It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoker decides to grow his own tobacco

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm a Non Smoker myself so I don't have a opinion on this smoking thing other then DON"T BLOW IT IN MY FACE...LOL.
Here in Tennessee they grow tobacco, I've stopped and picked a few leaf's, took them home died them and let my smoking family members try it.
Tobacco without all the additives is nearly impossible to smoke... they said it was too harsh and they all choked on it... So if your growing your own tobacco your in for a big surpise when you light your first one....

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I am a smoker and I recently got laid off from my job, so I decided to switch from packaged cigarettes to rolling my own in order to save money. It costs me roughly $10 a week now instead of $40 a week.I noticed within a week a huge difference in my stamina, breathing, and cravings. Now that they passed this law I'm very happy that I switched, because I have a feeling the price will rise even more.

About statistics that say smoking causes lung cancer... I dont really believe it, you can make statistics say just about anything you want; Native Americans smoked tobacco for thousands of years and used it in rituals and such. If anything it's the chemicals that are bad not the tobacco itself. Cancer is such a common problem it's hard to say what causes it most of the time.

Finally, I own quite a bit of land so I think next year I will look into growing some for my personal use; I already have a patch of potatoes growing and if tobacco is easier to grow than I don't know what else is.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
reply to post by XXXN3O

Are you saying that i may be onto something here?? Its puzzled me for a while. I can understand why trying to find information on the net to validate this would be somewhat difficult.

I will follow my theory a little closer from now on.

Thankyou for that input, i can imagine you may recieve some critism from others on your post, but u get a star from me.

External box thinking, I like it !!

Another thing as well just to try and back it up a little.

Look at other addictions for example alchohol, if you are a chronic addict if you do not get a regular intake you die from the effects of withdrawal. Same with many illegal drugs as well.

Its quite messed up actually because the taxes are increasing massively and making smokers poor. When people stop either from choice, poverty or an outright ban most will not have money for healthcare when they need it when it was caused by policies in the first place.

Read this, I managed to find something along similar lines

baabmallya.sulekha.com...

The association is more than just casual – development of cancer within a few months of eschewing cigarette smoking.

Over a period of 4 years, a total of 312 cases were treated for carcinoma of pulmonary origin: of this number, 182 patients had quit smoking within five to fifteen months prior to their being diagnosed with lung cancer. Of the 182 patients 142 were male and 40 were females, with ages ranged between 47 to 74.

Whats your theory?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
I worked in pre clinical studies and whether you believe this is entirely up to you as I cannot provide facts from the net on this.

what, not even the actual study?

Guess which ones had a higher cancer rate?

Smokers who had quit.

how big was the study? what were the ages of the subjects? what range of occupations were involved? how long a period was the study conducted over? what exactly was the study looking for/at? who carried it out?

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

I worked in pre clinical studies and whether you believe this is entirely up to you as I cannot provide facts from the net on this.

what, not even the actual study?

Guess which ones had a higher cancer rate?

Smokers who had quit.

how big was the study? what were the ages of the subjects? what range of occupations were involved? how long a period was the study conducted over? what exactly was the study looking for/at? who carried it out?

Read the post above for a similar study.

I did not carry the study out, I was told about it during my time at a company.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

with ages ranged between 47 to 74.

Whats your theory?

knowing men, guy started coughing up blood, gave up smoking, still coughing up blood, went to the doctor.

men don't seek medical advise quickly enough which, given the small minority of women involved and the age ranges, makes this a seriously flawed study if it's trying to show anything besides men not going to the doc often enough.

[edit on 29/6/09 by pieman]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
huh, very interesting.

never even thought of growing your own tobacco.

watch the black market blow up in the new "illegal tobacco trade"...gunna make the marijuana market look like old school beta tapes going outta style...well not really, but you know...

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

with ages ranged between 47 to 74.

Whats your theory?

knowing men, guy started coughing up blood, gave up smoking, still coughing up blood, went to the doctor.

men don't seek medical advise quickly enough which, given the small minority of women involved and the age ranges, makes this a seriously flawed study.

Thats a generalisation about men.

How many companies are going to fund a worldwide study that includes an equal amount of races and sexes when it goes completely against agenda and there is no money to be made from it?

You do have a point yes but surely you see mine?

Time will tell.

I understand if you want absolute proof and time will give that.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I just started growing my first crop of tobacco this year. I'm giving a go at growing a Heritage Burley, Dark Virginia, Salamena Blue, Stag Horn and Yayla Karpaz in my backyard garden.

Some of them, such as the Dark Virginia are very fast growing. It has surprised me how big they have gotten and how quickly.

A couple of caveats about backyard growing however...

1.) Many varieties of Tobacco grow tall. Neighbors could easily mistake them for Cannabis and report you for growing 7 foot tall plants (I've had the neighbors call the Narcotics Division to report me once for growing Echinacea in my backyard. The SWAT team showed up and were all serious until they saw the plants and had a good laugh with me over it.)

2.) Tobacco plants STINK! I mean really STINK! The odour, especially during the heat of the summer is almost overwhelming. Your neighbors may not appreciate this (and I'm getting flak about it from my roommate as well...the only reason she has let me continue this far is that I have promised her she can use the stalks and smaller leaves for making homemade paper).

3.) Pests, pests, pests! I grow an Organic Vegetable Garden and have never had a problem with pests, until I started growing Tobacco this year. Slugs love the Tobacco. Preying Mantis love the Tobacco. Aphids love the Tobacco. Ants love the Tobacco. Insects I don't recognize love the Tobacco. I'll be genuinely surprised if any of the leaves are left come harvest! Not only that, once they feast on my Tobacco they find their way into my OG Vegetable Garden! I really don't want to spray or use pesticides, but with Tobacco their might not be an alternative.

It's been an interesting experience. I can't wait until Harvest and give my try at drying the leaves and curing them in an impromptu smokehouse. I hear that the drying & curing process creates even a stronger stench than growing them, but we will see.

The difficult part is that I smoke Kreteks exclusively and am hoping to get something that will allow me to make my own Kreteks now that they are banned for sale in the US. I already have the Cloves and made my own extract of spices to soak the Tobacco in once it cures. Unfortunately most Kreteks are made of a blend 40/60 blend that utilize 30 different varieties of Tobacco. There's no way I'm going to be able to get the same thing from my backyard, but I'm hopeful I'll have something I can live with.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Your post got me wondering there.

How long will it be until this is deemed illegal for being outwith health and safety regulations or something similar?

I dont think it will be allowed much longer.

Good on you for taking some initiative and relying on yourself.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

i do see your point, i'ld say there's a possible link but i really doubt it's the link you are making. i'ld need some serious evidence.

as regards funding for research to show that it's better to continue smoking than to give up, i'ld say the tobacco industry might climb over hot coals on it's testicles to fund research showing it were even possibly true.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KAKUSA
Tobacco without all the additives is nearly impossible to smoke... they said it was too harsh and they all choked on it... So if your growing your own tobacco your in for a big surpise when you light your first one....

Don't anyone tell American Spirit that there product is impossible to smoke...

Couple of things wrong with this. First, you're not a smoker, so you don't know what's "impossible" to smoke and what's not. Second, you're not a tobacco gardener, and inevitably did not cure the tobacco properly. That's what made the smoke harsh. You can't just pick a leaf, dry it out and smoke it and expect a pleasurable smoke. Tobacco must be cured, not just dried.

There are plenty of all natural tobacco products out there, without all the additives, and they're certainly not "impossible" to smoke. Trust me, formaldehyde, antifreeze and urea do not make a smoother or more pleasurable smoke.

Those that make a switch to additive free tobacco will at first find themselves wanting to smoke more than they did before, making it obvious that nicotine is not the only thing the body becomes dependent on. After a week or two adjustment period, they'll find themselves actually smoking less than they did before going additive-free.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by astronomaniac

They still add chemicals to rolling tobacco,unless you buy organic 100% natural that is.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

i do see your point, i'ld say there's a possible link but i really doubt it's the link you are making. i'ld need some serious evidence.

as regards funding for research to show that it's better to continue smoking than to give up, i'ld say the tobacco industry might climb over hot coals on it's testicles to fund research showing it were even possibly true.

True, but then it goes against population reduction which is a serious issue for governments when tackling resources.

I think it would also cause an outrage if there was a U-Turn and everyone was encouraged to keep smoking by the health industry if they were long term smokers.

I mean, can you imagine that smoking was banned for anyone who had smoked for under "X" amount of years and the prices dramatically dropped?

That would certainly cause an outrage when it comes to equality etc.

Smoking is bad for your health but stopping after a certain point is even worse. Doesnt exactly have a catchy slogan about it

[edit on 29-6-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I think it would also cause an outrage if there was a U-Turn and everyone was encouraged to keep smoking by the health industry if they were long term smokers.

outrage? only from anti-smoking nazis, i couldn't imagine it coming from ex-smokers, unless the local stores ran out of cigarettes before the ex-smokers got their hands on a pack.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
i planted 40 plants myself lol

good thing i live in kentucky lol

my farmer friends gave me the plants already started...planted next to my corn int he garden..

i will be a smoking sob come winter after it cure's.
so yes i started growing mien allso.
the tax after tax is hard on smoker's.

we don;t smoke in resturant's anymore....
we key word WE pay higher price's for medical insurance not the non smoker's.

yet non smoker's can make a law saying we have the right to smoke but we are going to tax tobacco more than it cost's to make the smoke's...is dumb

i fell bad for non smoker's..the fat sit behind a desk calling people giving order's....boss type's...
They are so arrogant they don't realize obama will eventually come after there fast food..candy bar's soda pop..you name it.
Then when they post on a thread i will be the 1rst to say stop crying you fat nasty tub of lard lol
you fatness made me and my family sick to our stomach's looking at you fat people.
so it effected us too lol

I can not wait for the day.........sighhhhhhh

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
There are plenty of all natural tobacco products out there, without all the additives, and they're certainly not "impossible" to smoke. Trust me, formaldehyde, antifreeze and urea do not make a smoother or more pleasurable smoke.

The problem with most Tobacco that finds it's way into Cigarettes is that it is not what the Native Americans and our American Forefathers grew and smoked. Contrary to popular belief, neither is the Tobacco that is found in American Spirits! These strains of Tobacco that are used are specifically bio-engineered to maximize Nicotine and Tar (all are derivatives of Y1 strain developed in the 1970s for the intentional manipulation of dramatically increasing the Nicotine content of cigarettes). The closest strains that are similar to what the Native Americans once grew aren't even available in the US anymore...the closest variety being Indonesian. The Cyprus strains are pretty old and untouched too, which is the reason I'm growing two different Cyprus varieties.

Smoking pure Tobacco itself, doesn't have the high risks that smoking commercial Tobacco products does. For various reasons, from increasing the addictive qualities to making them burn longer and lower temperatures, and for Federal Fire Safety laws, many hazardous chemicals and additives are added to *ALL* commercial Tobacco products in the US (because it's the law! If they are to be sold in the US they *MUST* have these chemical additives for "Safety" reasons...even Imports). If you go overseas and smoke the same brand you normally smoke, you'll notice the difference right away as many of these additives are not put in those products manufactured for overseas consumption.

The list of additives and chemicals added to commercial Tobacco products includes:

Acetanisole, Acetic Acid, Acetoin, Acetophenone, 6-Acetoxydihydrotheaspirane, 2-Acetyl-3- Ethylpyrazine, 2-Acetyl-5-Methylfuran, Acetylpyrazine, 2-Acetylpyridine, 3-Acetylpyridine, 2-Acetylthiazole, Aconitic Acid, dl-Alanine, Alfalfa Extract, Allspice Extract, Oleoresin, And Oil, Allyl Hexanoate, Allyl Ionone, Almond Bitter Oil, Ambergris Tincture, Ammonia, Ammonium Bicarbonate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Ammonium Phosphate Dibasic, Ammonium Sulfide, Amyl Alcohol, Amyl Butyrate, Amyl Formate, Amyl Octanoate, alpha-Amylcinnamaldehyde, Amyris Oil, trans-Anethole, Angelica Root Extract, Oil and Seed Oil, Anise, Anise Star, Extract and Oils, Anisyl Acetate, Anisyl Alcohol, Anisyl Formate, Anisyl Phenylacetate, Apple Juice Concentrate, Extract, and Skins, Apricot Extract and Juice Concentrate, 1-Arginine, Asafetida Fluid Extract And Oil, Ascorbic Acid, 1-Asparagine Monohydrate, 1-Aspartic Acid, Balsam Peru and Oil, Basil Oil, Bay Leaf, Oil and Sweet Oil, Beeswax White, Beet Juice Concentrate, Benzaldehyde, Benzaldehyde Glyceryl Acetal, Benzoic Acid, Benzoin, Benzoin Resin, Benzophenone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Butyrate, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Propionate, Benzyl Salicylate, Bergamot Oil, Bisabolene, Black Currant Buds Absolute, Borneol, Bornyl Acetate, Buchu Leaf Oil, 1,3-Butanediol, 2,3-Butanedione, 1-Butanol, 2-Butanone, 4(2-Butenylidene)-3,5,5-Trimethyl-2-Cyclohexen-1-One, Butter, Butter Esters, and Butter Oil, Butyl Acetate, Butyl Butyrate, Butyl Butyryl Lactate, Butyl Isovalerate, Butyl Phenylacetate, Butyl Undecylenate, 3-Butylidenephthalide, Butyric Acid, Cadinene, Caffeine, Calcium Carbonate, Camphene, Cananga Oil, Capsicum Oleoresin, Caramel Color, Caraway Oil, Carbon Dioxide, Cardamom Oleoresin, Extract, Seed Oil, and Powder, Carob Bean and Extract, beta-Carotene, Carrot Oil, Carvacrol, 4-Carvomenthenol, 1-Carvone, beta-Caryophyllene, beta-Caryophyllene Oxide, Cascarilla Oil and Bark Extract, Cassia Bark Oil, Cassie Absolute and Oil, Castoreum Extract, Tincture and Absolute, Cedar Leaf Oil, Cedarwood Oil Terpenes and Virginiana, Cedrol, Celery Seed Extract, Solid, Oil, And Oleoresin, Cellulose Fiber, Chamomile Flower Oil And Extract, Chicory Extract, Chocolate, Cinnamaldehyde, Cinnamic Acid, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Bark Oil, and Extract, Cinnamyl Acetate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Cinnamyl Cinnamate, Cinnamyl Isovalerate, Cinnamyl Propionate, Citral, Citric Acid, Citronella Oil, dl-Citronellol, Citronellyl Butyrate, Citronellyl Isobutyrate, Civet Absolute, Clary Oil, Clover Tops, Red Solid Extract, Cocoa, Cocoa Shells, Extract, Distillate And Powder, Coconut Oil, Coffee, Cognac White and Green Oil, Copaiba Oil, Coriander Extract and Oil, Corn Oil, Corn Silk, Costus Root Oil, Cubeb Oil, Cuminaldehyde, para-Cymene, 1-Cysteine, Dandelion Root Solid Extract, Davana Oil, 2-trans, 4-trans-Decadienal, delta-Decalactone, gamma-Decalactone, Decanal, Decanoic Acid, 1-Decanol, 2-Decenal, Dehydromenthofurolactone, Diethyl Malonate, Diethyl Sebacate, 2,3-Diethylpyrazine, Dihydro Anethole, 5,7-Dihydro-2-Methylthieno(3,4-D) Pyrimidine, Dill Seed Oil and Extract, meta-Dimethoxybenzene, para-Dimethoxybenzene, 2,6-Dimethoxyphenol, Dimethyl Succinate, 3,4-Dimethyl-1,2-Cyclopentanedione, 3,5- Dimethyl-1,2-Cyclopentanedione, 3,7-Dimethyl-1,3,6-Octatriene, 4,5-Dimethyl-3-Hydroxy-2,5-Dihydrofuran-2-One, 6,10-Dimethyl-5,9-Undecadien-2-One, 3,7-Dimethyl-6-Octenoic Acid, 2,4-Dimethylacetophenone, alpha,para-Dimethylbenzyl Alcohol, alpha,alpha-Dimethylphenethyl Acetate, alpha,alpha Dimethylphenethyl Butyrate, 2,3-Dimethylpyrazine,2,5-Dimethylpyrazine, 2,6-Dimethylpyrazine, Dimethyltetrahydrobenzofuranone, delta-Dodecalactone, gamma-Dodecalactone, para-Ethoxybenzaldehyde.....and the list goes on...and on.....

It is that list, including things like Arsenic, Formaldehyde, and basically Anti-Freeze that are so toxic and generate the highest health risks involved in smoking, in addition to the Apatite used to fertilize Tobacco grown in the US which contains high levels of Radium, Lead 210, and Polonium 210 all of which are known radioactive carcinogens.

There are actually health benefits to smoking home-grown Tobacco without the chemical additives and radioactive fertilizer. We are told that smoking is bad for us and told over and over and over all the health risks but the health benefits of smoking are often glossed over. Smoking can actually lower Blood Pressure, promote Digestion, promote regular Bowel Movements, act as a Diuretic, temporarily alleviate Low Blood Sugar, act as an Appetite Suppressant, and is a Muscle Relaxant useful especially for alleviate the pain of Cramps.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I went the E Cig route. Its kinda sad when I would rather give my money to China than support what my own country has done.

Government will have its smelly little finger in EVERY part of our lives.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm a smoker and I'm poor as dirt. I can't aford cigarettes so I smoke cheap cigars which cost $2 a pack. I don't have land to grow my own tobacco but I found some government land near by. I have several plots picked out for next year. Marijuana growers do the same thing so I figure why not tobacco. Raw tabacco is much to hash to smoke you have to cure it first. Theres some good web site out there with lots of info for anyone interested.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
What a novel concept it is to actually grow or produce something for yourself without having to beg for it from the overlords!!

Lets see how long it will take before the local sherrifs department shows up and stomps on this guys tobacco plant and throws him in the county jail for illegally manufacturing a carcinogenic substance which is harmful to man.

If the greedy guts in government realize they are getting cut out of their $$ you will see this happening, I guarantee.

Seeing as they have already bullied, starved and taxed most small tobacco farmers out of existence I dont see why they would take it easy on the personal grower.

Before long tobacco (one of the products this country was built upon) will be as illegal as the evil and dreaded cannibus plant

Good thing we all have big brother around to tell us what is good and bad for us....we would all be lost without them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join