It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fatal Shooting' At Tehran Protest Rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

'Fatal Shooting' At Tehran Protest Rally

news.sky.com

One person has reportedly been killed and several wounded in the Iranian capital Tehran where tens of thousands of people gathered to protest the result of the country's general election.

Protesters burn a car near a rally supporting Mir Hossein Mousavi in Tehran.

Protesters burn a car near a rally in Tehran backing Mirhossein Mousavi

A photographer at the scene said several people were shot - one fatally so - when members of a pro-government militia fired into the crowd.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com
duhdailyscoop.blogspot.com
www.windsorstar.com

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I am no expert on Iran however I have been deeply moved and very impressed by the bravery and conviction of the Iranian people who are now risking their own lives to let their country and the wider world know that they are not going to let this miscarriage of justice go unheard. I think that the people of Iran want change and feel this has been ripped from their grasp.Their futures and maybe ours are at stake and I wonder how far they will be willing to go to protest this travesty.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-6-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
OK let's be clear, they are now using LIVE ammo, I've read this from various sources.

How disgusting!? It's basically saying WE run this nation, WE will stay in power and YOU will do as WE say. End Of!!!!

I hope Iran pulls through this, afterall these months of "War Speculation" the people are finally showing how the feel about Ahmajanapants (haha). They don't like him. They are finally showing, through all the hatred, through all the "KILL THE WEST" balony.... they are human. Just shows how mainstream media twists things. As soon as the TRUTH started surfacing on the web, they changed their story.

Well done Iran, I for one, who slated Iran at every shot, stand and applaud the actions I have seen today.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Where are those who have been so quick in the past to leap to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's defense? Where are those posters who call him a thoughtful world leader?

The silence is deafening.

And where are those (JanusFin??) who try to present PressTV as an objective, legitimate news source? Where are the reports of the murders of innocent citizens because they dare protest.

We are all waiting to hear from you.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

I was absolutely sickened to the base of my stomach by the pictures on the news of the student who had been shot after a government gunman had fired an automatic weapon into an unarmed crowd.As you touched on there is no longer any illusion of a righteous peace loving Iranian leadership just the cold realisation of ak 47 rounds ripping indiscrimately through human flesh.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RenDMC

wow, your arguments are so one-sided lol

If this makes PressTV bad then why don't you also mention CNN, MSNBC(obamaStation) or Fox News?

Look how much attention this is getting
How much attention did the murder at G20 get on mainstream news?

What about what happened during the republican convention?
Remember that, throwing smoke grenades at teenagers just trying to be heard?????

Stop being one-sided.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by RenDMC

wow, your arguments are so one-sided lol

If this makes PressTV bad then why don't you also mention CNN, MSNBC(obamaStation) or Fox News?

Look how much attention this is getting
How much attention did the murder at G20 get on mainstream news?

Remember that, throwing smoke grenades at teenagers just trying to be heard?????

Stop being one-sided.

Just a heads up but I think you quoted me by mistake...... anyway......

I think, no I know, the conspiracy theorist in me rather knows, there are many many more deaths than 1.. there has to be. All the images of people being beat around the head...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The murder of the unarmed protesters is very similar to the Boston Massacre when the British troops opened fire on innocent bystanders redressing grievances on a public street since they weren't given that luxury in Parliament. I guess history reports itself doesn't it? I'm very proud of the Iranian protesters courage and I hope they get the freedom they so rightfully deserve.

They have been living under tyranny for far to long. First the US supported Shah and now the religious theocracy. I truly feel sad that my country's hands are dirty when we ousted Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh their legally elected leader in the 50's. It has been hell for them ever since.

I hope this is the spark that ignites the inferno and that the Iranian people take back their country without foreign meddling.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
As much as I hate to say it but does anyone else get the sinking feeling that Mirhossein Mousavi is going to have an "accident" in the near future?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that I don't think anyone but the government of Iran knows who won the election in the first place.

Mousavi shares beliefs with Ahmadinejad so I don't think it makes much difference anyway. The President of Iran is a figurehead. Nothing will change under Mousavi as he is just as radical. He wants us dead too. He wants nuclear weapons too.

If Mousavi is successful in this, it will be far worse. He will then have the power of a revolutionary as a leader and that will be even worse. I wonder if he also believes he is the Last Imam?

People should think this through before you start cheering for a side. Either way the West and Democracy suffers under either man.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Stop being one-sided.

One sided? Not at all. The point you missed was that there are too many here who support this murderous little scum and they are silent when he is exposed for what he truly is. Also, those who try to pass off PressTV as anything other than the official media mouthpiece of the Iranian govt is a fool.

No one was shot at the Republican Convention and if you are going try to attempt to make the case that what happened there was the same as the murder of innocent civilians in Iran by their own govt, then you will also be exposed.

[edit on 15-6-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I can't think of anything more likely to inflame anti-government passions than indiscriminate shootings by pro-government militia. If the mullahs have any brains at all, they will make amedinajad the scapegoat and cut him loose.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
www.africasia.com...

15/06/2009 22:56 WASHINGTON, June 15 (AFP)
Obama 'deeply troubled' by Iran violence

US President Barack Obama said Monday that he was "deeply troubled" by violence in Iran, but warned he did not want the United States to become a "political football" in the post-election crisis.

Obama also vowed that despite the disputed reelection of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, he would stick to his vow to pursue "tough, hard headed" diplomacy with "no illusions" towards the Islamic Republic.

Treading a fine political line, Obama also said he wanted to be "very clear" that "it is up to Iranians to make a decision about who Iran's leaders will be."

"We respect Iranian sovereignty and want to avoid the United States being the issue inside of Iran," Obama said, adding that in the past America had become a "political football" in the domestic politics of its arch-foe.

But Obama also added that he was "deeply troubled" by the violence he had been seeing in television news broadcasts from Tehran.

"I think that the democratic process, free speech, the ability for folks to peacefully dissent, all those are universal values and need to be respected.

"Whenever I see violence perpetrated on people who are peacefully dissenting, and whenever the American people see that, I think they're rightfully troubled."

But Obama said he was prepared to continue with his plan to offer a diplomatic opening to Iran, and to discuss the country's nuclear program, despite finding the anti-Jewish rhetoric of Ahmadinejad "odious."

"The use of tough, hard-headed diplomacy, diplomacy with no illusions about Iran and the nature of the differences between our two countries is critical when it comes to pursuing a core set of our national security interests," Obama said.

Obama spoke after one protestor was reportedly shot dead Monday as one of Iran's worst crises since the Islamic revolution of 1979 intensified, with the opposition's supporters vigorously denouncing the elections as a sham.

If confirmed, it would be the first death since protests flared after Ahmadinejad was declared to have defeated opposition candidate moderate former premier, Mir Hossein Mousavi, in Friday's polls winning 63 percent of the vote.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The killing is continuing.Iran Reports 7 Deaths in Mass Protest Against Vote Result
www.nytimes.com...

TEHRAN — As Iran’s embattled president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, arrived in Russia Tuesday, Iranian state radio reported that seven people were killed in clashes overnight, ramping up tensions after days of unprecedented demonstrations which have forced a formal review of elections results. As dawn broke over this tense and divided nation, anticipation grew over what would come next, whether calls for a nationwide general strike and more protests would play out across the country, or if emotions would begin to cool.

Less than 24 hours earlier, Tehran had witnessed the largest demonstrations since the 1979 revolution with hundreds of thousands of people from across Iranian society pouring into the streets to protest what they charge were fraudulent results in Saturday’s presidential election.

The state radio announcement of the seven deaths provided no details of who the victims were or how they had died. Monday’s protests were believed to have been largely peaceful and only one death had been reported previously

One can only hope that they restrain themselves today after world wide condemnation of their acts of violence yesterday.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Use your foe list and skip over any red you see. If you notice that guy was already on mine. Some people are awake some are not. It also takes A LOT less time to read the news here and get the truth / good views.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Use your foe list and skip over any red you see. If you notice that guy was already on mine. Some people are awake some are not. It also takes A LOT less time to read the news here and get the truth / good views.

Except that ModernAcademia was responding to the wrong poster. He meant to respond to me, I believe.

As for your, "ignore," strategy, it doesn't speak well of you that you choose to ignore anyone who holds views that differ with yours.

I would think we would all want to hear most from those who don't re-enforce our own beliefs...how else do we grow intellectually?

top topics

join