It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Care Bill will Outlaw Private Insurance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
First I will start off with the article.

It's Not an Option

It didn't take long to run into an "uh-oh" moment when reading the House's "health care for all Americans" bill. Right there on Page 16 is a provision making individual private medical insurance illegal.

When we first saw the paragraph Tuesday, just after the 1,018-page document was released, we thought we surely must be misreading it. So we sought help from the House Ways and Means Committee.

It turns out we were right: The provision would indeed outlaw individual private coverage. Under the Orwellian header of "Protecting The Choice To Keep Current Coverage," the "Limitation On New Enrollment" section of the bill clearly states:

"Except as provided in this paragraph, the individual health insurance issuer offering such coverage does not enroll any individual in such coverage if the first effective date of coverage is on or after the first day" of the year the legislation becomes law.

So we can all keep our coverage, just as promised — with, of course, exceptions: Those who currently have private individual coverage won't be able to change it. Nor will those who leave a company to work for themselves be free to buy individual plans from private carriers.

So there you have it folks, the current house version of the bill is a Trojan horse that is going to kill the private medical industry.

Now, whether this changes or not we will see. But as it is looking, the only "choice" you are going to have if this current bill passes is to either keep your current health insurance or government insurance.

Are there any questions left on why they want to rush to shove this down our throats?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
As I wrote in a previous thread. Congress needs to stop and take a breath. There is far to many pitfalls in this bill for anyone to discover in the short span of time they are alloting for passage. The bill as written looks to me as a sure way to ensure the birth of black market medical care. I would urge everyone to write or call their congressperson and have them slow down. Give this monumental bill a COMPLETE read!! If it doesn't worry you,I would question your sanity!!

We are being rail roaded!!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by daddyroo45]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

That we are. This is proof of that.

The only "choice" that we are going to presented is the "choice" we want you to have.

I'll be sure to call my congress critters up today and try to get them to talk some sanity into their colleagues. I know my people won't vote for this, but they are in the minority.

The way it is looking though we are about to witness another BOHICA moment.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

It's nice to see that the US is well on it's way to joining the rest of civilized society and making healthcare a right, not a privlege.

Now I'm off to my GP to get a mole removed, for free.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Not laughing at you. Just the thought that people would think of going to the doctor as a free service.

It is not free. In one way or another you are paying for it with higher prices, taxes, fees, surcharges, or what ever other fancy word politicians want to call it.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

For your sake I hope it's not cancerous, because from what I hear it takes quite a long time to recieve the necessary, life saving services and surgeries in your "civilized society"...you might have to get in a very long line.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well i have to say: GOOD FOR YOU!
Its not like the government will provide medical care.. They will insure it.. and take insurance companies out of health business.. BIG DEAL

Its not like they will go down.. they have other services you know? More where rape their clients

If government would provide healthcare services and excluding other players on that field, i would be with you.. But like this? With this, probably you will pay less for your insurance...

BUT, i agree that i dont see the benefit of excluding private insurance.. The reason i can see for this, is political: if both prevailed, people would be mad for having to pay twice if they wanted (public + private insurance), as public seems mandatory..

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

It's nice to see that the US is well on it's way to joining the rest of civilized society and making healthcare a right, not a privlege.

Right, because America is such a barbaric nation supplying the UN with a quarter of its budget, giving aid to African Countries, providing affordable housing and food for people that don't want to work. Providing illegal immigrants with the more benefits than legal citizens.

It would be great when the rest of the world comes out of the stone ages and quits relying on other people to do stuff for them.

Nope that is paid for off the backs of other people and your taxes.

One more thing, there is nothing "civilized" about the government deciding what kind of health care choices you can have. Which in this case, in the current form, it's what the government decides for you.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
One more thing, there is nothing "civilized" about the government deciding what kind of health care choices you can have. Which in this case, in the current form, it's what the government decides for you.

I dont know where you get the idea that the government will decide what medical treatment you will have

In those "civilized" countries (not MY words), its doctors who decide.. There is no shady character there telling "hey give this guy this".. There is no legislation there saying if patient A has this then treat him with B or else.. Doctors are free to treat their patients.. The only thing similar here was a campaign for people to buy "white label" farmacs, as they are cheaper and consequently cheaper for the government (most of our farmacs are co-financed by the state)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

Well i have to say: GOOD FOR YOU!
Its not like the government will provide medical care.. They will insure it.. and take insurance companies out of health business.. BIG DEAL

You mean the government that is ran by special interest is going to take care of health insurance, and that is a "big deal".

This bill is a Trojan horse the government is going to screw things up so bad that they are going to come in and bankrupt the hospitals and then the next thing you know, dum dum dum... socialized medicine.

You have to start paying attention to these peoples actions not their words, and every single one of them want a single payer system, which is socialized medicine.

probably you will pay less for your insurance...

How is getting super high tax increases "paying less"?

The logic is completely absent. Somebody has to pay for it. That comes through taxes. So what happens is I don't get a choice in my health care it's either what I currently have or the government option.

What if the private insurance drops me? Yep I'm out of insurance and somebody has to pay for the insurance that the government is going to FORCE me to have. Which means higher taxes.

There is nothing "good" about this, this is all about control.

But I'll state this again. America is evil in all ways bombing countries killing millions of innocent civilians staging coups and disrupting other countries, oh but when it comes to health care they are everything anybody could want.

It is real apparent the hate the world feels towards us is nothing more than envy and jealousy.

I personally like what little freedom I have left and I would like more of it, and this bill is going to take more of what little freedom I have left away.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy

For your sake I hope it's not cancerous, because from what I hear it takes quite a long time to recieve the necessary, life saving services and surgeries in your "civilized society"...you might have to get in a very long line.

For the vast majority of people what you are hearing is wrong..and for the minority who have troubles they always have the option of private healthcare if they wish.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

The reason why is because AMERICA IS AMERICA, it isn't France, it isn't some country in Europe, it isn't Cuba.

Things are way different over here than they are every where else around the globe.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

For the vast majority of people what you are hearing is wrong..and for the minority who have troubles they always have the option of private healthcare if they wish.

Yea and this bill in its current form is going to do away with private insurance. That is what the OP is about.

The only choice in private insurance you will have is what you currently have. You won't be able to switch providers. If your insurance company drops you your only choice will be government insurance.

Great even the UK is going to have more choice in Health Care than America if this bill passes.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

First see what you pay:
TAXES + PRIVATE INSURANCE = X

Then see what you could:
TAXES + ADDED TAXES = Y

It is possible that Y is less than X, given the private insurance prices seem inflated..

P.S. - Why doenst ATS support "

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by Solomons

Yea and this bill in its current form is going to do away with private insurance. That is what the OP is about.

The only choice in private insurance you will have is what you currently have. You won't be able to switch providers. If your insurance company drops you your only choice will be government insurance.

Great even the UK is going to have more choice in Health Care than America if this bill passes.

You really dont understand europe model.. He means that ANYONE can go to a private hospital.. you DONT NEED insurance to go there!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

Well your making this really black or white!
Try making calculations..
First see what you pay:

TAXES + PRIVATE INSURANCE = X

Then see what you could:

TAXES + ADDED TAXES = Y

It is possible that Y

No what is going to happen is the "rich" are going to get saddled with most of the burden which is going to create even more job loss which is in turn going to cause all taxes on everything to get raised.

Which means the 2400 a year I pay a year for my health insurance will be cheap compared to the extra 4400 I'm going to pay in taxes.

It is a black and white issue. Look at states like California and New York, they are taxing the rich heavily, they are leaving the state. When you raise taxes on the rich the rich are going to move to more wealth friendly countries. It's proven that is what happens.

Which leaves the rest of the non "rich" to foot the bill. Which means our quality of life deteriorates.

Then on top of that, there will be no "choice".

Nobody looks at the long term effects of these things, and when people do its always, oh you don't care about the people and a bunch of other BS.

Tell me how is it cheaper when I'm FORCED to have insurance, because if I don't the government is going to fine me, and paying higher taxes?

It ends up being more expensive.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Picao84

I have made those calculations a long time ago.

I personally would rather pay taxes to a single payer system and at least get some kind of health care than pay my $900+ a mo. to an HMO that denies us treatment, huge copays, and bloated at the top.

The CEO of my HMO just got a multimillion dollar bonus.

The greed and corruption of the US "health for profit" system brought this bill on themselves.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The greed and corruption of the US "health for profit" system brought this bill on themselves.

No the people of America has brought this upon themselves by continuing to vote in self serving politicians.

And that 900 dollars a month you pay now will be pennies compared to the taxes you are going to pay.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is not surprising. In fact to me it is downright scary.

The scariest part is the fact that Obama is pushing this so darned hard to pass by a certain date and gets mad when he thinks it won't. What's the big rush?? What else is hidden in there so well or worded so vaguely they want pushed through. I have had trust issues with most politicians but have never felt the mistrust I feel for Obama and his cronies, especially with this. Besides, I don't want someone else making my health care decisions for me. It's hard enough fighting with my own insurance company, but with this,

And, how many jobs will closing down private insurers save?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sorry but dont the companies in USA pay already their workers insurance??

At least that was one of the BIG THINGS promoted about living in USA..

If it IS like this.. whats the difference? Companies will still have to pay.. and LOWER..

And dont tell ME i dont see things on the all perspective.. Im a Urban and Regional Planner (NO its not only things like urban design).. I think about those stuff everyday.. Its just that the european model IS working..

Beside, companies will ALWAYS move to places where labour is cheaper.. With that justification, to maintain jobs on USA you would advocate doing the same stuff as China, like putting children working..

Now its me who says you have to move into the 21st century.. Where the value is NOT on things like "context costs", but on "context potential", like the qualification of human resources and HEALTH.. a strong, healthy and educated population is what attracts the jobs THAT MATTER and that enrich a country!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join