It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Sheep-Pig

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3310d93e01af.jpg[/atsimg]

What do you make of this? When I first cast eyes on it I was full of indignation at the monstrosities created by genetic engineering. It's not that I've decided messing around with genetic code is a good idea. Wait for it - this thing is apparently a 'normal' pig. Just a rare breed.

Check out the whole article:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Just looks like a normal pig breed with curly fur.

Austrian Mangalitza Gilt

www.pigparadise.com...

One of our most spectacular Rare Breed pigs, the 'Lincolnshire Curly Coat', sadly became extinct in 1972 just one year before the formation of the 'RARE BREEDS SURVIVAL TRUST' (RBST). This was a pig famous for its hardiness as well as its wonderful curly coat and became a very popular breed in Hungary and Austria where the demand for hardy stock capable of surviving the harsh winters was extremely high.

In the early 1900's we exported many 'Lincolnshire Curly Coats' to Hungary and during the 1920's they won many of the top awards at the Budapest show and acquired the coveted 'Gold medal' in 1925. The Hungarians used the 'Lincolnshire Curly Coat' to cross with their 'Mangalitza' (A very similar curly coated pig) and the resultant cross was nicknamed the 'Lincolista'.

Very cool history of the breed there.

Just like cats and dogs can have variations in coat, so can pigs. They make awesome pets, too.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
i wonder if that thing tastes more like mutton or pork?

but thats really cool. i love weird animals and i have never heard of that

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I wonder if it makes a good coat, can you spin or weave the hair? Is it like wool or more like a long hair?

Could be a good item to have on the old farm.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I think it's probably a fur.

See: www.cfainc.org...

I'm sure you could weave it if you want. Some people make yarn from cat hair. (No one I endorse, but some cat ladies out in the midwest do it.)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Holy cow! I mean sheep. I mean pig...

Check out the photos in ravenshadow's link. Curiouser and curiouser.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18db5308d1da.jpg[/atsimg]

That looks like some pretty serious wool to me, exile. As to the taste, I'm thinking bacon with a hint of mutton. (?)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
shig or peep, I can't make up my mind. Whatever, a pig with a perm will have a better shot at a date Friday night.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
People its not a sheep pig..lol.. its a Hungarian Pig and its very old species of pig.

LIKE style on the runway, style for pigs is changeable. With their abundant fat, the curly-haired Mangalitsa pigs of Hungary were all the rage a century ago. But as time went on, they became has-beens

View the pictures, its a hungarian.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0ddd503a541.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/383393b489f4.jpg[/atsimg]

But Peter Toth, a Hungarian animal geneticist, did not want this Hapsburg legacy to be lost. He has worked to save the pigs here on a farm with buildings of whitewashed stone, with roofs of thick thatch. Dimly lighted wooden pens filled with straw shelter piglets and nursing sows. Breeding boars and sows live in pens open at one end. On a tour of the farm, 100 miles east of Budapest, a bitter wind blew out of the Carpathian foothills just visible to the east.

LINK

And don't ask how I knew..lol.. As far as I know they used genes to help the species survive. After all they needed help.

[edit on Jun 10th 2009 by TheMythLives]

[edit on Jun 10th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Their are breeds of pigs that look like this. Nothing shocking really.

If you let a normal short haired pig loose into the wild they will eventually become feral and start growing hair like that.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

So it's a yeti pig?

Anyone know if sherpas are hairy?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Um..........what?

Are you saying feral pigs are not real? If you don't want to google them I can post you pics of feral pigs that look somewhat like this. They have the long hair that is somewhat curly.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Pigs in the wild? I thought Monsanto just crossed a bull with a guinea pig.

new topics

top topics

join