It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians sue for right to burn gay teen novel

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The All Seeing I
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

PPT may i ask you a favor? If you could make a copy of your post and paste it in the Evolution of Belief thread... it would be priceless.
What you said nailed down the central theme of that inquiry.
Many thanks in advance.

Absolutely a brilliant articulation of the whole enchilada, hot peppers included. Bravo!

For giving this insight texture, weight and color... i can finally get my head around this beast.

What has always evaded me was this closed-circuit and how it fosters dependency on the church by directing it's followers to surrender themselves over to a state of blind faith in the story makers/tellers of a "holy text". I can see clearly now how these stories have been played out on the back wall of Plato's Cave for all these centuries, enslaving the hearts and minds of whole societies/countries to never point out that the emperor has no clothes.

I think my error was buying into the facade that these religions are open, when in fact they are just the opposite, which in sum explains the spiraling closed-mind-set.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

A Master will tell you my friend that you cannot control people but you can control the circumstances around people thus penning them in and corralling them in the direction(s) you would like them to head.

What the trio of Sects that comprise Islam, Christianity and Judaism represent is closed universes unto themselves. They expand but they do not progress or evolve and in that manner they are a form of parasitical virus similar to the fictional Borg on the Science Fiction Series Star Trek. They simply assimilate and break down any contrary forms of thinking, thought, direction, morality, or spirituality to fit a uniform mold that adherents ‘must’ conform too or risk the carrots of validation, absolution and then by caveat suffer the stick of eternal damnation and punishment.

Hey where do I sign up for that? You got to got to be kidding me!

Amazingly the priestly and hierarchy of the patriarchal class do not even subscribe to these doctrines themselves but practice a form of archaic mysticism based on worship of the sun and the Zodiac and the progression of the equinoxes and mask this to the unknowing but abetting eyes of the laity through symbols and pageants that merely tap into the collective energies of the assembled congregations by the priestly class to further enable their interactions with the occult.

The laity taught to conform or risk an eternity of horrific punishment without any possibility of reprieve are taught to comply and submit to every exertion tasked upon them in this enslaving power hierarchy that makes deliverance of the laity in mass to the patrician political class an artistic endeavor that so subtly yet powerfully corrals the masses an enriching endeavor as the patrician as well as plebian laity bestow riches and wealth and allegiances to the priests.

In the neoconservative far right republican voting block you see this manifest particularly if one would like to see a powerful example of this at play in the modern United States of America.

Notable Evangelical Zionists Priests have huge cult followings of parishioners with some having individual followings or head organizations with 10 thousand, 20 thousand, 100 thousand in some cases millions who constitute the laity of the ceremonial pageantry that transfixes and transforms the congregation to a unified mass without deviation, politically, spiritually, morally and intellectually.

The incredible advantage to having ‘closed’ books that can not be tampered with by adding or subtracting to them as far as the core gospel and belief system is that it fosters that political based system of charismatic Priests interpreting the texts with an eye towards appealing to a certain predisposed type of thinking amongst the congregants and then expounding and expanding upon it in such a way that politically it becomes attractive to those that can only go to…one side or the other in the corral…forward or back in the corral…and have a ‘comfort’ spot they favor in the corral.

The remain within the overall ‘closed’ parameters but are now ‘ripe’ for mental conditioning, indoctrinations and other forms of mind and thought control that can then give that subset of congregants and their priests and affiliated politicians and merchants incredible power and opportunity to expand…but not to evolve.

[edit on 14/6/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraAgentGirl

Ive alerted this thread for...

"alerted"... as in 'reported to the authorities' ie ALERT button?

If so, that's most unfortunate... our mods have better things to do then be bothered with a thread that is on course... much like the administrtion of West Bend Library has better things to do then be bothered with a book that is on course. This just shows how contrary to the motto of ATS your position is. The point of this OP is to 'deny ignorance'... we have combed through this story about a group of grown men seeking to deny their fellow citizens information... which in turn makes them more ignorant. Libraries aren't in the business of keeping people in the dark... and neither is ATS for that matter.

This is all very nice, but you are missing the mark entirely. None of the reasons YOU think I have alerted are the reasons I have but the reasons i have are what you agreed to NOT do when you agreed to join this site and you giving ATS a reputation to live up to for not enforcing same may work for you and then again, some might see this threads for what your intent clearly has been and sadly, accomplished nothing but a feeding frenzy of super embellished sensationalized rhetoric to satisfy your anger and hatred for God and his faithful just like most of your posts in your profile,,

that is one weird waste of time for what appears to be a really ugly hobby

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by UltraAgentGirl

I view Christians in the manner by which they voice their opinions in public. I can not remember a time when Christians came to the aid of a gay person in the public light. I see what Christians want us to see....intolerance for those they disagree with.

Your posts here are critical of our views on the hatred we see lodged against Gay people....I am more Christ like than most Christians in that I follow his example of love for my fellow man whether I agree with my fellow man or not.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraAgentGirl
I was not trying to ridicule Christians,

YOU ARE

I'm so sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

What I wanted to do was defend Christianity from any suggestion it should be judged by the type of writing you have so liberally shared with us. This would be no fairer than judging it by the types of people who want to burn books or prevent gay marriage or support the murder of abortion providers, would it?

If I understand your second quote correctly, the people who want to burn the library's copy of Baby Be-Bop have been sacked from their positions on the library board because of their refusal to remove books containing stories of relationships between homosexuals.

Council upholds punishment for members who refused to ban books, and a call to burn books!
By Blog of the National Coalition Against Censorship
ncacblog.wordpress.com...

On Monday night, The West Bend Common Council voted for a second time not to reinstate four members of the library board because of their views. The Council upheld its April 21st decision because of the board members’ refusal to remove controversial books from the young adult section of the library prior to a formal review. The board members are accused of promoting “the overt indoctrination of the gay agenda.” The challenged books include Baby Be Bop by Francesca Lia Block, The Geography Club by Brent Hartinger, and Stephan Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Adding fuel to the fire, the Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) in April filed a legal claim against the city of West Bend, Mayor Kristine Deiss, and the West Bend Library Board and Library Director. The CCLU claims the books have damaged its plaintiffs mentally and emotionally. And, they want a real fire: their final demand is not only to remove the books from the library but to destroy them in a public burning.

Take Action: Check out the West Bend Parents for Free Speech
westbendparentsforfreespeech.webs.com...
have created a petition. Show your support for the library board members here:
www.petitiononline.com...

Do you see it as a good thing if people are thrown out of their jobs for allowing stories featuring gays in a public library?

Do you believe all books containing stories about gay romance should be banned?

Do you believe the Bible should be banned?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
No offense but clearly the elderly are angry at this...I would just remind them that this isn't 1942.

Its hard to describe to someone that they simply don't understand the way the world used to be...isn't how it is now.

If we burn this book then we mind as well burn every book. I would expect more from "elderly" seeing as how they may have fought in ww2...a war that we fought for FREEDOM.

I'm no gay rights activist or elderly hater but frankly those who refuse to accept whats going on will only continue to be lost in the past.

People need to realize that the world they once knew is no longer.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

You know the funny thing is, that when you actually approach a Christian with the "There are as many different versions of Christianity as there are Christians" verbiage, to explain why your version is different from theirs... they say "No, there is only one doctrine which is true".

Yet, everyone else want's to use the same argument when defending them against comparisons to nut jobs..

One thing I can say about Christians which applies to most all of them... there is no reasoning with them... It changes based on what suits them...

Not just Christians, but all people who believe they have a corner on the market of truth...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

So you choose to take every thing ever said against your chosen belief system, personally. So personally... that you lash out at these people with exaggerations and fabrications. Sorry you didn't find the thread of interest or value... but i have news for you... there are hundreds of new threads being created every day here. You won't have to look very hard or long to find one that appeals to you.

There are nearly 200 posts in this thread pointing out the ignorance of this specific group of people and similar sheeple in kind. It's a shame you felt the need to cry 'fire'. I have been here almost a year now and haven't seen a reason to push the alert button once... but then i'm Christ-like in that way.

As for this 'ugly hobby' of mine, i'm not alone in this 'waste of time' venture... religion and politics are the two most pressing/important challenges/studies of our day. The current mix of which has us on a highway to self-destruction and/or self-discovery... it's my hope and intention to see the later comes true... by doing my part in denying ignorance and supporting others who are committed to the same cause.

I see my efforts here on ATS as a contribution to the betterment of society, as a world citizen who cares deeply about humanity's commitment to understandiing itself.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I have been here almost year now and haven't seen a reason to push the alert button once... but then i'm christ-like in that way.

Pious much?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

I have been here almost year now and haven't seen a reason to push the alert button once... but then i'm christ-like in that way.

Pious much?

I should have figured that the wink (
) would not have been sufficient.
Sorry i forgot to add my disclaimer... for you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91eb0bca8227.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfAces
No offense but clearly the elderly are angry at this...I would just remind them that this isn't 1942.

Its hard to describe to someone that they simply don't understand the way the world used to be...isn't how it is now.

If we burn this book then we mind as well burn every book. I would expect more from "elderly" seeing as how they may have fought in ww2...a war that we fought for FREEDOM.

I'm no gay rights activist or elderly hater but frankly those who refuse to accept whats going on will only continue to be lost in the past.

People need to realize that the world they once knew is no longer.

What even the elderly and the extreme religious right and left do not understand is that pansexual alternative lifestyle sexuality in all forms of sexual ‘deviances’ has always flourished in an underground community.

In 1942, or 1842, or 1542, or 942 or 42 homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, sexual sadists and sexual masochists have always existed as it is a ‘natural’ form of passion and lust for many people. They have existed in ‘underground’ communities complete with their own literature, teachings and subcultures in secret societies.

While religious morality at various times throughout history has seen these activities as being abhorrent thus creating the labeling of deviant, it has simply instilled the notion in many people who have these urges, desires and predilections in very natural ways that they are unnatural and further that anyone who even thinks about them let alone succumbs to them is doomed to an eternal damnation of punishment.

Psychologically this has collectively done far more harm to the human psyche than good.

From an ethnological tribal standpoint there is safety in numbers. Tribes could to a certain extent assure their security and success by producing excessive numbers that allowed for not just a surplus of labor to produce physical wealth but to create a sacrificial pool of people who could violently defend the tribes existence when imperiled by other aggressive tribes looking to dominate or exterminate them, or against natural disasters and predators.

Simply put there is safety in numbers and numbers are most easily created in a tribal system through birth where indoctrination into the tribal systems of culture, language, religion, politics, commerce and law can be taught constructively from birth as opposed to correctively by assimilating humans not indoctrinated through and from birth to a far greater effect.

What you see here is simply yet another fine example of how religion is used for political and defensive purposes which of course also at times creates both a need and an ability to use it for offensive purposes and of course sometimes that can be quite offensive indeed.

[edit on 14/6/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

I'm so sorry I didn't make myself clearer.

Oh you made yourself quite clear, and what you think of me and my kind of Christianity, is NONE of my business. This ENTIRE THREAD is so out of synch with the actual story it is ridiculous.

The idea the word Christians and book burning used in the comparison to book burning by the Nazi's is deplorable.

"The Christian Church was the only group that had stood up to Hitler. Albert Einstien, Time Magazine"

What I wanted to do was defend Christianity from any suggestion it should be judged by the type of writing you have so liberally shared with us

YOU have GOT to be kidding. You mean the type of writing I saw being made about Christians since this thread began. Do any of you know the real reasons this law suit was brought?

They didn't want it banned, they didn't even want it burned in the begining, all they wanted to do is have it MOVED to the adult section where kids wouldn't have access to it. THAT'S ALL!

You have no idea what religion any of them are, do you? NO YOU ASSUMED they were Christians merely because the OP who suggests I have mistakenly taken this personally, makes it personal, and yes, I get defensive when I am being attacked. It isn't bad enough we see a career forum warrior who by just glancing at his posts, makes mocking Christians his lifes work. Then after assuming this is the act of the typical Christian, when this was just some concerned parents who happen to care about what their kids are reading.

This was not about censoring your liberal heros ayn rand and Dick Dawkins Sam Harris or Daniel Dennet. This was just a tasteless diatribe to the introduction of homosexual seduction and IT not the parents Christianity, was being pushed in kids faces. It was looked into and there was enough evidence to conclude there was an agenda to get more of this kind of "literature" and ALL of it was of a homosexual nature. Many kids experiment with all kinds of sex but if you don't mind, we parents would like to delay such personal activities at least until they can be responsible enough to support a child if an accident happens or have us paying for medical bills because one of them got some ideas from a book and now he or she has an STD. It is hard enough these days keeping them off drugs and straight getting good grades during such impressionable years of their lives and if these Librarians can't understand a simple request that goes, KEEP YOUR JUNK OUT OF OUR KIDS FACES.

The idea the OP can be so presumptuous attacking ALL christians in general and THEN we aren't even allowed to get angry or offended about it?? Sorry, I know what he is about and his childhood memories of being water boarded into Christianity or what ever the trauma was to give him cause to make it his mission in life to portray ALL of us as the reason mankind isn't where HE thinks it ought to be is HIS problem and he ought to get some help

. This would be no fairer than judging it by the types of people who want to burn books or prevent gay marriage or support the murder of abortion providers, would it?

That is just what I was saying

Adding fuel to the fire, the Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) in April filed a legal claim against the city of West Bend, Mayor Kristine Deiss, and the West Bend Library Board and Library Director. The CCLU claims the books have damaged its plaintiffs mentally and emotionally. And, they want a real fire: their final demand is not only to remove the books from the library but to destroy them in a public burning.

No, the fuel was added when the librarian accused them of trying to censor the Books of the library and flatly refused to do it. I can't help it that she underestimated these parents resolve or her lack of maturity and understanding that MOST people don't want to worry about our libararys carrying smut or giving them any ideas how cool it is to use the "N" word and mock Christians which this book in fact suggests.

Do you see it as a good thing if people are thrown out of their jobs for allowing stories featuring gays in a public library?

Why are you trying to "qualify me"? Do you think I am in the least interested in seeking your approval?

I am not, but to answer your question, under these circumstances, yes I think she got what she asked for.

Do you believe all books containing stories about gay romance should be banned?

in general, no.

Do you believe the Bible should be banned?

If I did not have a mind of my own, and believed all the erroneous baloney I have seen said about it here in this thread, I STILL wouldn't think banning books are appropriate but Ill reiterate that this was never about banning a book until the Librarian insisted it would be the only way to get her to wake up.

If I was anything like my interlocutors here, I would have said it disparaging all lesbiansor all librarians in one fell swoop using as many superfluous adjectives as I could. Then I would have added insult to injury the OP did me saying: "they shouldnt take it personally."

His profile is so OBVIOUSLY about hate of Religious peoples, I won't even bother responding to his last post. Fanatics of any kind who act as pamphleteers stoking the fires of discord is just too much exercise.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
As I said before this scenario is bizarre to say the least. Who or what are these people actually trying to achieve by taking such senseless actions. Are they trying to impress priests from their church? "I am denouncing gays and showing God I do not accept the sinful lifestyle that homosexual relationships bring. See Lord, I believe in you and your rules. I love you God."

Do people who believe in the existence of a God think this entity is so insecure? Do you think this entity is going to say to you on the day of judgement "You burned a book in which you were not obligated to read because it contains themes of homosexuality. You may now take the express route to Heaven."

It is just ridiculous behaviour that does not help anybody or provide benefits for anyone really. Just stupid behaviour.

On the other side of the coin, there are homosexual individuals (many of them atheists) who believe their right to block traffic, cause disruption, and make fun of heterosexuals is fine in their "right" to gay parades. I often hear the question:
"When did you choose to be heterosexual?"
My answer: "I didn't. But I don't organise heterosexual parades either ."

It's comical how threads such as these always get derailed. I guess it's expected, although some people are penalised for it and others are not. I guess "all posters are equal, but some are more equal than others..."

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Ok, I thought maybe... but wasn't sure ;-)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

I view Christians in the manner by which they voice their opinions in public.

I can not remember a time when Christians came to the aid of a gay person in the public light. I see what Christians want us to see....intolerance for those they disagree with.

Your posts here are critical of our views on the hatred we see lodged against Gay people....I am more Christ like than most Christians in that I follow his example of love for my fellow man whether I agree with my fellow man or not.

Look, you better get yourSELF and your "emergent" "apostate" church version of what YOU think Jesus is about clear here because the what I think and what YOU think of what a Christian is "supposed" to "act like has got NOTHING to do with what the bible says he IS like and what he is about.

I have seen homosexuals twisting scripture to the point they say "homosexuality" is never mentioned in the Bible or that Jesus never addresses homosexuality by name with weak minded spiritually dead luke warm Christians, the kind that your nicey, nice, goody goody version of what YOU think is our lord and savior condones and I am here to tell you, HE DOES NOT and YOU need to be corrected.

Do you have any idea who our lord Jesus is? Do you know what he is about and have you reconciled how this apostate version of who you claim as Christ, will be the one who we see coming back here with FIRE in his eyes and wrath in his intention on a white horse with white garments dipped in blood with the words Faithful and True written on his label. He is the SAME Jesus, who loved the bankers of this world so much that to show us by example, as any leader who uses the SALT and not the sugar in his testimony will attest, that he literally THREW their tables and kiosks upside down yelling at them in righteous judgment as Paul instructs us to do all sinners who use scripture out of context to get you to back off them for their sins saying "judge not lest ye be judged" he says BUT JUDGE in righteous judgment!

Yes Christian, you who have ears listen and be the salt of this earth, for it is Jesus who comes as a sword separate the chafe and those who hate the sin while accommodating the sinner is as pathetic as any secular judge who condemns the crime but not the criminal.

Someone who sentences the crime and not the criminal and like most Christians who have swallowed this idea for hating the sin and not the sinner, be ADVISED: Jesus says with fire in his eyes that he would just as soon SPIT you out of his mouth saying he never knew you.

Christianity has NOTHING to do with being progressive, or a free thinker. We are to be faithful and disciplined thinkers.

I have nothing but hope for the gay homosexual who might find love is more than what he thinks it is when describing it the way they do as gay marriage and sex. Love has got NOTHING to do with sex and it isn't even CLOSE to what the Love Jesus is talking about. Just because the Bible doesn’t use the word “homosexual” does NOT mean he doesn’t speak about it. The Bible assumes the reader has common sense and suggesting such an omission is like saying “Just because the Bible doesn’t address having sex with a donkey must mean that is ok too” .

Be the Salt not the Sugar.

If you people want to make this thread about what Christians are about concerning homosexuals, we are about that the same way we are about any other sexual depravity that causes so much aguish and grief in the world as adultery so many times causes, we are to condemn it! Yet you won't find many people who are so wrapped up in that particular sin, challenging Christians on threads like this one saying God doesn't speak to that or adultery isn't in the bible blah blah blah. You won't find many adulterers marching down the streets of Boston with placards saying "I am married and I may not go down in history and I may not go down on my wife, but Ill go down on my secretary!"

NO Christian, THAT is what we see Gay people asking us to condone before accepting them into our church. I have sinned, you have sinned and my sin being as unclean as any other is why when we say Homosexuals sex is a bad as necrophilia where sin is concerned, the Gay militant activist may make suggestions we are comparing them such as rapsthebat has done. I for one am not buying it. I don't think she is unintelligent when she uses such commentary to describe Christians in this manner, just that she thinks she is clever.

SIN is SIN Christian, and I am talking to you because YOU know better, and it only takes how many to go to hell?

That's right ONE! and which one it is makes NO logical difference so it makes no sense to the Christian to feel ashamed of ourselves comparing one to any other. Gay marriage isn't a testimony to loving someone in this context and YOU know it. It is testifying to a commitment to homosexual sex with a gay lover. In other words, beloved, what they are asking of you and I and Jesus Christ is to accept their willful want and disregard to repentance and THAT the bible is in any version and any translation,

Will NOT stand.

If you do NOT Judge a Crime you can not CONVICT a criminal.

If you do NOT convict a sinner, you will never get them to repent and the TRUTH is what convicts them. Remember Christian, be the Salt, not the sugar.

They want to talk about hate speech? Truth is ALWAYS hate,

To those that hate

The truth

[edit on 6/15/2009 by UltraAgentGirl]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'm a fan of Francesca Lia Block and read the book in question [Baby Be-Bop] while I was in middle school. I find it interesting I could handle it's content, but these alleged elderly people had their mental and emotional well-being damaged by it. I was maybe 12 when I read it and the aforementioned derogatory language that could "put one’s life in possible jeopardy, adults and children alike," is both outrageous and ridiculous.

The book far from constitutes a hate crime, regardless of the usage of "faggot" and "'n-word'." This is just a bunch of old people with nothing better to do looking to validate arson. I hope they lose.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Yea, if it was in the library, who forced them to read the book? This one isn't going anywhere, unless you live in Iran!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This ENTIRE THREAD is so out of synch with the actual story it is ridiculous.

The OP and I have provided sources for the story as the OP tells it.
The only source you have supplied fully supports the OP's version of the story.

Do you have any sources that contradicts the one you have already given?

The idea the word Christians and book burning used in the comparison to book burning by the Nazi's is deplorable.

According to the article you referenced to support your position,

the Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) in April filed a legal claim against the city of West Bend, Mayor Kristine Deiss, and the West Bend Library Board and Library Director. The CCLU claims the books have damaged its plaintiffs mentally and emotionally. And, they want a real fire: their final demand is not only to remove the books from the library but to destroy them in a public burning.

ncacblog.wordpress.com...

Many Nazis burnt books that contradicted their beliefs.
Many Christians have burnt books that go against their beliefs.
Book Burning Christians

Why should it be deplorable to compare the various types of zealots who believe it's their right to prevent other people having access to information?
What is deplorable is that these Christians are acting like Nazis, both in their book burning and in their hatred of homosexuality.

"The Christian Church was the only group that had stood up to Hitler. Albert Einstien, Time Magazine"

You don't understand yet about giving sources, do you?
Your statement is not a quote from Einstein.
www.skepticforum.com...

Perhaps you are not aware that many Christians fought for Hitler, and many other Christians around the world were against their governments standing up to Hitler.
Hitler and the church had quite a cosy relationship which became even warmer when he started his campaign to rid Germany of Jews.

The Great Scandal: Christianity's Role in the Rise of the Nazis
Christian Responses to the Holocaust

You are apparently also unaware that various countries, including England, Russia, Australia and America not only stood up to Hitler, but sacrificed many of their young men in order to beat him.
This was not done in the name of Christianity. It was done to stop a war of aggression.

Do any of you know the real reasons this law suit was brought?
They didn't want it banned, they didn't even want it burned in the begining, all they wanted to do is have it MOVED to the adult section where kids wouldn't have access to it. THAT'S ALL!

Forgive my scepticism, but the source you referenced does not say this. Unless you can provide a source I shall have to believe you are making things up.
Seriously, if they just wanted the books moved they would not be taking the case to court asking for permission to burn them.

You have no idea what religion any of them are, do you? NO YOU ASSUMED they were Christians merely because the OP who suggests I have mistakenly taken this personally, makes it personal, and yes, I get defensive when I am being attacked. It isn't bad enough we see a career forum warrior who by just glancing at his posts, makes mocking Christians his lifes work. Then after assuming this is the act of the typical Christian, when this was just some concerned parents who happen to care about what their kids are reading.

It's not an assumption. The Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) are behind this case.
It's not about parents concerned about what their children are reading. You don't have to burn the library's books to stop your children reading them.
It's about parents trying to prevent other children having access to these books.

This was not about censoring your liberal heros ayn rand and Dick Dawkins Sam Harris or Daniel Dennet.

I've never voted for the Liberal Party in my life.
By the way, Ayn Rand is as right wing as they come. As for the others, never heard of them.

This was just a tasteless diatribe to the introduction of homosexual seduction and IT not the parents Christianity, was being pushed in kids faces. It was looked into and there was enough evidence to conclude there was an agenda to get more of this kind of "literature" and ALL of it was of a homosexual nature. Many kids experiment with all kinds of sex but if you don't mind, we parents would like to delay such personal activities at least until they can be responsible enough to support a child if an accident happens or have us paying for medical bills because one of them got some ideas from a book and now he or she has an STD. It is hard enough these days keeping them off drugs and straight getting good grades during such impressionable years of their lives and if these Librarians can't understand a simple request that goes, KEEP YOUR JUNK OUT OF OUR KIDS FACES.

Speaking of tasteless diatribes,
making false accusations that anyone at the library was pushing things into your kids' faces . . .

Do you have so little influence over your children they will get pregnant or catch STDs by seeing a book on a library shelf?

The idea the OP can be so presumptuous attacking ALL christians in general and THEN we aren't even allowed to get angry or offended about it?? Sorry, I know what he is about and his childhood memories of being water boarded into Christianity or what ever the trauma was to give him cause to make it his mission in life to portray ALL of us as the reason mankind isn't where HE thinks it ought to be is HIS problem and he ought to get some help

You support removing information contrary to your beliefs, both in libraries and in this forum?
You make irrelevant assumptions about a person's childhood and try to use them against him because you don't like his argument?

No one said you can't get angry or offended, but the fact you are means nothing here. We are simply here to share and explore the truth. Perhaps what really hurts you is not the truth itself, but the cracking of the walls you have built to keep the truth out.

This would be no fairer than judging it by the types of people who want to burn books or prevent gay marriage or support the murder of abortion providers, would it?

That is just what I was saying

So you're a Christian, you have expressed your support for all these things, yet you don't want your behaviour to reflect on Christianity as a whole?
Are you going back on the the support you showed in your first post here for book burning, preventing gay marriage and murdering abortion providers?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Then don't read it. But if you want to burn it... why does it need legal permission? I think they're a lot of crazies who can't live with the fact that other people exist with viewpoints not their own, but again, just don't read it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I know lets all go back to the days of the nazi's and burn all books that may hurt our fragile minds or go against what "GOD" wants us to read.

You know I never even heard of this book until I heard about this stint. In trying to censor this book as always they have brought light to it. This is america and we have a thing called free speech. So long as your not inciting riots, or defaming someone shut the %*&^ up and dont read the book. I dont agree with homosexuality but It's part of our lives weather you like or not. It is my understanding that the bible teaches understanding. "let ye without sin cast the first stone" If you found this book so offensive then why the hell did you read the whole thing, why the hell are you going to bring light to it.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

At least they asked. LOL. Years ago, about the same time as the Taliban took over in Afghanistan, I heard that a local Muslim from Afghanistan checked out all the copies of Salmon Rushdie's book (The Satanic Verses?) and destroyed them.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join