It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA Moon Images Huge Towers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People"The Cryo-volcanoes of Triton"

I hereby reserve the movie rights to that title... has a 'cool' ring to it

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by olegkvasha
Don't think this needs to much explanation will let the picture speak for itself. Taken from the new Lunar orbiter

Here is the original link to nasa image:
NASA

Close-up of the area in question:

Let me know what you think

/rich

EDIT: I was in a rush to get this up before going out. My apologies for the confusion of the moon in question. Thanks Zorgon for pointing out that it is infact a Moon of Neptune

[edit on 25-6-2009 by olegkvasha]

[edit on 25-6-2009 by olegkvasha]

Can you calculate the distance of the shadow to the object and the angle of the camera so we can get a height on this object?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Interesting find. Makes you wonder what we might find on other moons/planets in our system.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkCyrus

Right...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkCyrus
Interesting find. Makes you wonder what we might find on other moons/planets in our system.

Right...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Definitely cryovolcanoes. I don't see anything in this picture that looks out of the ordinary, especially given how pixelated that image is.

I'm more interested in that little blip on the far left side of the page, floating in space beyond the edge of the moon. Any thoughts on what that is? My initial thought is that it's one of Neptune's other moons in the distance. But it looks a bit too "oddly-shaped" to be a moon. Maybe an asteroid? Not really trying to propose this is anything other-worldly. Just didn't expect to see something there.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
i think the one on the far left could possibly be a tower. One, because of the shadow it casts. and two, because it seems to be reflecting more-then-natural light. all other surface features pale in comparison

kind of a remote place for a tower, but then again im no extra-terrestrial.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Taymour

RIGHT!!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
i think the one on the far left could possibly be a tower. One, because of the shadow it casts. and two, because it seems to be reflecting more-then-natural light. all other surface features pale in comparison

kind of a remote place for a tower, but then again im no extra-terrestrial.

As people have said in posts above...

These are the plumes from nitrogen geysers. The "shadows" are actually shadows from the geysers and/or streaks left behind on the soil from such an eruption.

These already have been explained by scientists 15 or 20 years ago.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Due to the fact that insects can live about anywhere and in many very unfriendly areas. This happens to be termite mounds, must be big termites.....huh?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ztheday Not really trying to propose this is anything other-worldly. Just didn't expect to see something there.

Triton IS 'other worldly"

Sorry couldn't resist

Voyager II

Triton's south polar terrain. About 50 dark plumes mark what may be ice volcanoes.

Triton shows evidence of a remarkable geologic history, and Voyager 2 images show active geyser-like eruptions spewing invisible nitrogen gas and dark dust particles several kilometers into space.

voyager.jpl.nasa.gov...

But I like the hyway on this one

Funny thing though, those Geysers look just like the ones on Mars... same black sand...

Artist Concept

[edit on 26-6-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx

Can you calculate the distance of the shadow to the object and the angle of the camera so we can get a height on this object?

One problem is youd also have to know what the angle of the sun was at the time of the image in relation to the surface the object is on since that would dictate the length of the shadow, if you didnt know that variable youd end up with all the wrong numbers, since even a small object casts a long shadow when the sun is low in the sky. It could be nothing but a large rock crag if that area in the picture was moving into sunset.

I personally believe in the Moon towers and structures, but only the photos that show them on the rim of the moon, since you cant really end up mistaken in those situations. but for these im in the geyser camp.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I dont think those are towers , just rock formations , that cast a long shadow on a low sun.

Altough im not saying there are some weird anomaly's on the moon

S

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Solidus Green eye]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Solidus Green eye

It would really help your understanding if you would actually take the time to read the thread

This is the Moon Triton around Neptune, not our moon

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join