It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Nasa prepares to bomb the moon

www.telegraph.co.uk

Nasa scientists are preparing to launch a space mission from Cape Canaveral carrying a missile that will fire a hole deep in the surface of the moon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nasa.gov

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I'm sure the more conspiracy hungry amongst us believe that NASA already know whether there is water on the moon and this is merely some sort of covert mission to destroy something else up there!

Either way, should be interesting to see the results of this. Launch due Thursday, June 18, at 5:12 p.m. EDT, Two additional launch opportunities are available at 5:22 p.m. and 5:32 p.m.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18/6/2009 by 0010110011101]

[edit on 18/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
they cant be serious? bomb the moon? i hope they arent trying to destroy any architecture up there. I look forward to seeing where these bombs drop and exactly how strong they are.

also, if its at night, mabey well be abel to see debris?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X1

This has been in the pipeline for some time, it's not the first time I've heard of this. As far as I understand it they are going to fire a projectile into the moon, about the size of a washing machine, and then another craft will capute data of what is thrown out into the atmosphere.

Official story is that they want to test for water, although I'm not sure many on here will believe that! Either way, the launch is today so hold on to your hats, should be interesting to see what comes back!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So when should we be looking @ the moon with telescopes to see what there really up to ??? Its currently 11:32pm here on the 18th July In Australia on the East coast....

I'm heading out there now to have a squizz just incase something gets to the booster before it reaches the moon

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well we are knee-deep in destroying the earth, so it must be time to begin destroying the moon, and while we're at it maybe we could blast a few holes in Mars too. Just to see what happens.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by Hazelnut]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I heard about something like a long time ago but never thought they would actually do it...

and the actual launch is today....when will the bomb hit and why isnt this in the main news.....

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Who are they to bomb the moon?

If North Korea tried doing this they would nuke em'.

Anyhow, can't this have any type of side effects?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
why is there nothing about it on the official nasa homepage....unless im not looking correctly but if there was a launch such as this today wouldnt it be on the homepage or in the news section....

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

a missile that will fire a hole deep in the surface of the moon.

Fire the writer of the article,the wording is terrible.

Hmm,thoughts of what happened to the moon in the remake of
The Time Machine.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by booda

There is. I provided a NASA link in the OP.

Info on timings, trajectory etc, should be on the NASA site, if not I will do some digging for you.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Scientists expect the impact to blast out a huge cloud of dust, gas and vaporized water ice at least 6 miles high - making it visible from Earth.

taken from the article, so should be seen without telescopes...

if my countings right it should happen between 9 and 10pm GMT.....

link

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
God created the Earth as a playground for humans. We have peace, violence, rubbish and treasures. But we're prohitbited to destroy or harm other planets.

Don't forget the angels are watching. God is always ready to call it game over for any "out of this world" sinners.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
So we are launching it today. Does anybody know when it will be ready to be fired at the moon? Whats the best time to be looking upwards?
Twice as fast as a bullet? I didnt even realize we had the technology to send something the size of a washing machine that fast!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I hope the rocket makes an unexpected u turn and lands right on Nasa's HQ. I already gave up hope for this planet so I shouldn't be too bothered with this.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is a weapons test. The idea is to be able to fire long metal shards from orbit to hit any target on earth within 2 minutes.

Some info on the technology

The time between deorbiting and impact would only be a few minutes, and depending on the orbits and positions in the orbits, the system would have a world-wide range. There is no requirement to deploy missiles, aircraft or other vehicles. Although the SALT II (1979) prohibited the deployment of orbital weapons of mass destruction, it did not prohibit the deployment of conventional weapons.

The weapon inflicts damage because it moves at orbital velocities, at least 9 kilometers per second. The amount of energy released by the largest version when it hits the ground is roughly comparable to a small nuclear weapon or very large conventional bomb. Smaller weapons can deliver measured amounts of energy as small as a 500 lb conventional bomb.

The "pole" shape is optimal because it enhances reentry and maximizes the device's ability to penetrate hard or buried targets. The larger device is expected to be quite good at penetrating deeply buried bunkers and other command and control targets. The smaller "crowbar" size might be employed for anti-armor, anti-aircraft, anti-satellite and possibly anti-personnel use.

The weapon would be very hard to defend against. It has a very high closing velocity and a small radar cross-section. Launch is difficult to detect. Any infra-red launch signature occurs in orbit, at no fixed position. The infra-red launch signature also has a small magnitude compared to a ballistic missile launch. One drawback of the system is that the weapon's sensors would almost certainly be blind during atmospheric reentry due to the plasma sheath that would develop ahead of it, so a mobile target could be difficult to hit if it performed any unexpected maneuvering.

While the larger version might be individually launched, the smaller versions would be launched from "pods" or "carriers" that contained several missiles.

The phrase "Rods from God" is also used to describe the same concept.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by libertytoall]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We have been crashing things into the moon for a while. Here are a few links.

Take care,
Wendy

SMART-1 to Crash the Moon 08.30.2006
science.nasa.gov...

Spacecraft to Slam into the Moon By Leonard David Senior Space Writer
posted: 07 March 2006
www.space.com...

NASA Takes Aim at Moon with Double Sledgehammer By Jeremy Hsu
Staff Writer posted: 27 February 2008
www.space.com...

The crash of Lunar Prospector into the Moon did not liberate detectable signatures of water ice. Oct 1999
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Who are they to bomb the moon?

If North Korea tried doing this they would nuke em'.

Anyhow, can't this have any type of side effects?

I wholeheartedly agree. Who are NASA to make this decision. I find it extremely offensive that "we" are bombing the moon. Just who makes these decisions?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WendyHalo

OK, I didnt know that this experiment had been done 3 times before. If NASA have slammed 3 different objects into the moon for this sort of test before, why are they doing it again?

Is the difference this time that we have something up there orbiting to take more accurate measurements or what?

Or is it simply a case of if at first you dont succeed, try, try, try and try again?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
going out on a limb here, i dont normally discuss my dreams with anyone other than my wife. but this seems too coincidental...

About 2 weeks ago I had a dream the moon exploded. Maybe not so much exploded but the left side (our left) was blown off. By what, that part is fuzzy but I thought it was hit by a projectile of some sort. If anyone recalls the Challenger disaster, the plumes of smoke emanating from the blast almost mirrored what happened/was seen on live tv long ago. And as it was coming apart I could see pieces of it burning up in the atmosphere, larger pieces falling to earth and the rest of it just "floating away " from what was left. It felt real and I woke up a bit shaken. I even opened my sketch book back up because I had to "put it down" somewhere.

So getting past that, what are the ramifications of this? I have no doubt they have strategized this thouroughly but lets say overt moon dust gets into our atmosphere? Could that be poison to the human race? Not to mention anything like huge pieces falling to earth.

If this supposed to hapen today, that sucks it'll be raining this day/night, I wont get to see it I dont think. Anyways this is wrong.... sorry to bore ya with all that but thanks for listening....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join