doesnt mean its not there i know that but that also doesnt mean it is there. no evidence is more proof of something not being there then something being there. I don't want to hear about "god" because i dont believe thats real at all. I do however think their could be an energy type thing that keeps things in order. NOT GOD.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Parallelogram

Thats his choice. The world will set things in order. Not GOD. but some energy or law would set him in order. Just because people are bad doesnt mean they would have to be punished and just because someone is good doesnt mean they have to be rewarded.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join