It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ats be renamed `the doomsday website`?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The title was not a joke, i honestly think this website should be renamed `the end is nigh`

Not a day goes by without some theory of the world coming to an end, earthquake, comet, volcano, solar storm, world war 3, you name it.

Its as if there are people on here who GENUINELY want a world war 3, or GENUINELY want the world to end!

They must get up in the morning, hide under the bed, turn on the laptop and type up a doomsday thread,then go back under the bed!

Or so it seems.

My question is, why cant they give it a rest, why is there ALWAYS a new doomsday date every single week, ive been viewing ats on and off for 3 years now and ive seen more `the end is nigh` threads than ive had hot dinners!

There is ALWAYS a threat of comets volcanos earthquakes etc its called one of the risks of being on earth.... why cant people just stop worrying and attempt to get on with life??

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by plejarenlyran

ATS:
Another
Terrifying
Scenario

*Updated daily for your reading pleasure.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by plejarenlyran

Ohhh come on now.....

You know this is ATS and you are not doing it justice by only naming those threads that seem a bit far fetched.
I agree with you that we seem to have a lot of pending doom lately but it's the research behind these stories by the more intelligent members of this great society that have my interest.
I think it's wonderful to read a clear and reasonable explanation in a thread were everybody is talking doom...

Recent example: Take a look at the sunspot/pending doom threads and try and find a reply by Phage....that guy cracks me up every time with his plane and simple logic....

Peace

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'd comment but the swine flu/solar flare/Obama NWO/Illuminati just showed up at my front door and I'm currently stuck underneath my bed.

And my foil hat just fell off. . . -sob-

[edit on 6-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
hhmm, seems to me that this website deals with one heck of alot more than doomsday theories.

So no, my vote goes for keeping the ATS name, as it's the name of the site
(and it's not a doomsday site, that just happens to be a subject in many peoples minds as we approach 2012, stands to reason that there's going to be many posts on the matter) And there is a 2012 section, recently dedicated to such a subject.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This place reminds me of the national enquirer more then anything.
Look at all the insane Micheal Jackson threads lately.

Edit to add www.abovetopsecret.com...
I rest my case.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
IT is always coming.....sooner or later, it is going to arrive!

Get your head around that and it is easy to understand why some of us like to have some kind of idea 'when' exactly IT is going to arrive!!!!!

Teaching my youngest about dinosaurs, she wanted to know why they became extinct and we looked at Immanuel Velikovsky's theories and also the discoveries of hundreds of feet high pile of mammoth,rhino, etc remains in norther Siberia and the possible cause.

Now those mammoths, rhinos, etc were quietly chewing their dinner when IT arrived!

I'd like a little prior warning and ATS provides the menu and also the background to what is happening...possible, actually, in theory and in fantasy, anywhere and anytime!

This is not a doomsday site, but a let's keep our eyes peeled and keep checking over the parapet site!!!

I love it!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by plejarenlyran
Its as if there are people on here who GENUINELY want a world war 3, or GENUINELY want the world to end!

Just because you talk about it doesn't mean you want it. In fact, generally the opposite is true. People talk about it to warn others so as to help them and to possibly educate people so these things can be stopped or mitigated.

Oh .... 'the Doomsday Website'?? How about TEOTWAWKI website?
It's got a better ring to it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I disagree with your thread to be honest, for every nutter on the site there is ten level headed people that are willing to debate even the most far fetched threads.
I come to ats to debate everything from current news to ancient civilizations and think there is a lot more to the site than the end is nigh rubbish, I think the reason for the rise in 2012, NWO, Swine Flu, Solar Flare threads is the fact that the majority of the western world is not happy with the lives they are leading and are hoping for devine or alien intervention to wipe the slate clean and start a fresh globally. Some observers say that people on the site seem to want the end of the world to happen however I dont think they do, I think they want the world as we know it to end and something new and better to begin.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Knowledge is power. The more you know the more you are able to control your own life and destiny. Those who wish to control us will also be aware of this.
It stands to reason that those in power will try to suppress the knowledge so they can continue staying in power. You cannot fuly destroy something but you can marginalize it by controling the flow of information.

Sites like ATS which pull the stories out in the open are very much neccessary, but such limited control means that fringe theories, out-there-ideas, speculations and the paranormal will also appear here.
Some doomsdays will not come, some might come. We do not know for sure.

Reading about it or thinking about it does not mean we are not living our lives, it actually means we are living more then other people, more knowledge, more options, more responsibility.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst, as they say.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You do realize it's a conspiracy site right? All the things you mentioned are someones favorite conspiracy so why complain? People come on here to discuss and debunk the doomsday theories. What if one was true and someone on here is trying to help? You never know....I like the title of the site the way it is. I suggest if you dont like it and what is on here find one that suits you otherwise deal with some of the doom and gloom on here. Also the site has MANY different forums that do not discuss doom and gloom. You might want to look at some of those forums

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Oh, I think ATS is one of the more optimistic sites, where we can drag these hysterical doomsday conspiracies under a hot spotlight and watch them evaporate. Besides, ATS isn't all about doomsday scenarios and schizophrenic paranoia — this is one of the few places where I actually feel uplifted on a regular basis.

For pure, unadulterated doomsday schlock, try The Science Channel on cable or Coast to Coast AM on radio... They're responsible for more fear-mongering-for-profit than Al Gore.

Well almost as much as Al Gore.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I like it just the way it is, with a few exceptions.

I like being able to see all that is, engage my mid-level BS filter, perhaps employ the high-level filter for some more extreme threads.

I also admit that I am addicted to "doom". No, I don't want it to happen, and I'd be thrilled that if 10 years from now my friends got to pelt me with a healthy ribbing of "I told you so."

I don't consider myself a "doomer", though, merely a person who is capable of perceiving patterns, and acting upon the probability of them -- along the lines of preparing for the "enemy's" capabilities rather than their perceived intentions. This plays heavily into our preparedness and survival plans, and we don't acquire supplies nor create systems for things we can't affect -- i.e. asteroid impact, etc. etc.

There seem to be a wealth of natural as well as man-made disasters probable, and I think it's useful for many of us to discuss the possibilities, and the responses to these situations.

I treasure this site, consider much of our offerings, discard other things, but enjoy the mental stimulations always, and until "fringe" news becomes mainstream, this place's name will be apt, IMO.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
What if one was true and someone on here is trying to help? You never know....

I don't see it as a help when people may be forced into undue panic... that is, those who 'believe'.

There hasn't been one doomsday thread that has come true yet. Not one! Yet were told to believe the next one... just in case? Surely you can see the pattern that emerges from all this nonsense?

If the day truly comes when there will be some type of catastrophe, most will not believe simply due to all the false alarms previously... so doomsday threads have the potential to work in the opposite manner to what the author may intend. In essence, they trivialize and desensitize.

Therefore I feel far more care should be taken in posting them. Perhaps they should be written as personal opinion as opposed to being passed off as facts punctuated by an over zealous use of exclamation points?

It's a shame that so many children read "Chicken Little" and "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" yet the moral to the story still eludes them... even as apparent adults.

It's called Dartboard Doomsaying and mostly serves as a simple attention seeking device.

IRM

[edit on 6/7/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Absolutely not. And I'll tell you why.

Some of us have solutions Some of us have ideas, paradigm shifts even, that will thwart the evil in this world and bring this world to manifest as heaven.

So though some bring "doom and gloom..." Others bring hope and action. It takes all kinds.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I enjoy reading the threads about all the end is neer stuff,the reptilian hordes,little lights above an air port that are our space brothers..makes me realize I not as insane as I think..

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

IRM! I love your avatar btw...Anyways I get what you are saying. I just personally believe you never know. It's like the boy who cried wolf (which u mentioned) one day something will be true
I take everything in regards to "omg the world is going to end on (insert date)" with a grain of salt. I am prepared for it to happen one day but ONE DAY not right now or any date anyone has said. I keep those dates in the back of my head but I dont dwell on it. I too think it would be much better if people said it was their opinion and not a fact. Like you said none of these have ever come to pass. I also think some people are all about doomsday prophecies and will do and say anything to get people to believe them.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think that with the overwhelming negativity that some countries are facing, there are bound to be people that see the worst and fear the worst.

reply to post by Amaterasu

I know we disagree on certain issues, but that was a great post.
I second that.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by atlasastro]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

IRM! I love your avatar btw...Anyways I get what you are saying. I just personally believe you never know.

We don't know... but life is at it's richest when out energy isn't wasted on fear IMHO...

BTW... I like your avatar too. It's cute & cheeky!

It's a completely different story if people are offering solutions and hope! I don't think the types of threads and attitudes you are alluding to qualify as 'doomsaying'.

IRM

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

IRM! I love your avatar btw...Anyways I get what you are saying. I just personally believe you never know.

We don't know... but life is at it's richest when out energy isn't wasted on fear IMHO...

BTW... I like your avatar too. It's cute & cheeky!

It's a completely different story if people are offering solutions and hope! I don't think the types of threads and attitudes your are alluding to qualify as 'doomsaying'.

IRM

LOL my avatar is from an 80's party about a month ago..lol

Yes it is different when one tries to offer help and suggestions instead of the alternative. I just dont get all excited over these types of threads. There are quite a bit and one in particular that I have read on and off has gotten way too out there even for me

top topics

<<   2 >>

join